Log in to check your private messages
The Unofficial EUCantina Timeline of Works.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Alan Skywalker V
Master
Master

Joined: 10 Apr 2011
Posts: 602

I, too, found the Shadow Hunter situation a bit curious. I never could understand why it was placed 6 months before TPM instead of shortly before.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:00 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Darth_Henning
Master
Master

Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Posts: 526
Location: Canada

Eddie wrote:
Nice, very nice... Just printed it out to serve as a back-up reference for my timeline-work (which has begun anew.... yes, for the 3rd and final time!)


Glad You like it. Hopefully it will help.

Life Is The Path wrote:
Okay, I've finally managed to have a quick look at that timeline of yours. I spotted one or two things that didn't sound right to me, but you probably know more than I on this subject, but I thought I'd bring them up, just the same.


Please always do (you or anyone). While I do have a fairly extensive knowledge (or I like to think so at least), many people have found ommissions and mistakes. I know a lot, but far FAR from everything.


Life Is The Path wrote:
Henning, I was under the impression, from a line in the book, that Revan took place two years after KOTOR - in your timeline it says only one.


I have only just started reading that. I'm estimating really.

Arawn_Fenn wrote:


Only Part 1 of the novel takes place two years after KOTOR. Part 2 takes place not long after KOTOR 2.


Thanks. I'm going to leave it where it is therefore, as that was also my understanding.


Life Is The Path wrote:

I'm almost positive Knight Errant: Deluge takes place after the events of the novel.


I only read comics after they've been collected into a Trade, so the new ones I often estimate until I can confirm.

A minor but recurrent flaw you'll probably find elsewhere from time to time. Updated.



Life Is The Path wrote:
The timing of the Bane novels is ambiguous. I know Path of Destruction takes place over a time span of twenty years or so, so I think Bane of the Sith should take place in 1000BBY (and thus the following novels to take place in the 900s).


Taral-DLOS wrote:
Another few issues I saw:

-The Darth Bane books take place in 1000, 990, and 980 BBY, not 1020, 1010, and 1000. The timeline in the front of most old books is wrong.



Oh I really love [/sarcasm] this set and timing them.

They've 'officially' changed this about 4 or 5 times since first release. JvS (the comic) was originally suppsed to be 1000, then they moved it to 1010 for bane, then 1020, and now back to 1000 (which I hadn't heard of).

I don't like any of those because they're conveniently round numbers, but sure, lets go with the 1000, 990 and 980.



Life Is The Path wrote:
At 34BBY there's an entry called 'Obi'-Wan'. I can't be sure, but I think you mean the game. In that case, I'd put it closer to 32BBY, since it's set just before and during the events of Ep I.


I don't own most games, so I'm not familiar with the plots of them.

I'm going to have to look at this one before I make a comment on how I'll re-place it.



Life Is The Path wrote:
You spelled Rendezvous in Yoda: Dark Rendezvous wrong Wink


he he... my spelling often sucks. Just a heads up.



Life Is The Path wrote:

I'm sorry, I wish I could be of more help.


Oh you're quite helpful.




Taral-DLOS wrote:
-The Old Republic: Blood of the Empire is in 3678 BBY. The comic says "25 years before the Treaty of Coruscant". The only stories that take place in 3653 BBY are Threat of Peace and Deceived. The rest take place well before (Blood of the Empire) or well after (The Lost Suns and Fatal Alliance are about 10 years ATC, but the dates are unconfirmed).


This era's another one I find annoying because the dates are still flexible.

But I've revised based on looking over the materials again. Basically I agree with your assessment.


Also, the Coruscant Nights section needs correcting. Each book, including the one not yet out, is listed as taking place in 18.5 BBY, and the second book is listed as "Chiascuro", an apparent misspelling of Chiaroscuro, the originally planned title for the book. However, the book was released as Street of Shadows instead, and the dates given by Rostoni for the first three books are:

Jedi Twilight: 18.8 BBY
Street of Shadows: 18.46 BBY ( except for the prologue which is in 19 BBY )
Patterns of Force: 18.3 BBY

Thus, wherever the fourth book ends up in the timeline, it will undoubtedly be later than 18.5 BBY.[/quote]

Odd. I would have thought I updated the title for that. I actually wasn't aware we had specific dates for those books though. That said, with few exceptions I usually went with intervals of 0.5 so for not having those I'd say I was pretty close on estimating.

