Apple's Dictatorship

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apple's Dictatorship
 PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Let me begin by clarifying that this is not a slam on Apple. Though I may have strong negative feelings toward the company, I do not wish to be immature or closeminded in attacking them here.

However, I do wish to discuss their company policies/tendencies and see what all of you think.

Why is it Apple feels the need to control everything so closely? I realize the average populace is not bothered by this (hence their ridiculous fan following), but it aggravates me to a great extent.

I understand that Apple has every right to do with their products as they please, but why do they feel the need to control every aspect of their devices? For instance, the iPad does not allow me to download Adobe Flash supposedly because "Programs requiring Adobe Flash use too much battery". Well I'm sorry, that's not their problem. I should be able to download it if I want to. I'll plug it in if I have to, but I want Adobe Flash.

This is just one example, but Apple is super controlling with all of their products. Microsoft is fairly controlling, as well, but not nearly as bad. And Google is completely open, which makes me more and more interested in what they have to offer. I saw a comment recently that stated, "Google just wants to interest me in their Android products. Fat chance!" Why? Apple is literally a dictatorship. You can only use what they say you can use, and that is rather limited where software is concerned. Google lets you use whatever you want! Their products may not work as smooth as Apple's (although I disagree on this point), but they have no restrictions!

I guess I just can't understand why so many people are mindlessly following Apple like it's a god. I love Microsoft and Google because I'm a programmer. They cater to my needs as a developer, where Apple does no such thing. However, I'm not so blinded by this to be unwilling to admit that Microsoft and Google both have failings, and Apple does make some nice products. Apple fanboys will do no such thing, though! They swear by Apple and scoff at all else.

I don't get it. Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Mara: Believe me, I know. Its really sad. Did you know that Steve Jobs death got more attention than any soldier we had die in our current war? I would be happy to go without an iPad or iPod or anything like that just to know that this current obsession didn't happen. Its horrible and I can't stand people that buy status with a product that is no better than anything PC or Google makes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I read once that, whereas in the past, everyone has strong loyalty towards their brand of choice, only two brands in modern times enjoy ferocious loyalty: Apple and Harley Davidson.

Personally, I love my few apple products (iTunes on the PC, and an iPod nano). I've had problems, but the Apple Store is usually pretty good about it.

@Caedus: I wouldn't put too much into the amount of media coverage that Jobs's death got. Anna Nicole Smith's death got far more (Jon Stewart calculated the amount of coverage; the death of ANS was the biggest story of that year, and only slightly less important than 9/11, based on how much time CNN devoted to it). The media just latches on to things. Make no mistake, Gates's death will have as much coverage.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
@Caedus: I wouldn't put too much into the amount of media coverage that Jobs's death got. Anna Nicole Smith's death got far more (Jon Stewart calculated the amount of coverage; the death of ANS was the biggest story of that year, and only slightly less important than 9/11, based on how much time CNN devoted to it). The media just latches on to things. Make no mistake, Gates's death will have as much coverage.

That and the fact that the Bush administration put a ban on covering soldiers' deaths. It was lifted somewhat by Obama, but yeah let's not show our soldiers dying because that might get upset the folks who vote.

IMO, Jobs deserved the coverage. And I have never in my life bought an Apple product.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I agree that it is rather stupid that Apple products like the iPad don't run flash. However.....what I've grown weary of is the Apple vs PC war. Not the actual products themselves, but among people who buy them. Confused

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote  

I've personally never understood why people say Apple is easier to use. Whenever I've tried to use an Apple I've found basic functions to be maddeningly hard to find whereas PCs don't normally tuck things away (I might take issue with Windows 7 not putting everything in the exact same spot as XP but I'm probably being picky about not wanting to adapt my ways more than anything else).

