The Unofficial EUCantina Timeline of Works.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Unofficial EUCantina Timeline of Works.
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This timeline was originally posted on TOS forums before they were closed as a way to keep track of books and comics in the order they occurred in-universe. I am now keeping it updated here.

I endeavor to keep the timeline spreadsheat updated every 3 to 6 months including all released and major forthcoming material.

The Chronological in-universe eras and dates are used to place the works. Works are placed as a whole, even though some occur during events of another. Rather than alternating chapters between the books, they are placed in the closest to a chronological order. This allows placement of works of a complete nature. (For example, Episode I Adventures is listed after Episode I, even though it occurs in the middle)

REASONS FOR WORK PLACEMENT

Most works are placed by official timeline records from LFL, where available.

For those without an official record of date, their place is estimated based on references to other works, and implications on the state of the galaxy. For example, the absence of C3P0 and R2D2 from Allegiance allows the implication for the two Science Adventures junior novels to be placed concurrently in the timeline.

In a few cases, the placement here will differ from the official timeline placements including:
- The Clone Wars - recently updated and revised
- Various Omnibus Comics which are mis-labeled
- Dark Forces Rebel Agent and Jedi Knight

Input from anyone else who notices a work I've missed or misplaced is always welcome, as is debate for anything that I've placed by implication to form a consensus and find the best placement.

TIMELINE

THE TIMELINE OF EVERYTHING

VISUAL REFERENCE:

FORTHCOMING

Last edited by Darth_Henning on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:10 pm; edited 3 times in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Isn't this kind of exactly the thread I just made?

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DannikJerriko wrote:
Isn't this kind of exactly the thread I just made?

Not at all, and I'm sorry if it seemd that, but I'm not sure why it would have come across that way

Yours is aimed at people disucssing/listing what they've read, regardless of how much or how little, and talking about the order in which they read them:

...everyone can post whatever EU books or comics they've read, ...Once you've finished your book or played a new game, come back, edit your post and put it in......order you read them, as that's a good way to document your way through the EU, but you don't have to if you can't remember the order. ...Try to just put ones you have completed....

Mine is aimed at an in-universe chronology for those who want to know what order the works appear in, regardless of whether they've read them or not. Basically an expanded and more detailed of the timelines that they include in the front of the novels (or a massively cut down version of Nathan's Timeline gold, however you want to look at it).

In my case the two happen to overlap for 99%, but for most people I suspect it will not.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Oh, ok; an in-universe chronology. I thought it was all the books that you've (that's you as in you, Darth_Henning, not you as in the general term for people) read. Never mind.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DannikJerriko wrote:
Oh, ok; an in-universe chronology. I thought it was all the books that you've (that's you as in you, Darth_Henning, not you as in the general term for people) read. Never mind.

No worries. I just figured since the powers that be have never bothered to do this, its up to one of the fans. Started this about 2 years back on the official site, figured it was about time I put it back up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Yeah, I remember this, back on the TOS. It was quite a wonder, and definitely helpful when determining the placing of things when The Wook offered incorrect entries. I'll help as much as I can, though I suspect I'll be outmatched.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Any and all help is welcome.

There's a few things on here that I didn't know existed until someone pointed them out to me on TOS (mostly the Darkworlds, and weekly UK comics), so I'm far from perfect. And some of my assumptions on placemment may be altered by future works and I haven't picked up on it yet.

I annotated my printed copy last night, so I'll be updating today, and hopefully adding photo links also.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

And now updated as to all current and announced releases.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Nice, very nice... Just printed it out to serve as a back-up reference for my timeline-work (which has begun anew.... yes, for the 3rd and final time!)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Okay, I've finally managed to have a quick look at that timeline of yours. I spotted one or two things that didn't sound right to me, but you probably know more than I on this subject, but I thought I'd bring them up, just the same.

Henning, I was under the impression, from a line in the book, that Revan took place two years after KOTOR - in your timeline it says only one.