Easy enough to adjust (though I'm going to a) round SoS to 18.5 and b) put LOTJ at 18 even for now)

Arawn_Fenn wrote:

I think Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter should be placed in 32 BBY instead of 32.5 BBY, since by the end of the book Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are already leaving for Naboo and TPM is about to start.


Fair enough. Officially I think they still list it with the .5, but I had issues with that as well, so I have no problems changing that.

Arawn_Fenn wrote:

Placing Jango Fett: Open Seasons at 32 BBY is accurate in terms of the frame story and Dooku's recruitment of Jango, but much of the content takes place earlier, and Galidraan's placement in particular has been the subject of much debate.


The content does mostly take place earlier. And you'll notice for placing most stories that have a story within a story like that that I do place them at the point of their internal content. However, in that case the stories span multiple years and timepoints, so rather than put it down 3 or 4 times I'm just placing it there for expediency. *shrug*


Arawn_Fenn wrote:

Also, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor supposedly takes place in 5.1 ABY, not 5.2 ABY.


I'm going to file that under typo.

Arawn_Fenn wrote:
I'm not sure about the timeline's placement of Cloak of Deception in 33 BBY; Wookieepedia places it "less than a year before TPM" and in "33-32 BBY", while insisting on another page that the Eriadu summit took place in 33 BBY, but the book ends with Sidious suggesting the idea of the Naboo blockade to Gunray.


I'm sticking with 33, as that coulds still be "less than a year" if it was an 8-9 month difference.

Also, organizing the materials for a blockade, getting the federation to buy in, planning and executing would be something that would undoubtedly take months.

32.5 maybe, but I'm comfortable with it as is.







Thank you all for your suggestions and help. Hopefully people will find this of use.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Arawn_Fenn
Knight
Knight

Joined: 07 Apr 2011
Posts: 217
Location: Ekkaia

Darth_Henning wrote:
Arawn_Fenn wrote:


Only Part 1 of the novel takes place two years after KOTOR. Part 2 takes place not long after KOTOR 2.


Thanks. I'm going to leave it where it is therefore, as that was also my understanding.


I tend to think Part 2 of the novel should actually be set in the same year as KOTOR 2, since Part 1 is said to take place 2 years after KOTOR, and ( if I remember correctly ) Part 2 is said to be 3 years after Part 1.
_________________
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Darth_Henning
Master
Master

Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Posts: 526
Location: Canada

Arawn_Fenn wrote:
Darth_Henning wrote:
Arawn_Fenn wrote:


Only Part 1 of the novel takes place two years after KOTOR. Part 2 takes place not long after KOTOR 2.


Thanks. I'm going to leave it where it is therefore, as that was also my understanding.


I tend to think Part 2 of the novel should actually be set in the same year as KOTOR 2, since Part 1 is said to take place 2 years after KOTOR, and ( if I remember correctly ) Part 2 is said to be 3 years after Part 1.


I'm going to leave it for this reasons:

1) The years refered to for the novels rarely include the months in which something occurs, meaning that something that happened in 32BBY (for example) could be anywhere from Febuary to November without any noticable difference (especially if there's only 1 or 2 things in that year) because its unusual for LFL to tell us a 0.5 or 0.38 addendum to the year in the timeline.

Nathan's Timeline Gold is amazing at putting things down to the month, but I have no ability to attempt to match his incredible work.

2) Given the length of the KOTORII game, that appears to take place over the course of at least 5-6 months, which would mean that unless it happened in the first half of the year, its likely to push the second half of Revan to the next year. Not garunteed admittedly, but likely.

Its a tad debatable, but until there is more at that exact time point, you can call it either without there really being any difference in the progression of the story.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Arawn_Fenn
Knight
Knight

Joined: 07 Apr 2011
Posts: 217
Location: Ekkaia

I just looked at the timeline printed in the beginning of Revan, and it seems to place the book in 3954, but I guess that refers to Part 1 specifically.
_________________
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Darth_Henning
Master
Master

Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Posts: 526
Location: Canada

The plan this weekend is to finally update after a year. Including everything new that's been published, and all the old WEG campaigns I own finally being slotted in (which is most of them, and anyone who wants to help place the others I would greatly appreciate it) .

