Why I love TOR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Why I love TOR
 PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:16 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Ok Im thinking of this for a while. Why do I love TOR because I didnt always.

Well there are numerous reasons. When I saw the OT the jedi were all but extinct and the sith ruled the galaxy. What was the Sith? Who are they? No clue other then Darth Vader was a sith lord. I didnt even realise the emperor was when I saw the OT the first time. Who were the jedi exactly? Details of the order were scarce back in the mid eighties.

Then TEU properly got started in 1991 with a trilogy set after Jedi not in the past. I lapped it up but most of the EU were set after Jedi with no real Sith. I wanted to know the history of the Jedi Sith conflict. Imperial warlord stories set in the wake of Jedi started to bore me. The OR comics that came out wasnt enough. I needed to have a proper book about the era.

Then Path Of Destruction hit the shelves and Im thinking Hmm maybe this could be interesting. The prequels mention Darth Bane and heres a book about him. In fact the prequels didnt satify my interest for the past. This might. I was blown away by the trilogy of Bane books. And of course I loved FA. I wanted to pick up all I could about TOR and I of course played KOTOR and KOTOR videogames.

What I love about TOR books is that they are almost like history books. A history of the SW galaxy. Suddenly the Sith are no longer as mysterious as they once were. And they had some very interesting characters like Revan and Malgus and Chratis and of course Bane. So I pore over every detail of this era. I love it. Its far more interesting then TCW era or a lot of the post NJO books. Although I do like TFOTJ series.

So these OR books are like to me historic documents. Its how I see them. I realise the Jedi are not as good as TOT depicted them and that Yoda is not as wise as he thinks he is. Yoda was wrong about a lot of things. What surprises me is that Yoda did not know about Revan, a guy who saved the galaxy, he was a jedi, became a sith and returned to the light. Although I havent read all of Revan yet so maybe he falls again. Jedi could technically go to the DS but return. Luke too dabbled in the DS and returned as of course did Vader. And others.

Im sure there will be many examples of this in TOR era and Im anxious to find out more.

Great stuff and long may we read about this era.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

TOR hasn't impressed me. I'm not a gamer and the books have been decent.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Reepicheep wrote:
TOR hasn't impressed me. I'm not a gamer and the books have been decent.

KOTOR is a class game but its the books that do it for me. So far.....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

How do you know Yoda didn't know about Revan?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yoda says that "once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

That's not mutually exclusive with redemption. After becoming Darth Revan, his destiny was dominated by it, even after returning to the light.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

darthrevan1 wrote:
The prequels mention Darth Bane

The prequel novelizations ( specifically the ones for TPM and ROTS ), technically.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1