Shadow Games by Michael Reaves and Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I finished Shadow Games. I guess it worked out that I didn't read Shadows of the Empire just before this because it wouldn't really have mattered. I thought the prose was ok, it wasn't bad like some SW authors but it wasn't outstanding like Stover's prose either. The highlight of the book is when Leebo misses his shot. Twice.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote  

See, I was trying to remember what Dash was like when I was reading the book, but I couldn't recall his part in Shadows of the Empire. I'd never read the comics and only played a little bit of the game, but I didn't remember him being a jerk. Shadow Games definitely doesn't reinforce that. Yet, it could be rectified by adding some event like you mentioned. Something that might jade him and make the other works fall in line with his portrayal.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
See, I was trying to remember what Dash was like when I was reading the book, but I couldn't recall his part in Shadows of the Empire. I'd never read the comics and only played a little bit of the game, but I didn't remember him being a jerk. Shadow Games definitely doesn't reinforce that. Yet, it could be rectified by adding some event like you mentioned. Something that might jade him and make the other works fall in line with his portrayal.

I think the original intent in SOTE was Xizor sabotaged Stanton Rendar's cargo ship, which crashed into Palpatine's Jedi/Sith museum resulting in Palpatine kicking Dash out of the Imperial Academy and screwing over Dash's family led to Dash being a jerk with something to prove.

I don't remember Dash knowing that Xizor sabotaged the ship or if that was ever even a important to Dash. He was in the Imperial Academy and his brother's ship crashed into Palpatine's thing so he got kicked out so now he's a hotshot smuggler trying to prove his worth.

The other problem with Dash being the protagonist, IMO, is he's obviously NOT accustomed to failure. The dude is absolutely shaken when he fails in SOTE. Which isn't to say that he fails in Shadow Games, but you would think that someone with that sort of confidence would never really feel the specter of failure at any time, which is something Dash does do in the novel.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I love that this wasn't the first appearance of Bannistar Station and the two guys that were effectively running it. They also appeared in "Small Victories," a four-part Rebellion comic storyline that (obviously) takes place after the book. I had no clue until I was finishing up At War With the Empire Volume 2 Omnibus. I love little nods to continuity like that!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:52 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

This book is set before SOTE so what I want to know is

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Go check Dash's Wookie page.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Cerrinea wrote:
Go check Dash's Wookie page.

Thanks Cerrinea I never thought to do that Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:32 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Just finished reading Shadow Games a few minutes ago. What surprised me was...

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Just finished reading Shadow Games a few minutes ago. What surprised me was...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

So there were continuity mistakes in a Reaves book, and the asleep-at-the-wheel editors didn't catch them?

I'm shocked, shocked. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Arawn_Fenn wrote:
So there were continuity mistakes in a Reaves book, and the asleep-at-the-wheel editors didn't catch them?

I'm shocked, shocked. Rolling Eyes

Every time people rib on Reaves for any "mistakes" in his books (and I use the term in quotations because we're talking about flubbing fictional facts in a fictional universe), I go read his blog and just feel really sad that he suffers through enough as is.

http://michaelreaveswriter.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Was he just diagnosed recently? I remember hearing that he had medical issues when he was writing Coruscant Nights.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
Was he just diagnosed recently? I remember hearing that he had medical issues when he was writing Coruscant Nights.

He's had it for 20 years, and its gotten very bad within the last five years.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

VileZero wrote:
Every time people rib on Reaves for any "mistakes" in his books (and I use the term in quotations because we're talking about flubbing fictional facts in a fictional universe), I go read his blog and just feel really sad that he suffers through enough as is.

They're still mistakes despite the fact that the subject matter is a fictional universe. When a writer can't figure out the number of years between TPM and ROTS, and ends up giving three different incorrect answers in the same book, you'd be hard pressed to argue there's no mistake. And you'll note my post didn't focus solely on Reaves, but also blamed the so-called "editors". If these manuscripts were being checked by anyone with half a brain and/or a passing familiarity with the timeline, authors' problems wouldn't matter, because mistakes could be corrected before the books hit the presses. But it's become increasingly evident that the manuscripts essentially get nothing more than a spell check. The so-called "editing" is the responsibility of people who apparently have the same aversion to SW and lack of attention that you could find in any prequel hater pulled from the general population, and the readers are constantly getting screwed as a result.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Arawn_Fenn wrote:
and the readers are constantly getting screwed as a result.

I disagree. If a book has incorrect dates, and it pulls you out of the story so hard that you feel the need to complain about an incorrect date found in a 300+ page book, I'd argue that the problem lies with the reader.

Seriously, are people reading these books with Wookieepedia up to search everything? Just enjoy the book, and if something bounces by that's wrong, just roll your eyes. Not everything is perfect, we can't even get our OWN history straight.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 4 of 6