Education
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
My girlfriend works at a school in California that is supposed to be more 'modern'. She's ready to go postal service on the place. The vice principal was wandering around telling teachers that they weren't there to teach the students responsibility, just to teach subjects. They won't allow her to stick to a due date and she has to accept work whenever its turned in, and the students gossip with the teachers and the teachers gossip and start rumors as well...with STUDENTS. Its so horrible, I just can't stand it.

That's terrible. Sad

My school isn't like that, thank God, but I remember in my Grade 11 Biology class and we were learning about reproduction (always a joy). When students started making dumb jokes about my teacher not only didn't tell them to grow up, she joined in!

I'm glad I didn't grow up in this madhouse. I seriously think I'd be messed up if I had.

Sometimes social experiments lead to better things, sometime you just get a bunch of rude spoiled brats who aren't gonna be ready for the real world.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Social experiments shouldn't be tested on kids.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Since this was brought up another thread, what do you think the government and/or schools should to do to bring down the cost of tuition?

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Since this was brought up another thread, what do you think the government and/or schools should to do to bring down the cost of tuition?

Step 1: Cut a hole in a box.

Step 2: Put a moratorium on rising tuition.

It is possible, and I remember the Ontario government promised to do it when they were elected in 2006, and then raised tuition almost right away.

Step 3: Ensure that the school is spending its money effectively.

My university had billboard ads everywhere, many of which didn't even mention the school's name. Just "It Starts Here." They were even in the middle of nowhere (like halfway through a 100-mile highway that connected two random small towns in Quebec).

Step 4: As a theoretical alternative (and I don't mean to offend those that this idea does not cover), perhaps giving tax breaks to those who a) complete their degrees, and/or b) those whose jobs/careers are in the field they were educated in, thus acknowledging that the person has become a more valuable member of society for their education.

Step 5: Corporate sponsorships, or advertisements within the school.

I wouldn't be offended if the school got money for putting ads on some of the walls. The school gets more money, so needs less of mine. I remember the city I went to school in was going to try and do that with bus stations, naming the main transit stops after the companies they're close to.

Step 6: A slight raise in taxes (or keeping taxes the same, with less spending elsewhere, depending on your political leaning, I guess) and give extra government funds directly to the school, which would, again, decrease the amount each student would need to give.

Anyways, just a few thoughts I had.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My grandma worked in the school system as a teacher's assistant at elementary school level for 30 years, and my mom has been subbing at middle school level for the past 16-17 years. They've seem a lot of changes and both agree the school system is getting worse.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Another education gripe.

Last year in my Law class, we held a debates on various controversial topics. I was assigned the opinion to be for the death penalty. Now, luckily, I'm fuzzy on this issue, so I could've argued either side with conviction. The problem was I was assigned an opinion. Ugh. Take a minute and think what this kind of thing teaches kids. What was my goal in the debate? To find truth? Heck, no! I had to prove that I was right, even if I was wrong. I hope this doesn't sound pedantic, but this is terrible teaching. The object of debate should always be to find truth. What will this teach other than to make the students always want to be right? And if they're wrong, it's a welcoming into ignorance. This is anti-education.

To top it off, I did win the debate, but I won it with faulty logic. And I knew it was faulty logic. But, hey, I won the debate, and I got a good mark. That's what education's about. *headdesk*

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I feel the same way, Reep, but I do think there are some good things to come out of this set up, too. One positive thing I can think of to come out of that is to help hone people's debate skills, and that they assign people to an mindset is to give the debaters access to an opinion that they wouldn't otherwise have, or even consider. It also, perhaps, helps people to develop the skill of being able to see several paths and mindsets so that they're able to become a better mediating force, and identify the best possible solution for a problem.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote  

Dancelittleewok wrote:

1) Take a close look at the administration and eliminate jobs that replicate each other, unnecessary tiers in the hierarchy, and excess assistant administrators.

2) Take into account the specialties of nearby colleges. For example, if a neighboring college has one of the best music schools in the country then eliminate/downsize your music school if it is average and not capable of competing with your neighbor. Your just spending a bunch of cash to get the average/below average students, the serious students are going to the neighboring college.

3) Put a cap on administrative salaries/perks for non-profit institutions. If it is a non-profit then the president shouldn't have a salary/perks that compete with the salary/perks of a CEO of a small/medium for-profit company. Eliminating/capping administrative salaries that exceed $500,000 would save a ton of cash that could either be used to lower tuition, fund hiring extra profs, fund projects that improve campus facilities, or projects that build/improve departments/programs. This is actually something that all institutions would benefit from regardless of tax status by reorienting their goals to being much more student oriented.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
One positive thing I can think of to come out of that is to help hone people's debate skills, and that they assign people to an mindset is to give the debaters access to an opinion that they wouldn't otherwise have, or even consider.

Maybe on the specific issue you were debating, but ultimately it teaches you to be close-minded.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:
One positive thing I can think of to come out of that is to help hone people's debate skills, and that they assign people to an mindset is to give the debaters access to an opinion that they wouldn't otherwise have, or even consider.

Maybe on the specific issue you were debating, but ultimately it teaches you to be close-minded.

Well I'm going out on a limb here but since it was a law class I think it was to teach you to win an argument for a client whether you agree with it or not. Lawyers sometimes have to defend guilty parties, and they have to prove their innocence. So that was probably the point of the exercise.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I'm doing three subjects; Music Tech, Music and Maths. I'm only doing maths because I needed to fill a slot, so now I'm stuck with it. I want to work in music or radio, so music and music tech are perfect, but I can't really concenttrate on doing what I want/need to do because I'm doing maths.

I guess I felt that at this point I'd be concentrating on getting out into the world, but I was wrong, I'm still fighting for a letter next to my name. It's demotivating.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:

Well I'm going out on a limb here but since it was a law class I think it was to teach you to win an argument for a client whether you agree with it or not. Lawyers sometimes have to defend guilty parties, and they have to prove their innocence. So that was probably the point of the exercise.

I guess, but a lawyer defending a guilty person is just as idiotic as the debate. Call me an idealist.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This reminds me of when I was in Grade 10 Civics class.

As part of a multi-week project, we divided in groups and made up hilarious Parties, pitched our parties to another class, and had them vote for us to elect a House of Commons. My party (the Star Trek Party; our slogan: Vote For Us, Resistance is Futile) won by a landslide and we got a majority government. Then we were assigned a topic: the death penalty: should Canada bring it back?

We were terrible at debating. In theory, we lost very badly.

In practice however, the law passed. Because we were a majority government.

How's THAT for a life lesson? Smile

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Star Trek Party. Laughing

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I guess, but a lawyer defending a guilty person is just as idiotic as the debate. Call me an idealist.

Everyone has the right to a defense and everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 2 of 4