Won't be until Saturday, but thought I'd mention it in case anyone else wants to mention something that's not included that they'd like me to place.


Also 1BBY-2ABY will likely be getting a slight makeover to account for some current descrepencies.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Darth_Henning
Master
Master

Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Posts: 526
Location: Canada

Newest update is now finished.

Anything new that was published or announced since the last version has been added, and anything upcoming that was canceled (just Mandorla I believe) has been removed.

Additionally (and much more challengingly) any works from 1 BBY to 2 ABY have been reorganized by week or month to their times in what I believe is a more-or-less chronologically accurate sequence based on official dates, clues from settings, in-text-references, and a decent amount of guesswork.

I will be posting a full explaination of how the numbers were determined at a later time (when I'm not working 12+ hour days). If you have a disagreement for any reason, please let me know, as I'm sure there are a few mistakes or inferences that can be placed better with your help.


The next update will hopefully be done in a week. It is another ambitious project that will see:
1) the Clone Wars section updated to a compressed timeframe that should be chronologically accurate and possible.
2) the old West End Games campaigns inserted into the timeline (finally)
3) visual reference (ie. pictures of my (nearly) complete bookshelf)



As usual, if you spot anything that doesn't seem right, post it up and the collective fandom can sort out what's wrong (probably me). Comments of a general nature are welcome to.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Darth_Henning
Master
Master

Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Posts: 526
Location: Canada

With the arrival of The Essential Readers Companion, I'm doing a full update on things.

So far there are a few things that I actually have good reason to disagree with, and details of those will be explained when the next update goes up (hopefully in about a week). I have placed all the old 80s RPG adventures that I own based on in-text clues, and they will be included with the new update.

I would like to solicit some help with two things if anyone is willing:

1) placing the few RPGs that I don't own (11 in all) - if you have a large collection of the old 80s adventures and can spare a couple hours to read through the first bit for timing clues, please let me know so those can be fit in.

2) people willing to help read through the Clone Wars material and watch the TV shows - what I'm planning on doing is figuring out how long each book, comic, TV episode, etc. that features Obiwan/Anakin takes, and then using that information to figure out where things fit on the timeline. The guide and LFL's official placements will serve as a very useful guide to things, but claiming that Anakin's entire apprenticeship is compressed into 4 months means he has to be in 3 places at the same time, so a correction is necessary.

If anyone wants to help with either of those parts of the project to speed them up, or has any questions, comments or suggestions on the version of the timeline currently up, please post.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Darth_Henning
Master
Master

Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Posts: 526
Location: Canada

Timeline has finally been updated and is now posted on Dropbox for anyone who wants to view it to download it:

http://db.tt/o1WEqson


Changes to this version (V10):


- Re-ordered Short Stories and some novels according to the Essential Readers Companion
- Added WEG Roleplaying Games to the Timeline based on internal story cues (update on reasons for placements to follow)
- Added remaining unplaced Adventure Journal Short Stories
- Added an Abbreviations key to the end of the document
- Added Before the Republic, Early Republic (apocryphal) and Clone Wars (apocryphal) Eras to the timeline for further delineation with starting/ending dates and events
- Sorted the Clone Wars - novels and short stories according to the ERC, TV shows according to Leland's blog, and comics/etc inserted as implied. (update on reasons for placements to follow)


Points of Disagreement with Official Chronology:

- The placement of Allegiance and Choices of One has been retained at their 2ABY setting rather than moved to 1 ABY as there is greater flexibility of continuity at that point due to lesser story density, and no clues are present in either novel mandating an earlier date.

- The Clone Wars Chronology. See following post.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Taral-DLOS
Master
Master

Joined: 23 Nov 2010
Posts: 1681
Location: Ontario, Canada

It's a cool spreadsheet, but I disagree with a few of the placements. I don't have time right now, but I'll post again later (tonight or tomorrow).

I'm not a huge fan of keeping things to TPBs or Omnibus level. Especially since, for example, numerous comics take place over large periods (i.e. you have Man With A Mission and The Bounty Hunters as spanning multiple eras, but you could just divvy them up).
_________________
"I'm...from Earth."

