Star Wars - Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Wars - Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

This game is absolutely amazing! I am enjoying it to the max. I would definitely rank this as one of the best Star Wars games of all time. It's similar to Jedi Academy as far as gameplay goes, but the storyline is better. Main thing that's blowing me away are the advancements from Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith. Those games were good, but the graphics were so...bad! This game has leapt above and beyond either of those. Being a programmer myself, I'm blown away by what they've done with this game. The details are so perfect, that it's actually difficult to find the things you have to do, like hit little switches on the wall and such. They're so realistically blended into the environment that it's not sticking out like in most games where you might as well hang a blinking neon sign screaming, "Here I am!"

The way the game handles is beautiful, the enemies are annoyingly smart and refreshingly random (unlike so many games where the AI is stupid and predictable), and I just can't gush enough about it.

If you've never played this game, you must! It'd be hard to play it without having played the previous games (storyline wise), but even so, you should go for it. It's an amazing game.

Last praise is to all older games in general. It's gotten old in games like TFU where they pretty much tell you exactly where to go and what to do, essentially holding your hand, and there's next to no challenge to the game. With these games such as Dark Forces, Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, Mysteries of the Sith, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, etc., you actually have to think to puzzle things out and figure out what to do next. Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith were actually a bit too hard at times, to the point that you didn't want to play anymore, but Jedi Outcast nails it perfectly.

Overall, I am really loving this game. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

agreed!!! i managed to get this game in the "Star Wars: best of PC" game pack and love it, the story is absolutly thrilling and you dont really get a sense like what your doing is unnessasary. every part of the game is important. Katarn's character is excellent in terms of an emotional drive to take revenge for Jan

Outcast is my #2 star wars game next to Kotor 2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Another thing I loved about this game were the conversations amongst the stormtroopers! As long as you were sneaking around behind them and they didn't know you were there, they'd carry on these conversations. I never heard the same one twice, and they were ridiculously interesting! Sometimes I'd just stop and listen, ha! Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I have been playing Jedi Academy recently, which is actually more fun than I thought it would be. It's fun to sneak up on the troopers and dark Jedi in this one too. They say the weirdest things sometimes... Exclamation

Re: Star Wars - Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
 PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:59 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
This game is absolutely amazing! I am enjoying it to the max. I would definitely rank this as one of the best Star Wars games of all time. It's similar to Jedi Academy as far as gameplay goes, but the storyline is better. Main thing that's blowing me away are the advancements from Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith. Those games were good, but the graphics were so...bad! This game has leapt above and beyond either of those. Being a programmer myself, I'm blown away by what they've done with this game. The details are so perfect, that it's actually difficult to find the things you have to do, like hit little switches on the wall and such. They're so realistically blended into the environment that it's not sticking out like in most games where you might as well hang a blinking neon sign screaming, "Here I am!"

The way the game handles is beautiful, the enemies are annoyingly smart and refreshingly random (unlike so many games where the AI is stupid and predictable), and I just can't gush enough about it.

If you've never played this game, you must! It'd be hard to play it without having played the previous games (storyline wise), but even so, you should go for it. It's an amazing game.

Last praise is to all older games in general. It's gotten old in games like TFU where they pretty much tell you exactly where to go and what to do, essentially holding your hand, and there's next to no challenge to the game. With these games such as Dark Forces, Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, Mysteries of the Sith, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, etc., you actually have to think to puzzle things out and figure out what to do next. Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith were actually a bit too hard at times, to the point that you didn't want to play anymore, but Jedi Outcast nails it perfectly.

Overall, I am really loving this game. Smile

Can you buy this on its own? Sounds like my kind of game.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

It can be, yep: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Jedi-Knight-Outcast-Pc/dp/B00005LABK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323806796&sr=8-1

I'm sure the Xbox and Gamecube version can be found online as well.

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's on Steam too.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I just ordered this for Xbox from Amazon.com. I'm sure its going to be fun.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I kind of want to play it again, myself. Such a great game. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Be sure to play Jedi Academy as well if you enjoyed Jedi Outcast!

Man I sunk so many hours into Jedi Academy back in 04-06 online, it was so addicting.

Page 1 of 1