Riptide by Paul S. Kemp
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:26 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

As I was reading CN II, last night, one sentence stood out to me, and that was when Jax received his new lightsabre, and the prose read something like 'Jax could feel the Force coiled within it [the lightsabre]'. This got me to thinking about
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Okay, that might not make much sense, but that's my theory.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think it's dumb and I'm not even going to spend time trying to figure out how it works when the Expanded Universe already has non-Force users that create and use lightsabers and the lightsabers don't shut off when in Ysalamiri bubbles.

Instead I'll try to figure out how Tiber Septim was born in both Alcaire and Atmora.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It wasn't very well thought out, but I can't say the idea itself is one I dislike. If it wasn't for Grievous and the Ysalamiri, I might like it.

I'm not sure how much blame can be placed on Kemp as he is still new to Star Wars, but I'm surprised this got past Leland Chee. It is a significant part of the story.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Oh, I wasn't laying blame on anyone, it's just something I found myself pondering over.

Actually, when I read it, I was thinking that people would be annoyed that

but that's not been mentioned. Not on here, at least, and I don't visit other forums to know if it has been touched upon.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Alright, so...I absolutely loved the book. Thought it was incredible.

But yeah, I thought it was awesome. Just really loved it. Smile

Edit: Complaints! Must mention these:

1. Why in the world is Outcast the excerpt in the back? Horrible.
2. Kemp's writing style bugged me on two points, and confused me at the same time. I don't remember these trends with Crosscurrent or Deceived. First, he would describe or explain the exact same thing from several perspectives. It got very old very fast. For instance:

Sorry, but he did it several times, and it got old fast. Another thing was the amount of times the characters "said" something. It just seemed to be used way too often. "Jaden said..." "Khedryn said..." "Soldier said..." "Nyss said..." I got annoyed quick. But that's probably just me.

3. Also, the editing seemed to be a little less than stellar again. I noticed "off" in place of "of" more than once. And several completely missing words. Mostly articles, but still.

Don't mean for the cons to overshadow the pros, though, cause I still love the book. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Mara

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote  

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

It was amazing! Very Happy

“Actually, I don’t quite recall. But I was made, so the existence of my maker is beyond question. And since I consider my existence to be a good thing, he was without a doubt benevolent and forward thinking.”
~Allana Solo and C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Jaina Solo Fel wrote:

Huh!

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote  

I know Kemp said outside the book that his line of thinking was why didn't everyone have a lightsaber, however, I don't believe it was ever said that the user had to use the Force to use the lightsaber. According to Kemp, the Force is needed for the lightsaber itself to function. The actual crystal uses the force. Now Ysalamiri use their neutralizing Force bubble on vornskrs, and it works on humans. I'd imagine their talent was specifically designed against animal like predators, and not rocks, so maybe the way crystals use the Force is such a natural and distinct method, it's immune to the ysalamiri. In turn, what the Umbarans were doing was like creating a vortex to draw the Force away from the users so they couldn't use it. They could resist, but then they'd become overwhelmed.

Instead of targeting a specific person, the Umbarans were targeting the Force itself. That would be my stab at it.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ That would make sense. There's too many ways around this 'plot hole' for it to really bother me.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Lomi Plo also had the ability to shut down a lightsaber in DNT by somehow using the fears and doubts of the Force user against them. Not sure how much I actually like that particular plot device but eh.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Lomi Plo also had the ability to shut down a lightsaber in DNT by somehow using the fears and doubts of the Force user against them. Not sure how much I actually like that particular plot device but eh.

She was draining their power pack. I just don't understand why Kemp felt a need to explain that lightsabers require the Force, or explain why not everyone uses them. West End Games already explained that without the Force, their massless blade is difficult to wield without injuring yourself. It also provided "lightfoils," which are lightsabers created by non-Force users. And their wielders tended to have cybernetic limbs.

Under Kemp's explanation that -- I guess Force users put Force into the crystal when they attune to it? -- it doesn't make sense how lightfoils made by non-Force users work.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Kemp's explanation isn't original. The Jedi all used Force embued crystals. Ilum's crystals were naturally embued with the Force.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 6 of 7