I'm almost positive Knight Errant: Deluge takes place after the events of the novel.

The timing of the Bane novels is ambiguous. I know Path of Destruction takes place over a time span of twenty years or so, so I think Bane of the Sith should take place in 1000BBY (and thus the following novels to take place in the 900s).

At 34BBY there's an entry called 'Obi'-Wan'. I can't be sure, but I think you mean the game. In that case, I'd put it closer to 32BBY, since it's set just before and during the events of Ep I.

You spelled Rendezvous in Yoda: Dark Rendezvous wrong Wink

I'm sorry, I wish I could be of more help.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Last edited by Life Is The Path on Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Another few issues I saw:

-The Darth Bane books take place in 1000, 990, and 980 BBY, not 1020, 1010, and 1000. The timeline in the front of most old books is wrong.
-The Old Republic: Blood of the Empire is in 3678 BBY. The comic says "25 years before the Treaty of Coruscant". The only stories that take place in 3653 BBY are Threat of Peace and Deceived. The rest take place well before (Blood of the Empire) or well after (The Lost Suns and Fatal Alliance are about 10 years ATC, but the dates are unconfirmed).

Those were my initial notes. More to come when I get a better chance to read it.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:32 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Life Is The Path wrote:
I was under the impression, from a line in the book, that Revan took place two years after KOTOR - in your timeline it says only one.

Only Part 1 of the novel takes place two years after KOTOR. Part 2 takes place not long after KOTOR 2.

Also, the Coruscant Nights section needs correcting. Each book, including the one not yet out, is listed as taking place in 18.5 BBY, and the second book is listed as "Chiascuro", an apparent misspelling of Chiaroscuro, the originally planned title for the book. However, the book was released as Street of Shadows instead, and the dates given by Rostoni for the first three books are:

Jedi Twilight: 18.8 BBY
Street of Shadows: 18.46 BBY ( except for the prologue which is in 19 BBY )
Patterns of Force: 18.3 BBY

Thus, wherever the fourth book ends up in the timeline, it will undoubtedly be later than 18.5 BBY.

I think Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter should be placed in 32 BBY instead of 32.5 BBY, since by the end of the book Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are already leaving for Naboo and TPM is about to start.

Placing Jango Fett: Open Seasons at 32 BBY is accurate in terms of the frame story and Dooku's recruitment of Jango, but much of the content takes place earlier, and Galidraan's placement in particular has been the subject of much debate.

Also, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor supposedly takes place in 5.1 ABY, not 5.2 ABY.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that Shadow Hunter doesn't immediately precede The Phantom Menace due to some intervening story...? I think it involves Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon going to another planet, or just Obi-Wan going to another planet alone and then meeting up with Qui-Gon? I'm thinking maybe the video game Star Wars: Obi-Wan? Or maybe some comic?

It's not something that would move Shadow Hunter back six months but I'm curious if anyone else knows what I'm thinking of or if I just dreamed it or something?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:22 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm not sure about the timeline's placement of Cloak of Deception in 33 BBY; Wookieepedia places it "less than a year before TPM" and in "33-32 BBY", while insisting on another page that the Eriadu summit took place in 33 BBY, but the book ends with Sidious suggesting the idea of the Naboo blockade to Gunray.

Last edited by Arawn_Fenn on Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This is one of the instances where I really appreciate continuity in the Expanded Universe, btw, which makes me think I'm going to enjoy Plagueis based on the excerpt in the other thread. That is, I like that the EU fleshes out the groundwork that was laid prior to Episode I by Sidious and Maul and that they sort of form a narrative, with Maul weakening corporations, Senator Palpatine providing the catalyst to that summit, Monchar appearing in the Maul miniseries while Maul is wrecking Black Sun, Maul hunting Monchar afterward, and so forth.

I think it's really Luceno that does that type of writing well. I liked how he had Anakin and Obi-Wan retracing thirteen year old footsteps in LoE.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 3