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Darth_Henning
Master
Master

Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Posts: 526
Location: Canada

Taral-DLOS wrote:
It's a cool spreadsheet, but I disagree with a few of the placements. I don't have time right now, but I'll post again later (tonight or tomorrow).


I look forward to hearing your suggestions when you have time. I'm sure there are some mistakes, and a few ambiguities that could use work.

Taral-DLOS wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of keeping things to TPBs or Omnibus level. Especially since, for example, numerous comics take place over large periods (i.e. you have Man With A Mission and The Bounty Hunters as spanning multiple eras, but you could just divvy them up).


In the Omnibuses (Omnibi?) I've divided them into the individual stories for everything except X-wing (an omission I only just noticed on review this afternoon), so that shouldn't be an issue with those.

As for TPBs, I've kept them together simply because they're the most common way for people to have collected comics, and for new fans the main way they'll obtain the stories. I know there are three timelines online that break things down by specific issue, or even by pages within an issue in one case, but I deliberately structured it this way to keep works as a whole.

That said, I probably will break up the two you mentioned and insert them into the timeline. If there are others you see grouped that you don't think should be, let me know, and I might do the same depending on what they are.

(Specifically, I'm probably not going to fiddle with the old Marvel collections simply because there's no good way to divide those without going down to the issue level, so I'm simply going with the average date for those. Otherwise I'm open to suggestions.)

Its still very much a WIP.


Last edited by Darth_Henning on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Taral-DLOS
Master
Master

Joined: 23 Nov 2010
Posts: 1681
Location: Ontario, Canada

Cool. I hear ya. I used to have a similar spreadsheet (it was a Powerpoint presentation first, till it got so big I couldn't keep it stable). It was based around collecting, and so had one entry per story (title, series, author, month/year released, year in-universe), with columns for where to buy it (e.g. Tales of the Jedi: The Freedon Nadd Uprising #2: Initiates of the Sith was collected as an issue, in its own TPB, in the "TOTJ: Knights of the Old Republic PLUS" TPB, in a 20th Anniversary Hardcover, and in Omnibus: TOTJ Vol 2.)

Oh, and it is Omnibuses. I'm not a big "languages are fluid, and when more people use a non-word, it becomes real eventually" kind of guy. Omnibi is not a word. Case in point: Google Chrome's spell-check tells me omnibi is fake, suggesting instead that I might want the word "insomnia" Smile
_________________
"I'm...from Earth."

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Darth_Henning
Master
Master

Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Posts: 526
Location: Canada

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Cool. I hear ya. I used to have a similar spreadsheet (it was a Powerpoint presentation first, till it got so big I couldn't keep it stable). It was based around collecting, and so had one entry per story (title, series, author, month/year released, year in-universe), with columns for where to buy it (e.g. Tales of the Jedi: The Freedon Nadd Uprising #2: Initiates of the Sith was collected as an issue, in its own TPB, in the "TOTJ: Knights of the Old Republic PLUS" TPB, in a 20th Anniversary Hardcover, and in Omnibus: TOTJ Vol 2.)


Very nice. I'd have loved to see that (or if you still have it...)

My eventual stretch goal for the project is similar actually. I hope to add Author (and artist), Publisher, Publication date, and associated conflict in further columns. Also to categorize the reference books on a separate sheet (though I haven't figured out that part yet).

Admittedly, a lot of comics straddle other works, but that happens with novels and short stories as well. And while I could divide things up in full detail, that will eventually lead to duplicating Nathan's Timeline Gold, which I honestly have no hope of ever duplicating in similar quality.

Hence the focus on full works. That said, I'm trying to divide things up better than they were before (see omnibus comment above), so suggestions on that are welcome.


Taral-DLOS wrote:
Oh, and it is Omnibuses. I'm not a big "languages are fluid, and when more people use a non-word, it becomes real eventually" kind of guy. Omnibi is not a word. Case in point: Google Chrome's spell-check tells me omnibi is fake, suggesting instead that I might want the word "insomnia" Smile


I'm in complete agreement on that. My spell-check had an issue with both, so I actually didn't know, and didn't take time to look it up. I learned something here.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Taral-DLOS
Master
Master

Joined: 23 Nov 2010
Posts: 1681
Location: Ontario, Canada

Darth_Henning wrote:


I'm in complete agreement on that. My spell-check had an issue with both, so I actually didn't know, and didn't take time to look it up. I learned something here.


