Skyrim
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's not a bug; sometimes the game will be very random about what the stores have for whatever reason. My two most wanted magic items are fortify alchemy and fortify smithing so that I can craft maxed out armor, but on one of my character's games I've spent hours just refreshing and travelling between shops and haven't found them. But on a different character I go to the shop and the first time I go it's there.

Unfortunately, there is no Nighteye enchantment.. the only enchanting effects in the game are to fortify your skills, fortify the three attributes (health, stamina, magicka) and their regen rates, to increase resistance to fire, frost, shock, poison, disease, and magic, to fortify the magic schools and magicka regen, increase carry weight, muffle, waterbreathing, and to fortify unarmed (Gloves of Pugilist in the Ratway).

"To think I would sit down at the same table with that... Thalmor *****."

I enjoyed killing Ulfric with my Imperial aligned character but I have to admit that despite being a fantasy Nazi, the guy has some charisma and gravitas. I kept telling my friend that he was a Nazi and my friend thought I was simplifying it and labeling him until he reached that line.

In Sovngarde you can run into him, and I decided to kill him (again) just because he's a jerk, but in Sovngarde he has NPC immortality, so I attacked him and him and his pet kept attacking me so I led them over the chasm in front of Shor's Hall of Valor, and then I used Unrelenting Force to blow him into it to his final death (presumably).

I haven't read any new TES lore theories on account of TOR. Did that guy with the butterfly jar theory write anything new? I've always thought that the Dovahkiin was going to reconsitute the Empire as the new dragonborn emperor, but now that I know about my boy Reman and the earlier empires, I suppose it's still possible he would, but the Septim empire was the third empire after Alessia's and Reman's, so the Dovahkiin might make a fourth. And it's possible that the Dovahkiin would side with the Stormcloaks and the Stormcloaks would further conquer Cyrodiil and High Rock and Hammerfell and basically do what the Empire cannot.

My friend and I don't understand why the Empire didn't just let Skyrim secede with a wink and a nod prior to signing the White-Gold Concordat, then sign it. The Thalmor would then have to violate their treaty if they would try to put any leverage on the Empire to enforce it on Skyrim, and the Empire could and should just deny them travel through their land to invade Skyrim. I mean, as far as I know the treaty only requires them to allow their inquisitors in their land to root out Talos worship, but doesn't say they have to allow them to let their army travel through (which in reality is a pretty big deal in terms of logistics and even allied armies with that level of technology would be pretty draining on the land).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote  

man that stinks about nighteye, at least dungeons are mostly brighter than they were in Oblivion. Sounds like I can kiss my always on detect life enchanted gear too (which was so cheap but fun to use in Oblivion).

I've been contemplating going after Dawnbreaker. Trouble is the last time I tried my path through the mountains ended badly thanks to frost trolls. Perhaps I'll try the long way around (seeing as there are no Mines of Moria to go under the mountain from Whiterun).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

There are carts outside certain (or all) the towns. I know Whiterun, Windhelm, Solitude, Markarth, and Riften have them. You can pay the cart either 20 or 50 gold and it will take you to any town. Just pay the cart 20 gold to take you to Solitude and you're a short walk from the Shrine of Meridia.

It feels like they really dumbed down magic in Skyrim. I don't know if that's to gently prod you into playing a Nord or focusing on the "preferred" playing style or if it's just a continuation of the trend of simplifying their games, but it's pretty dumb.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote  

Crash Override wrote:
There are carts outside certain (or all) the towns. I know Whiterun, Windhelm, Solitude, Markarth, and Riften have them. You can pay the cart either 20 or 50 gold and it will take you to any town. Just pay the cart 20 gold to take you to Solitude and you're a short walk from the Shrine of Meridia.

If all else fails I'll do that. I'm one of those guys who typically likes to walk everywhere in the hopes of stumbling into a new side quest or just exploring for the fun of it. Hence why my first attempt was to walk there. I've also favored walking lately since I've found some areas are way beyond my character's level so I figure the baddies I encounter on the way will indicate whether I'm attempting something I'm not ready for.

I did attempt doing that to get to Solitude to complete this quest of rescuing a Grey-mane family member. I didn't even make it to the dungeon before running into 2 spriggins that forced me to retreat (what I learned: it is a very very bad idea to take spriggins on at level 10 or lower).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think the way it's set up isn't so much that certain regions of map are uniformly high level, just specific areas (like map markers, i.e. dungeons, and the areas outside the dungeon directly). Like you want to stay away from groves because that's where spriggans are found. I think that the daedric quests are pretty well balanced insofar as that if you can access it immediately then you should be able to do it. IIRC, the first time I did Meridia's quest, it was quasi-difficult, but I did it later with a high level character and it was cake. Most daedric quests don't become available until high level. Mehrunes Dagon and Mephala are only available starting at level 20, and Boethiah's quest is only available at level 30.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Hey check this out > IGN Cool Skyrim mods and glitches

Now, I'm not aligning myself with anyone yet, I'm just trying to explore a bit. So I'm a bit rogue at the moment, but trying to be a good guy. I was going to join the Stormcloaks, I thought they were trying to overthrow an oppresive government, but they're just the Skyrim version of the EDL.

