Dawn of the Jedi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Cerrinea wrote:
It looks out of place because her tatas aren't falling out of her top. Finally, an anatomically correct female in a comic book. Very Happy

Wow, you're right! I can't say that ever angered me against Star Wars, but it was most annoying at times. Confused

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Issue 0 will be out on the 1st of Feb, while issue 1 will be out on the 15th. My understanding leads me to believe that 0 issues are more a case of (something akin to) primers, and not part of the actual story. Do you think that issue could be missed, then?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

They basically set up the scenario and give you background information so that they don't have to break up the narrative with a ton of exposition.

Usually they're really cheap though. The Legacy #0 was twenty-five cents in the US.

I'm really interested in this series now after playing through Tython on TOR, which admittedly didn't really tell me much that I didn't already know from other sources.

But I've always had an interest in the pre-Republic history, and the Celestials subplot was one of the aspects of Fate of the Jedi that I was really into, so I suspect that this is going to be awesome with its depiction of Rakata and the Sith species and other crazy pre-Jedi stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

We know now from Dark Horse that they're called Je'daii which I find interesting. I wonder if we know where the name derives from.

I'm also really looking forward to this series. I want to find out about Tython because there just isn't that much info out there on it. From the Dark Horse solicitations for April it almost sounds like an outside influence brings on the Force Wars.

Quote:
The balance of the Force on Tython has been thrown into turmoil. A ship has fallen from the sky, bringing with it a strange, dark, and hostile individual. Three young Jédaii who felt “called” to the site of the crash now fight for their lives with their swords and the Force. But live or die, the storm that will engulf the homeworld of the Je’daii has already begun!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Who are called the Jed'daii? The Celestials, or the protagonists of the story?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, the Jedi were first called Je'daii but previously it seemed to be later in the timeline and after they left Tython.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Apparently they have a rank called Padawan as well.

I find it interesting that one of the protagonists is of the Sith pureblood species. I'm interested in the Tho Yor.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
They basically set up the scenario and give you background information so that they don't have to break up the narrative with a ton of exposition.

Usually they're really cheap though. The Legacy #0 was twenty-five cents in the US.

I'm really interested in this series now after playing through Tython on TOR, which admittedly didn't really tell me much that I didn't already know from other sources.

But I've always had an interest in the pre-Republic history, and the Celestials subplot was one of the aspects of Fate of the Jedi that I was really into, so I suspect that this is going to be awesome with its depiction of Rakata and the Sith species and other crazy pre-Jedi stuff.

Interesting. And frustrating at the same time. I just caved and ordered both this and the first comic, but it was nowhere near 25 cents (or the converted price of roughly 15p). Because there are no comic book shops, that I know of, in my county, I have to order through eBay, which puts the cost far higher than it would be in the shop. This 0 issue, for example, was £3.50 ish.

I'm looking forward to this. I can't wait to hear about the pre-Republic times, and the starting of the Jedi. The main thing that worries me, though, is the art style. I liked the art style of the TOTJ in premise, but I didn't like how it was on the page. Of course, that was due in small part to the artists working on it, but taking them out of the equation, I didn't like the look of it all.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
We know now from Dark Horse that they're called Je'daii which I find interesting. I wonder if we know where the name derives from.

I'm also really looking forward to this series. I want to find out about Tython because there just isn't that much info out there on it. From the Dark Horse solicitations for April it almost sounds like an outside influence brings on the Force Wars.

Quote:
The balance of the Force on Tython has been thrown into turmoil. A ship has fallen from the sky, bringing with it a strange, dark, and hostile individual. Three young Jédaii who felt “called” to the site of the crash now fight for their lives with their swords and the Force. But live or die, the storm that will engulf the homeworld of the Je’daii has already begun!

For a second, that made me think the hostile individual was going to be a Yuuzhan Vong. Unlikely, I feel, but still fun to imagine. Do you think it likely that it will be one of that species? Maybe a Force-sensitive Vong?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
For a second, that made me think the hostile individual was going to be a Yuuzhan Vong. Unlikely, I feel, but still fun to imagine. Do you think it likely that it will be one of that species? Maybe a Force-sensitive Vong?

I think it's likely a Rakata that crashed given that they're active at this point in the timeline. But it's interesting you should correlate it with the Yuuzhan Vong, because yesterday I had just pondered a potential correlation between the Yuuzhan Vong and the Rakata in that both species were stripped of the Force, albeit through different means -- or so we are told. Both were species that were destructive and enslaved other species and both ultimately lost their connection to the Force: the Rakata through a mutation of a plague and the Yuuzhan Vong which were stripped of it by Yuuzhan'tar -- but the actual mechanism by which it did so is unknown and the shaping and genetic engineering of the Yuuzhan Vong indicates that it could likewise have been an engineered plague.

Part of the reason why this caught my eye recently is because in Plagueis there's an off-hand comment that Tenebrous and his master had attempted to create a disease of some sort that would strip the Jedi Order of the Force, but were unable to create something that would not also affect them. Targeting a single species, on the other hand, seems like something that would be much more easily done.

But I find it more interesting not necessarily from a directly causative perspective but the perspective that their respective civilizations were guilty of very similar crimes and ultimately were punished in similar ways -- the genetic engineering and biological technology didn't cause this to hinder the Yuuzhan Vong whereas the reliance upon mechanical technology powered by the dark side resulted in the Rakata civilization collapsing completely.

As for the art style, the artist is Jan Duursema, so it's going to look like Star Wars Legacy and the Quinlan Vos stories from Star Wars Republic.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote  

I checked Dark Horse's website, Dawn of the Jedi #0 is going to be $3.50 and a full 32 pages long, so this is going to be like a full issue, but instead of being a part of an arc, it will be an intro to the series. I would say this isn't an issue you would want to skip.

And isn't the antagonist the Force hound guy with the weapon that looks like a lightsaber? I doubt he's a Rakatan, his head isn't the right shape.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

*Whistles* I can't believe they've become so expensive. In my day they only used to be about £1!

I don't know, it's just that comment about the hostile individual made me think it's going to be some out-there species. There was nothing, really, to indicate this, but I still somehow got that impression. And then I thought of the Vong and their deep-seeded loathing of Jedi, and thought that this could become the beginning of that cultural fear. I know that may not make much sense, canonically, but I still thought it might be cool. It's really put my mind in gear, that quote. I was excited for this series to begin with, but that one bit has me far more intrigued than anything else.

Quote:
As for the art style, the artist is Jan Duursema, so it's going to look like Star Wars Legacy and the Quinlan Vos stories from Star Wars Republic.

Yes, and I liked the art style of Legacy, but I'm still worried. I found the clothing of TOTJ to be gaudy, tacky, and I'd rather that phase be swept under the rug. Luckily, the covers make me think that it won't be reminiscent of that, at all. But there's still that worry, lingering on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote  

Dark Horse posted some sketches from Dawn of the Jedi.

Link: http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/797/star-wars-friday-dawn-jedi-sketches

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote  

Newsarama posted a preview from Dawn of the Jedi #1 (three new pages)

Link: http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=45388&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social%2Bmedia&utm_campaign=seo%2Bblitz&utm_content=Newsarama

Pretty cool to finally get a glimpse of what the interior art is going to look like.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

In general I like the art.

That said, I'm definitely NOT happy about the derivation of the Imperial/Sith symbol appearing here again. There's a certain point where they have to start being a little inventive with these things. I mean yes, you want to convey that these are the 'bad guys', but you don't have to dress them up in Vader-esque armor with the same symbol, 30,000 years earlier.

I mean, really?

The plot sounds well thought out and like it will be a good one though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 3 of 9