Daala
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

lol...im surprised u actually had expectations of her Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote  

How could you not find the Maw Irregular Fleet cool (that's probably the reason I began to like her)? The fact that got thrown away is just one example of how they degraded the coolness they were creating for her character.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Believe it or nt...when she was A renegade -loose cannon- Imperial...who had lost pretty much evyting...and was facing a volly of defeats...i actually had sympathy fr her...
But Her Sudden Return And Oh So Easy ReturN To The ToP...it left a sour taste=/
++++

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:33 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I always, from JAT onward, equated Daala with a Force ability-less Palpatine, an opinion that the FOTJ series seems to have reinforced, right down to the dirty fighting power grab (Ep. III=Palpatine; FOTJ=Daala).

That said, for a non-Force sensitive villian, she's pretty skilled in her own right... She'd have to be, to reach the rank that she did, assuming the rumors within GFFA about how she reached it were fabricated, the whole thing with Tarkin.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

We've seen her with Tarkin, so I don't think the rumors are untrue... She was also with the Bothan admiral, Bwua'tu -- whom happens to be the person that nominated her for Chief of State after turning it down himself. So......

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Etain_Skirata wrote:
I always, from JAT onward, equated Daala with a Force ability-less Palpatine, an opinion that the FOTJ series seems to have reinforced, right down to the dirty fighting power grab (Ep. III=Palpatine; FOTJ=Daala).

That said, for a non-Force sensitive villian, she's pretty skilled in her own right... She'd have to be, to reach the rank that she did, assuming the rumors within GFFA about how she reached it were fabricated, the whole thing with Tarkin.

It was the moffs and the other Imperial admirals who said Daala made admiral because she was Tarkin's mistress. She was Tarkin's mistress and supposedly she made admiral on her own merit. But I'm still wondering what that merit was because Daala was a total lunatic when she was introduced in Jedi Academy Trilogy. She lost just about every battle she fought. The first time we actually see her being effective is in Planet of Twilight when she stops the Death Seed plague.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

There are only two female Imperial villians: Ysanne Isard and Natasi Daala. Daala represents to me a female stereotype. She's emotional. She's kooky. She's sleeps her way to get power. (Although, considering how anti-feminist and highly populated with males the New Order was, I might consider that a winning strategy.)

Are there any female Imperial villains not closely linked to high ranking officers? Ysanne Isard was getting cozy with Palpatine. Nyna Calixte slept with Morrish Veed. Daala had Tarkin. Love lives aren't discussed when it comes to male Imperial officers (like Pellaeon, Baron Fel, etc.) Does anyone think that Warlord Zsnji slept his way to the top? I'd rather discuss Daala's merits (or the lack thereof), not her love life.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Daala has merits?

You do bring up a good point. I'm not sure if it was merely thoughtlessness on the part of the writers, or that they intentionally made it so that the female Imperials slept their way to the top, given that the Empire was supposedly chauvinistic, and thus focused on that instead of their merits. I'm guessing that was the focus because that's what they had to do, to gain power. For men it's not necessary, and so not the focus.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I'm not a huge fan of Daala, but I thought she was a good villain, both in her first appearances and in Fate of the Jedi. I haven't finished the FOTJ books that are out, so I don't know what happens with her past the middle part of Conviction, but so far the writer did a good job with making her a threat, and making the reader hate her the way you are supposed to hate a villain. I loved it when

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Niner wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of Daala, but I thought she was a good villain, both in her first appearances and in Fate of the Jedi. I haven't finished the FOTJ books that are out, so I don't know what happens with her past the middle part of Conviction, but so far the writer did a good job with making her a threat, and making the reader hate her the way you are supposed to hate a villain. I loved it when

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Niner wrote:

Actually, this was "explained" at the end of Invincible. "Explained" meaning it was tossed in as a one sentence explanation in a paragraph or two of explanations to the ending of all subplots in a 9 book series. Nothing further was offered in Outcast or Omen. So...yeah.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:

Actually, this was "explained" at the end of Invincible. "Explained" meaning it was tossed in as a one sentence explanation in a paragraph or two of explanations to the ending of all subplots in a 9 book series. Nothing further was offered in Outcast or Omen. So...yeah.

Yeah that's what I meant by never really explained. Cause it's one of the more fantastic things that's happened in the EU -- and I don't mean fantastic in a good way. lol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

“Daala might not be that bad,” her father said. “Give her a chance.”

Good call, Han.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 2 of 2