Overrated Media
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Revenge of the Sith novelization is probably the single best Star Wars novel.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

"All things die, Anakin Skywalker. Even stars burn out."

I will never forget that quote. It sticks with me even in the real world as a very profound statement. RotS was simply a brilliantly written novel. Definitely one of the best books I have ever read.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Although I have to admit I think Traitor gives it a run for its money, plus since it's double tie-in (having to balance being written in a shared universe and adapting a story in that universe) Stover is somewhat more limited in writing it than he was Traitor, which he was pretty much able to throw whatever he wanted into it and even the Star Wars veneer wasn't really required given the circumstances. You could really put that book into pretty much ANY fictional universe because what it writes about the Force could be applicable to anything, even reality, with minor tweaking.

I guess it's a good question whether Jacen had a stronger arc in Traitor or Anakin had a stronger arc in the ROTS novel. I'm inclined to say that Stover was constrained with Anakin's arc.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
Although I have to admit I think Traitor gives it a run for its money, plus since it's double tie-in (having to balance being written in a shared universe and adapting a story in that universe) Stover is somewhat more limited in writing it than he was Traitor, which he was pretty much able to throw whatever he wanted into it and even the Star Wars veneer wasn't really required given the circumstances. You could really put that book into pretty much ANY fictional universe because what it writes about the Force could be applicable to anything, even reality, with minor tweaking.

I guess it's a good question whether Jacen had a stronger arc in Traitor or Anakin had a stronger arc in the ROTS novel. I'm inclined to say that Stover was constrained with Anakin's arc.

I think Jacen's was stronger, but it was ruined by later installments. RotS stayed strong because it made what was mediocre better. I think that the Anakin from the novel will always trump the film version for me, and I like that. It made the novel better. The internal dialogue made it brilliant.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Crash Override wrote:

I think Jacen's was stronger, but it was ruined by later installments. RotS stayed strong because it made what was mediocre better. I think that the Anakin from the novel will always trump the film version for me, and I like that. It made the novel better. The internal dialogue made it brilliant.

I mean examining Traitor on its own. And Jacen's arc through NJO remained true to it. For me, after NJO simply didn't happen.

But you point out my problem with continuity and/or modern EU. They ruined Traitor. THEY RUINED A MASTERPIECE.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Caedus_16 wrote:

Harry Potter is an epic that took a couple installments to find its feet but was brilliant by the last one and then ruined because the author continues to say things about it after its over that have nothing to do with the story.

Now I'm really curious. How has anything Rowling has ever said ruined the series? She's provided more information, sure, but how has that taken anything away from it?

And RotS is my third favorite Star Wars films. Throwing that out there. Very Happy

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:

I will never forget that quote. It sticks with me even in the real world as a very profound statement. RotS was simply a brilliantly written novel. Definitely one of the best books I have ever read.

It is indeed an amazing quote. See my signature. Smile I will say that the RotS novel and Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor are my two favorite Star Wars books. All hail Stover!

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
@Reep: The entire ending was anti-climactic. Coin was killed, but what happened to the government? And not the simple explanation we got, I mean really? What happened? What happened to the world? What happened with the districts? The entire world changed that day, what was the consequence? I didn't give two craps about the resolution to the romantic plot, I knew how that would end. I wanted to know things that mattered. Its the same as in the first book: despite the fact that these people grew up in a dystopian future and suffered their whole lives and their priorities are food and survival they all behave like spoiled, ditsy Americans. It just bothered me because it was what ruined the first one. The second one was the only one that truly handled that well.

The ending gave me all I needed. I think it's fair to assume a new government was successfully set up and there was enough hints that the new government was not destined to become Paradise. I like the vagueness, personally.

Queen Padme Skywalker wrote:
Now I'm really curious. How has anything Rowling has ever said ruined the series? She's provided more information, sure, but how has that taken anything away from it?

*coughDumbledorecough*

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That is one of the best quotes from any Star Wars book ever. And I think ROTS novel may just be The best Star Wars book. Period.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Reepicheep wrote:

Queen Padme Skywalker wrote:

*coughDumbledorecough*

Rolling Eyes Did anyone really care about that beyond making jokes about it?

But, really, you can like or dislike what she's said, but I think it's stretching it to say that the series is ruined. I can't see how it would take away any enjoyment from it.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:

That is one of the best quotes from any Star Wars book ever. And I think ROTS novel may just be The best Star Wars book. Period.

Revenge of the Sith is a pretty quotable novel. My signature at TFN is:

Together, they are unstoppable. Unbeatable.
They are the ultimate go-to guys of the Jedi Order.
When the Good Guys absolutely, positively have to win, the call goes out.
Obi-Wan and Anakin always answer.

I think that Matt Stover has a mythic quality to his writing that really suits Star Wars.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

You're right, Crash. The Ganner quote and the RotS quote are the two best quotes of all Star Wars novels. I do believe I am locking in my vote. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

One of my favorites quotes from the book is this one:

It was the end of the age of heroes, but it had saved its best for last.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Man, I gotta start a new thread.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This is Obi-Wan Kenobi: A phenomenal pilot who doesn't like to fly. A devastating warrior who'd rather not fight. A negotiator without peer who frankly prefers to sit alone in a quiet cave and meditate. Jedi Master. General in the Grand Army of the Republic. Member of the Jedi Council. His relationship with Anakin has molded him into the great Jedi Qui-Gon always said he might someday be.

It is characteristic of Obi-Wan that he is completely unaware of this.

He is respected throughout the Jedi Order for his insight as well as his warrior skill. He has become the hero of the next generation of Padawans; he is the Jedi their Masters always hold up as a model. He is the being that the Council assigns to their most important missions. He is modest, centred, and always kind.

He is the ultimate Jedi.
-Matthew Stover, Revenge of the Sith novelization

My favorite part. Smile No one can top this deffinition of Obi-Wan.

Back to topic:

Though some of you have previously stated basically the same thing:

Avatar: I don't like it because its basicly a more modern Dances with wolves.

Matrix 2+3:I liked the first film, but the sequels have a totaly differend vibe then the first. Like I wasn't even watcheing the same trilogy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus, I have a question. You said you didn't like the ending of Mockingjay because it left the fate of Panem more or less in the air. Now, what I want to know is, how is this any different from Return of the Jedi? Surely that wasn't the entire Imperial army at Endor (and if you've read the EU you know it wasn't), yet the story ended there because the story of Luke, Leia and Han was complete. They're the reason I kept watching and Katniss was the reason I kept reading. Once her story is done, Panem can look after itself. The rebels might run into roadblocks, but they'll succeed eventually. In both Return of the Jedi and Mockingjay we get the sense that a new government is being set up, but we don't get the specifics- probably because they're irrelevant.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 6 of 8