Your Earliest Memory of Star Wars
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Your Earliest Memory of Star Wars
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

So what was your first memory of Star Wars? It doesn't really matter whether you knew it was Star Wars or not, for example mine; I remember getting the little plastic mini busts of Qui Gon and Jar Jar from a cereal box when I was like 4 but I didn't know who or what they were. I also remember having a LEGO AT-ST with Chewie and I think some stormtroopers but having no idea what it was. I also remember having a TIE Fighter with two pilots but, again, not knowing what they were. All of this is in hindsight, I hadn't even heard of Star Was until about 7 years later, only now do I realise what I had.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:18 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The movies are definitely my earliest memory, because I honestly can't remember ever not having seen them. However, my earliest memory intentionally related to Star Wars was when we were building our new house when I was...8. There were these H-shaped metal pieces littering the yard from something used in the construction. I remember picking one up and exclaiming to my sister, "Hey! It looks like a TIE fighter!" Now...at 8 years old, knowing what a TIE fighter was means I'd seen the movies a good amount of times. Like I said, I have no memory of not having seen them. Anyway, we ran around like crazy people picking up all the little TIE pieces off the ground, in the hopes to build a miniature Imperial Navy. Our motivation was usually very short lived when it came to our childhood brainstorms, so I think we abandoned the idea fairly quickly. But that is quite the vivid memory I recall. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote  

My earliest memory was seeing an advertisement for Star Wars action figures and an X-Wing fighter (the ones from the '90s). They seemed very cool and I asked my folks about them which led to my dad showing me the opening to ANH. As I recall he thought Vader's entry onto the Blockade Runner would scare me but my memory is that I was in awe of it. I've been a Star Wars fan ever since, possibly why ANH still really stands out to me too. (and for the record it was the version where Han shot first! )

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I remember quite vividly my first Star Wars memory. I was in a shop called MVC (a very large store that housed music, video and games) and I was with my dad and sister, who were picking up, for my mother, the special edition box set of the OT. There were huge displays all around the front of the store, and the shop was more filled and more active than normal. I thought it was weird for them to get so worked up over a movie. How young I was. We queued up, and I was 'lucky' enough to hold the box set in line. I put that word in quotation marks because I didn't think myself as lucky for holding what was seen as an important gift, but rather because, when I pulled apart the covers, they made a little fart noise. Over and over I'd do this fart noise. I'd lower the box to the rear ends of random people, pull it open, and look at them in an appalled way, to walk away while shaking my head. Then do it again.

Later that night, we all sat down to watch it. Mum and Dad were pretty excited. My sister was also excited, having seen something of them before hand. She kept on saying how some alien called 'Yoda' was her favourite. I was feeling a little excited, 'feeding off their vibes', to borrow a friend's phrase. But mainly I was just enjoying the fart noise. Sat through the little documentary at the beginning. 'That's nice. Whack the fence to make a sound. Nice' *makes fart noise* 'Cool model. What's a death star?' *makes fart noise* 'When's the movie going to start?' *Starts making fart noise, to be stopped by the scene crawl* And from that moment on I was enraptured. And only occasionally made the fart noise.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:43 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

My earliest memories are from TESB. Had a Hoth Stormtrooper and Luke in Hoth gear. I then saw ANH and was blown away by the battle of Yavin. I became a life long fan then.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was 3 or 4 (I think). We were on holliday and went in an open air theatre. All that I remember is that there were black-grey spaceships shooting down white+red space ships. It was epic!

I know now that it was ANH.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:00 am Reply with quote  

I have to say I'm appalled that Life's earliest Star Wars memory was dominated by fart noises Laughing

My earliest Star Wars memory is of R2-D2 and C-3PO wandering through the desert. Though I'm not sure if it was from A New Hope or Return of the Jedi.

[Image from A New Hope]
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

I also recalled a bar full of aliens and that always captured my imagination. I couldn't remember any of the details, I couldn't even remember what they looked like, but I remembered there being lots of very strange looking people and creatures in a bar and that seemed really neat to me. This is all around age 3 or 4 with memories gathered from watching Star Wars on TV. At some point I realized we had the movie on VHS so I could watch it when ever I wanted. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Back to the Future became a steady diet for me.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I doubt it was my first memory, but my first vivid memory was when TPM came out. I remember that the promotions were everywhere. A giant cardboard Jar-Jar in the grocery store, Star Wars pop cans, toys, calendars etc etc.

Star Wars always interested me as a child, but I never saw them (the OT) until I was about 12 with my uncle. Star Wars was generally frowned upon in my house. I'm not entirely sure why, but even to this day I'm the only one who can sit through a Star Wars movie. I always admired it from a glance though (especially the Lego) and my best friend was always telling me about the movies so when I finally saw them, many of the details were familiar. I saw all these characters, ships and events that I'd seen and heard of brought to life.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

My first memory is of wandering into the living room when I was about 7 and finding my mom watching A New Hope. I asked her what it was and she said "Star Wars," Pretty sure I made a comment about it being a boy's movie, but I plopped down and started watching. I then demanded to see the other two and my mother now regrets ever bringing them into the house. Very Happy

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Opening the Episode 1 cassette when I was little, it was in this cool box and everything, I remember that being great, since I didn't know what it was yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:41 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Pretty sure it wasn't my first time with anything SW but my most cherished memory has to be my first two SW figures. I went to KB Toys with my father and he bought me Hoth Luke Skywalker and a Sand Stormtrooper. Easily my two favorite figures to this day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

My earliest memory is seeing the speeder bike chase from ROTJ. I don't know where I saw it or how old I was, but I know I was very young.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

My earliest memory of star wars is jabbas palace and luke killing the rancor. I even remember on christmas day when i was really young ROTJ was on tv so my dad plugged in some huge headphones into the tv and i sat there by myself watching it while everyone else was playing musical chairs (hopefully everyone knows that game).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:

My old Math teacher told me that was his first memory of Star Wars also. Razz

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 2