Red Tails
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Tails
 PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

George Lucas gave an interview about Red Tails this week that completely changed my mind on wanting to see the movie. Before, I had no interest. Now, I am probably going opening day. For those who can't view the interview because of regional blockage, I'm going to transcribe the interesting quotes about the film here.

Stewart: How long have you been working on this?
GL: 23 years. 23 years, we finished it, I financed it myself, I figured I could get the prints and ads paid for by the studios and that they would release it. I showed it to all of them and they said no. We don't know how to market a movie like this.
Stewart: Why?
GL: It's not green enough.
Stewart: Really?
GL: They only release green movies.
Stewart: I didn't realize that. So because the message is patriotic and jingoistic and doesn't have any recycling in it...
*laughter*
GL: No. It's because it's an all-black movie. There's no major white roles in it at all. It's one of the first all-black action pictures ever made.

Stewart: In this day and age though... is it because of the pedigree of it, they didn't want to take a chance on it?
GL: Yeah. They just... it's a reasonably expensive movie. Normally black movies... they're very low budget... And they do well, but they do a certain amount of money and they know what that is, and this costs more than those movies make, so they figure, "well...". And they don't believe there's any foreign market for it, so that's 60% of their problem.

GL: It was presented as, which the reason I did it completely, I wanted to make an inspirational for teenage boys. I wanted to show that they have heroes, that they're real American heroes, they're patriots, they helped make the country what it is today. And it's not gory (or gory? Can't tell what he said) where you have a lot of white officers running these guys into cannon-fodder....they were real heroes.

GL: The problem was, it's exactly like Star Wars... I wrote the first script, tried to get it to work, it was way too big. The story is too fantastic and wonderful to cram into two hours.
Stewart: Are you telling me there's gonna be six of these bad boys?
GL - I am hoping, if this works, if we get a good first weekend, there is a prequel and a sequel, and they're better than this movie by a long shot.
*laughter and applause*
GL: I took the soft center, and I said I'll give you the really good ones if we can get this one to get made.

GL: This is not a movie about victims. This is a movie about heroes.

GL: I'm just talking about a bunch of guys, kids, you know they're 19, 20 years old, flying the fastest prop plane ever built, and going up against the newfangled jets. And it's a combat movie. To be honest with you, because you know I'm normally not - this is the closest you'll get to Episode 7.
*laughter, cheering, applause*

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

OMB, I watched that interview and had the very same reaction. I was kind of eh about the movie and now I definitely want to see it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

What's this movie about (apart from heroes)? Can someone give me a brief overview please?

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's about the Tuskegee Airmen of World War II

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

OK thanks. I've heard people link it to Star Wars, so I guess they're talking about X-wings and the whole underdog-saving the world/Galaxy thing?

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote  

I assumed the reason it was compared to Star Wars is because the dogfights of WWII inspired much of the OT dogfights (as I recall the scene in ANH where Luke and Han are manning the Falcon's turrets was inspired by the numerous WWII movie scenes of gunners on bombers fighting off attacking fighters).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Ha! Lucas has got some ba-, ahem, nerve to say that! I quite admire him for it. I suppose he's right, in a way, to say that there isn't much overseas market for such a film. But those snippets have me quite a bit more excited about it, now; enough to want to see it. I'll just have to convince some others to come along with me (assuming it'll be shown locally). Thanks a lot for providing this, OMB Smile
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Salaris Vorn wrote:
I assumed the reason it was compared to Star Wars is because the dogfights of WWII inspired much of the OT dogfights (as I recall the scene in ANH where Luke and Han are manning the Falcon's turrets was inspired by the numerous WWII movie scenes of gunners on bombers fighting off attacking fighters).

That reminds me of an old xbox game I used to play, called 'Secret Weapons Over Normandy'. It was a LucasArts game, and, I'm sure you've guessed, is a combat flight game set in WWII. It had a skirmish game, where you could pit all the air-plane types (that you unlock while playing the single player) in a massive dogfight. It was possible to unlock the X-Wing and TIE fighter types to use in this dogfight. I had a lot of fun playing as those Laughing
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:40 am Reply with quote  

Cool, this will be out next Friday. I'll have to go see it. Hope there are some awesome dogfight scenes. I'd love to see those planes taking on the German jet fighters.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Salaris Vorn wrote:

They showed a clip on The Daily Show and when I was watching it I honest to God was thinking, "That looks a scene from Star Wars."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote  

Life Is The Path wrote:
Salaris Vorn wrote:

That reminds me of an old xbox game I used to play, called 'Secret Weapons Over Normandy'. It was a LucasArts game, and, I'm sure you've guessed, is a combat flight game set in WWII. It had a skirmish game, where you could pit all the air-plane types (that you unlock while playing the single player) in a massive dogfight. It was possible to unlock the X-Wing and TIE fighter types to use in this dogfight. I had a lot of fun playing as those Laughing

I loved that game! I wasn't super fond of the X-Wing and TIE though (to be fair I found the jet engine noises of all the planes in that game somewhat irritating). My favorite craft was the Mosquito upgraded with better engines and maneuvering (no armor upgrade). You could get it to speeds rivaling an unmodded ME 262 and have fighter like agility. It also had some of the best machine guns in game.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCRIsjJFRNo

Prepare to have your mind blown.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:28 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Crash Override wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCRIsjJFRNo

Prepare to have your mind blown.

That was awesome. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I have wanted to see this from the second I saw this trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpA6TC0T_Lw

P-51 vs. ME-262! Sweet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm hoping to see this tomorrow afternoon. My wife is working the evening shift, and doesn't want to see it, so I'll go by myself while she works!

You know the best part of seeing a movie by yourself? EVERYTHING. My drink, my popcorn, my time to myself when in line or waiting for it to start. The only bad part is if I need to pee, then there's no one to answer my "what did I miss?" question.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 2