Somewhere Over the Rainbow Lights in the Senate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somewhere Over the Rainbow Lights in the Senate
 PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

If you have entered this thread carrying a question mark, that is perfectly okay. That was the intended reaction. See...my sister (through my loving influence) loves Star Wars as well (though not as much as I do), and she's the type that likes to discuss every possible detail. She also remembers every possible detail. So she and her friend can discuss such things as what the Jedi council members were all wearing on any given day. Anyway...apparently they were watching RotS the other day and during the scene where Palpatine is announcing the new Empire, my sister piped up with the fact that the Jedi Academy trilogy states that there are rainbow lights in the senate. Her friend pointed out that she didn't see such a thing in said scene, and so they concluded that Palpatine must have hired an interior decorator once he became Emperor, and remodeled the Senate chamber, using rainbow lights. And so ensued a lengthy discussion. All this to say that in the end they came up with the crazy idea of Palpatine singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow to the Senate. And here are their new words:

Somewhere over the rainbow,
Way up high,
There is a land where you'll suffer,
And then you'll die.

Somewhere over the rainbow,
Skies are black,
And the dreams that you dream of,
Turn into nightmares and come back.

So I was wondering what interesting thoughts that inspired in the rest of you. It certainly had my mind spinning. Just wanted to share the insanity! Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Nice poem Laughing
Sadly I've never read the Jedi Academy Trilogy.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Well I have, but I don't remember anything about rainbow lights. She just read it the other day, though, and is quite insistent. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Movie vs Book
 PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Well, I guess it's no surprise for a book to say one thing and the movies to just forget about it. I guess you could say that only on days where the fate of the galaxy isn't being discussed they do have rainbow lights on; who knows? Very Happy

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote  

I wonder what a rainbow light would look like...would it be lots of lights all different colors or one light and it changes color?

If I was going to retcon it, I'd just say the lights only change color when there is a rainbow outside, hence "rainbow lights." Or maybe they appear only to species with wider visions. Very Happy

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Here's the excerpt straight from the book (which I don't even kind of remember):

Sunlight filtered through the fragmented crystal segments in the ceiling high overhead, fanning out the spectrum in a rainbow effect over the most important people at the center of the room, scintillating around them as they moved -- designed, Luke knew, by the Emperor himself to strike awe into those observing him.
Luke moved under the diffracting rainbow colors from the crystal light overhead.
He felt the rainbows around him from the crystal ceiling, seemingly full of power, and he felt warm inside.

*shrugs* So there you go. I suppose it's more of a prism effect than actual rainbow lights, but...same difference.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:13 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Maybe the stained glass windows got installed some time between RotS and ANH? It was almost 20 years where they could have changed a couple of things...and good old Palps just thought that the Senate was too dark and gloomy and wanted to bring some sunshine into his life? Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:55 am Reply with quote  

Who would have thought the Dark Lord of the Sith, destroyer of the Jedi Order, conqueror of the galaxy, would want to shine a little color on his podium. Emperor Palpatine...Sith Lord...or Interior Decorator? Shocked

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The very idea strkes fear into my heart. Sad

But, Darth Skuldren...I did have a request for you. Seeing as you appear to be quite the competent artist, using Paint or whatever it is, was wondering if you'd be inspired to make a visual for us of the 'rainbow lights in the Senate'. Perhaps even with Palpatine singing his lovely new song! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

jedipoodoo wrote:
Maybe the stained glass windows got installed some time between RotS and ANH? It was almost 20 years where they could have changed a couple of things...and good old Palps just thought that the Senate was too dark and gloomy and wanted to bring some sunshine into his life? Very Happy

Have you seen how white the Emperor is? He's never seen light in his life after he became the Emperor Laughing

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:36 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Who would have thought the Dark Lord of the Sith, destroyer of the Jedi Order, conqueror of the galaxy, would want to shine a little color on his podium. Emperor Palpatine...Sith Lord...or Interior Decorator? Shocked

Yes, he was a Sith of many, many talents Very Happy

@ Aush,

Maybe he sat away from the window, very fair skin is easily burned! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:04 am Reply with quote  

A technicolored Emperor...this could be interesting. No promises though. I'll have to see what I can find...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth Skuldren wrote:
A technicolored Emperor...this could be interesting. No promises though. I'll have to see what I can find...

Laughing Don't forget the ruby-red slippers! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Laughing I can't wait to see that! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote  

Well I have the image done, just a pic of Palps in the senate with some colorful tinting on his podium. I'll add the text tomorrow and post. Nothing fancy, but it does cover the historical aspect of it.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 2