Also I try not to kill animals Embarassed I kill wolves and sabrecats and stuff; things that attack me, but not dogs and goats and stuff.

Now I'm trying to save up for a house in Whiterun. Can anyone tell me the best place to buy a house?

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

My favorite house is the one in Solitude but that costs 25000 gold. The one in markarth isnt bad either but its also expensive though not as much as Solitude. The whiterun one is good because it's cheap so you can buy it fairly quickly and then store all of your stuff in their!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The one in Solitude is three stories, has two mannequins for displaying or storing armor, a ton of weapon racks and display plaques, an enchanter's table, and alchemist's table, a safe, a chest, and three or four bookshelves.

The Markarth house has a ton of bookshelf space if you like collecting the lore, the alchemy and enchanting tables, but only one mannequin. It's also worth noting -- unless it's been patched lately -- that the house in Solitude is really glitchy. The Housecarl for Solitude is also a blonde Lydia, more or less.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote  

Supposedly the Windhelm house is the best, but I haven't bought it yet.

As far as killing animals go, I leave dogs, horses, and cows alone, but goats are fair game. I've also had a lot of fun lately hand fishing.

I've never ridden in a cart yet. I like to travel on foot to new locations. I bought a horse one time and as soon as I got off, a spider killed it. Just didn't seem to be worth the money.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've never gotten the Windhelm house because the game is waaay too buggy and I've never played Stormcloak. And AFAIK, I'm unable to buy it, even after helping the Empire conquer Skyrim. The Thane of Riften quest is also glitched out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Okay, who are the Thalmor?

Somehow I've wound up in their embassy trying to sabotage them. I just want to know whether I want to.

And I don't know how to make a distraction so I can sneak out.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote  

The Thalmer are some high elves. Not too many people like them. Some of the lore tends to point to the idea that they think they should have dominion over all humans.

I got into trouble on that mission and basically just started slaughtering the Thalmer. There weren't any consequences. Feel free to just fight your way out. Cool

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Well, one of the guests at the party is the Jarl of Morthal; and I'm doing a quest there. Does anyone know it? The one where you investigate the house fire? You have to play hide and seek with a ghost, but she only comes out at night.

I might do some pickpocketing and place some poisons. Does that work without that perk?

Edit; is there any way I can buy a room in an inn or something (not rent, buy) while I'm waiting for a house? Somewhere to store my stuff.

Also, looking at my stats, I've slept 2 hours in 12 days, will this have any effect?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Thalmor is almost like a political party that used the Oblivion Crisis to gain popularity and prominence in the Summerset Isles (taking credit when Martin Septim sealed Tamriel from Oblivion), and had the king and queen there assassinated to gain control. Then they annexed Valenwood and recreated the Aldmeri Dominion. The Empire was also weakened by Black Marsh seceding and invading Morrowind, which was devastated by the eruption of Red Mountain (which the Thalmor may have been involved in, but also could have been the result of the events of TES3: Morrowind).

The Thalmor also had the Potentate, Ocato, who was ruling the Empire after Uriel Septim VII's death, assassinated. He was in Oblivion. That led to further weakening of the empire where it basically collapsed until Titus Mede I, a Colovian warlord, took control and sort of assumed control of the shell of it.

Then the Thalmor declared war on the Empire, with Titus Mede II ultimately suing for peace because the Imperial legions were depleted. The Thalmor imposed the White-Gold Concordat, which required the Empire give up Hammerfell to the Dominion, as well as Elsweyr, and forbid Talos worship within the Empire and gave the Thalmor the right to send inquisitors across the Empire to root it out.

Hammerfell seceded from the Empire and continued to fight the Thalmor, ultimately fighting them to a standstill and signing a separate (presumably more favorable) peace treaty. Skyrim should have done the same, but apparently did not, which is why Ulfric now is fighting for Skyrim's independence, which I suppose makes some degree of sense. But as you'll find out on the Thalmor Embassy quest, Ulfric has some issues. Plus he's a racist.

The lore book in game for information about the Thalmor is called "Rising Threat" and there's multiple volumes.

There's nowhere to buy a room, you should get Breezehome in Whiterun. If you're desperately in need of space, I recommend just spending a while chopping wood in Riverwood or something to get the necessary gold to buy it.

And sleep is only necessary if you wanted to get the Rested, Well Rested, or Lover's Comfort effects to enhance the rate of skill increase.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Well, I'm being a bit annoying and putting my views into the game, so I'm not siding with the Stormcloaks because of their whole racist/segregation thing but I'm not super cool about an "Empire".

What are the Thalmor's political views? Are they pretty much the same as the Stormcloaks? I thought they were until I got to the party and it was being hosted by an elf.

(sorry for being so annoying Wink )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 2 of 21