Swearing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swearing
 PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Now, before the mods have a fit, this thread will remain clean Wink

I just want to know what everyone thinks about swearing in Star Wars. Personally, I really don't like it. I have nothing against real life swearing (within a limit) but in Star Wars it really annoys me.

First of all, the swear words sound stupid. "Kriff" does not sound like a release of anger. I'll try to keep this thread PG-13, but when your massive document gets deleted or you get injured, dropping an f-bomb almost melts into a scream. A prolonged "eee" does not really come as easily. I'm not really sure on the levels of badness of Star Wars swear words, but "kriff" would work as a short conscious, under the breath note-to-self, not a yell of helplessness and desperation, because that's what swearing is; you don't know how to express your anger, so you swear.

Secondly, they kind of alienate of from the books. In the middle of a tense situation, and you're cycling through all the possibilities, them someone says "frizz" you think "oh... that sounds silly" and I fail to take it seriousy for a bit. But maybe that's just me.

I prefer it when they call each other kath hounds or whatever, that sounds more believable.

Also, I just feel that Star Wars isn't really the place for swearing. It just doesn't fit. It's hard to explain.

Mods, he this is a bit too strong for the forums, feel free to remove it. Or should I put it in spoiler tags with a warning?

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

Re: Swearing
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

DannikJerriko wrote:
Now, before the mods have a fit, this thread will remain clean Wink

I just want to know what everyone thinks about swearing in Star Wars. Personally, I really don't like it. I have nothing against real life swearing (within a limit) but in Star Wars it really annoys me.

First of all, the swear words sound stupid. "Kriff" does not sound like a release of anger. I'll try to keep this thread PG-13, but when your massive document gets deleted or you get injured, dropping an f-bomb almost melts into a scream. A prolonged "eee" does not really come as easily. I'm not really sure on the levels of badness of Star Wars swear words, but "kriff" would work as a short conscious, under the breath note-to-self, not a yell of helplessness and desperation, because that's what swearing is; you don't know how to express your anger, so you swear.

Secondly, they kind of alienate of from the books. In the middle of a tense situation, and you're cycling through all the possibilities, them someone says "frizz" you think "oh... that sounds silly" and I fail to take it seriousy for a bit. But maybe that's just me.

I prefer it when they call each other kath hounds or whatever, that sounds more believable.

Also, I just feel that Star Wars isn't really the place for swearing. It just doesn't fit. It's hard to explain.

Mods, he this is a bit too strong for the forums, feel free to remove it. Or should I put it in spoiler tags with a warning?

As a Mod I'll let this thread slide for now.

I personally enjoy the swearing in my SW. I was very bummed when they pulled the word Frak out of Deceived. (it was in the ARC)

As for Kriff. it's just the work Frik which is a more polite F-bomb. I in fact use Kriffin a lot! I grew up in a family of Loggers and Sailors and Dairy Farmers, swearing is just what the "guys do" in my family. Sure you judge a group/ situation before flying off with a litany of swear words. I kind of miss Sithspawn and Sithspit. but then again those kind of died out fast. The one that irks me to a point if Blast. Blast doesn't seem like a bad word to me. So in that regards I feel you Dannik. Like Frak, the word needs to feel bad. Like with Firefly they made words like Goram, and Rutter. Swearing / slang will always be around in some form or fashion because it's just that; slang. The only reason we see swearing as "foul language" is because the royalty saw themselves above their peasant workers and didn't want their children speaking like the commoners. In fact it's almost surprising more of the SWEU planets aren't playing with local variants of words.

Like some authors will go so far as to say the character swore in many languages without giving us the words.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:25 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Yeah, I think it's better when they say "He cursed loudly", it lets you fill in the gap. I by no means think that characters should be dropping sweary-bombs all over the shop, that would make the books less accessible to younger children, and personally, would make me feel a bit uncomfortable. Star Wars has so many other ways to be edgy. They need not swear.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:14 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Bantha Poodoo which was used in the prequels were regarded as "swear words" in the galaxy.Jabba too in Jedi said stuff deemed in anger. But you are never going to hear real swear words in SW.

I hope not anyway theres enough other literature to get all that and more.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I said "Ah, kriff!" yesterday. Razz

Real world swear words can bother me if they're used too much. I don't mind one here or there to keep things realistic, but when you have characters saying, "I was walking down the ****ing street and this ****ing car almost ****ing hit me. Like ****! If you're going to drive a ****ing car, at least know how to ****ing drive!", it's just stupid and unnecessary.