We agree on this because we speak The Queen's English :D
_________________
"I'm...from Earth."

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Darth_Henning
Master
Master

Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Posts: 526
Location: Canada

Ok, so now a couple explanation posts to describe where things are in the timeline.

First off:

ROLE PLAYING GAME PLACEMENTS

(NOTE: I'm missing - Lords of the Expanse and Tapani Sector Adventures, so if anyone has those and can help place them it would be great to get some help)

Abduction of the Crying Dawn Singer - rebellion is described as new; based on TUF, around 2-1 BBY

Battle for the Golden sun - no timing clues, however due to superweapon base fear regarding Golden Sun, presumably when the alliance was looking for the death star; therefore 1 BBY

Bissillirus Campaign - specified to be after Yavin, but no firm date. Placed by conjecture. (correct me if you know otherwise)

Black Ice - 0 timing clues, however 1 ABY likely due to need for fuel/supplies for the fleet as shown in the Rebellion comics

Black Sands of Socorro - rebellion looking for a base; therefore during search for hoth

Dark Stryder Campaign - placed at 8 ABY by the ERC

Death in the Undercity - Mon Cal cruisers just added to the Rebel fleet - therefore 3ABY

Far Orbit Project - described as 'a few weeks' after yavin

Flashpoint: Brack Sector - must occur shortly after Yavin (weeks) as very few even within the rebels have yet heard of Luke Skywalker. And that name got around quickly.

Game Chambers of Questal - SSD already in operation with the fleet therefore ~3ABY

Goroth: Slave of the Empire - the text specifies that the rebellion is building capitol ships. As it is still the rebellion, and they are building Mon Cals (the only ones they actively built), that suggests an approximate date of 3 ABY

Graveyard of Alderaan - describes yavin as the "most recent"battle - therefore very shortly after

Imperial Double Cross - before episode 4, but Solo/Chewie and Falcon active as smugglers. Probably 1 BBY for noteriety to be appropriate

Jedi's Honor - rebellion is searching for a new base; therefore during the search for hoth

Long Shot - a few months ABY based on text

Mission to Lianna - before the death star, rebellion disrupting Sienar contracts, likely 2 BBY

No Disintegrations
- Gone to Ground - non-rebellion terrorists, therefore 2 BBY or earlier
- Abregado-Rae Intrigue - during THrawn campaign
- Seregar Turnabout - imperial era, placed by conjecture (correct me if you know otherwise)
- Black Sphere - during thrawn campaign
- Elusive - imperial era, placed by conjecture (correct me if you know otherwise)

Operation Elrood - star destroyer destroyed - must be after yavin (as that is the first 'major' victory), placed by conjecture (correct me if you know otherwise)

Otherspace I/II - occurs a length of time after Strikeforce:Shantipole as the Imperial officer has had time to improve himself after his arrest and find a new posting; 3 years appears to be a reasonable assumption as the empire would still be equally powerful as the alliance.

Planet of the mists - described as relatively shortly after the first death star destroyed

Politics of Contraband - concurrent with Starfighters of Adumar

Riders of the Maelstrom - MC80 pictured, therefore after Mon Cals added to the fleet around 3 ABY

Scavenger Hunt - before SSDs constructed, must be between 1BBY to 1 ABY, placed by conjecture (correct me if you know otherwise)

Scoundrel's luck - luke, leia, han and vader involved on ord Mantell - should actually be placed earlier than in this version. Mistake rectified but online version not updated. Moved to 2 ABY

Starfall - some time before crisis on Cloud City (introduction of those characters)

Strikeforce: shantipole - during development of the B-wing; therefore ~3ABY

Supernova - during rebellion, but no time cues, placed by conjecture (correct me if you know otherwise)

Tatooine Manhunt - described as shortly after ANH's events, so within weeks

Twin Stars of Kira - after the fall of the empire, but empire still significantly present, so 4-6 ABY placed by conjecture (correct me if you know otherwise)


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 3
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Display posts from previous:

  

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights 2 by Scott Stubblefield