That said, I have no problem with fake swear words as they are empty words.

As for 'kriff' not sounding strong enough, there are plenty of others that do sound strong. 'Kark' for example.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Reepicheep wrote:

Real world swear words can bother me if they're used too much. I don't mind one here or there to keep things realistic, but when you have characters saying, "I was walking down the ****ing street and this ****ing car almost ****ing hit me. Like ****! If you're going to drive a ****ing car, at least know how to ****ing drive!", it's just stupid and unnecessary.

You mean like this? (not for kids, comedy sketch making fun of the over-swearer) Again, mods feel free to remove the link.

As for them being empty, that's why I don't like them. To me, they don't convey anger or frustration. I just don't think Star Wars should contain swearing, real or fake, each for different reasons.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I've always preferred 'Sithspit'. It works really well for me. I just wish that SW had an equivalent to 'OMG'.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

darthrevan1 wrote:
Bantha Poodoo which was used in the prequels were regarded as "swear words" in the galaxy.Jabba too in Jedi said stuff deemed in anger. But you are never going to hear real swear words in SW.

Actually, you do. There are several in the films - the only one I can remember at the moment is when Han says 'then I'll see you in Hell'. Too, there are a good few real world swear words in the EU. I remember a Stackpole book that had some, and Kemp's books. I have no problem with this kind of swearing, though, and also no problem with imaginary swear words. The only thing I could object to is that they don't use harsher real world swear words. Somehow they're speaking our language(s), so why not all of it?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Life, that's what I think. They even use sayings stemmed from real world events, so it seems weird that they don't use real swear words, but it doesn't mean Luke should have a sweary pie when he gets his hand cut off.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The imaginary swear words honestly make more sense than any other than d*** and hell. In a different location different forms of harsh language would evolve.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Caedus_16 wrote:
The imaginary swear words honestly make more sense than any other than d*** and hell. In a different location different forms of harsh language would evolve.

I see your point. Instead of calling someone a Nazi, they say Sithspit.

Even in America and England, you say jack***, we say tw*t.

That's why I don't mind Bantha poodoo and stuff, it's their equivalent of bull****.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Life Is The Path wrote:
darthrevan1 wrote:

Actually, you do. There are several in the films - the only one I can remember at the moment is when Han says 'then I'll see you in Hell'. Too, there are a good few real world swear words in the EU. I remember a Stackpole book that had some, and Kemp's books. I have no problem with this kind of swearing, though, and also no problem with imaginary swear words. The only thing I could object to is that they don't use harsher real world swear words. Somehow they're speaking our language(s), so why not all of it?

Yeah but Hells not a swear word. Its just frowned on. We don't see calling Heaven a swear word so why should Hell be?

But as for the remove of swearing for children- to me this is a touchy subject- Kids get kid books all the time. So in that regard I enjoy ADULT aimed SW books. The end of the day in the real word is once you are 18 you can say anything you feel like. But in the SW universe even teens are practically considered adults. But again it gets back to how it's handled. I wouldn't enjoy say Luke Skywalker cursing up a storm. But a trooper or pirate I could see.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Reepicheep wrote:
I said "Ah, kriff!" yesterday. Razz

Sadly, I know people who actually talk like that. For no real reason.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Yeah but Hells not a swear word. Its just frowned on. We don't see calling Heaven a swear word so why should Hell be?

But as for the remove of swearing for children- to me this is a touchy subject- Kids get kid books all the time. So in that regard I enjoy ADULT aimed SW books. The end of the day in the real word is once you are 18 you can say anything you feel like. But in the SW universe even teens are practically considered adults. But again it gets back to how it's handled. I wouldn't enjoy say Luke Skywalker cursing up a storm. But a trooper or pirate I could see.

Just to be pedantic, I had a friend who'd get told off for saying 'Heaven (insert rest of the sentence here)' or 'oh God' or 'Jesus' because, and I quote, 'It distracts God and Jesus from helping poor people'. But I get your point about 'hell', I just chose that because it was the only one I could think up that I could say without it being automatically edited.

Quote:

That's true. Back in the old days, our swear words weren't even swear words. Instead we called people - if we were really riled up at them - jackenapes. Or ninnies. It changes. I just find it odd that our harsher words aren't used at all, even if they're not their swear words (though I think they would be, given that Basic has followed the same evolution as English has, from what little I've seen).
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DannikJerriko wrote:

As for them being empty, that's why I don't like them. To me, they don't convey anger or frustration.

But in the GFFA, they do have meaning. However for me, it's nice.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 2