The thing I dislike most about Apple is how they seem to cater their products lately to the people who need the latest cool toy and therefore focus on adding new features. I believe Dave Barry summed it up nicely in a quote (my paraphrase): "People were excited today about the release of the new iPhone and upon getting theirs at the store immediately lined up outside to await the release of the next iPhone"

Re: Apple's Dictatorship
 PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Let me begin by clarifying that this is not a slam on Apple. Though I may have strong negative feelings toward the company, I do not wish to be immature or closeminded in attacking them here.

However, I do wish to discuss their company policies/tendencies and see what all of you think.

Why is it Apple feels the need to control everything so closely? I realize the average populace is not bothered by this (hence their ridiculous fan following), but it aggravates me to a great extent.

I understand that Apple has every right to do with their products as they please, but why do they feel the need to control every aspect of their devices? For instance, the iPad does not allow me to download Adobe Flash supposedly because "Programs requiring Adobe Flash use too much battery". Well I'm sorry, that's not their problem. I should be able to download it if I want to. I'll plug it in if I have to, but I want Adobe Flash.

This is just one example, but Apple is super controlling with all of their products. Microsoft is fairly controlling, as well, but not nearly as bad. And Google is completely open, which makes me more and more interested in what they have to offer. I saw a comment recently that stated, "Google just wants to interest me in their Android products. Fat chance!" Why? Apple is literally a dictatorship. You can only use what they say you can use, and that is rather limited where software is concerned. Google lets you use whatever you want! Their products may not work as smooth as Apple's (although I disagree on this point), but they have no restrictions!

I guess I just can't understand why so many people are mindlessly following Apple like it's a god. I love Microsoft and Google because I'm a programmer. They cater to my needs as a developer, where Apple does no such thing. However, I'm not so blinded by this to be unwilling to admit that Microsoft and Google both have failings, and Apple does make some nice products. Apple fanboys will do no such thing, though! They swear by Apple and scoff at all else.

I don't get it. Sad

Read the Steve Jobs biography, it really sheds light on it. Jobs wanted tight control because he wanted his customers to have a very specific relationship with the product and company. As for Flash, well, Adobe turned their back on Apple and Jobs was so furious that he swore he'd never have Flash run on his products.

It's a great book, and it doesn't glorify the company or the man at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

*starts singing "Why Can't We Be Friends"*

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think all have there merits but for different reasons:

Apple - Design and some music organization (SOME)

Linux - programming and base function initiation

PC - Programming and customization as well as balance

As to Steve Jobs, he made some huge advances but he and Gates are both jerks in my eyes. Steve Jobs can be as mad at Adobe as he wants but it is small of the man and limiting of the technology (not that much these days, but still). Overall I prefer PC because I like comparability and price ranges a lot better than anything Apple. Its just more my style and preference and I honestly wish it was more about that for people than status and such. My friend bought a Macbook pro and honest to got believe that makes her superior to PC users in some way. Its fairly representative of that culture and it bothers me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:54 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I love Macs. If you love PC's, go for it, I'm not going to tell you off. No offense, but because everyone thinks Apple users think they're superior to PC users, PC users get super defensive and aggressive whenever someone mentions Mac. You make a passing comment "Yeah, this Mac has been really useful. Garageband is awesome" and they'll roll their eyes and tell you why PC's are better. I just want to use a Mac. I don't want to fight.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DannikJerriko wrote:
I love Macs. If you love PC's, go for it, I'm not going to tell you off. No offense, but because everyone thinks Apple users think they're superior to PC users, PC users get super defensive and aggressive whenever someone mentions Mac. You make a passing comment "Yeah, this Mac has been really useful. Garageband is awesome" and they'll roll their eyes and tell you why PC's are better. I just want to use a Mac. I don't want to fight.

I love Garageband! Its a good program for those who are wanting to start recording their own music and I think its incredible that its free on each Mac.

And I realize that not all Mac users are like that, just like all PC users aren't defensive. But still, you can't deny that there is a huge status symbol revolving around Mac computers in our current society. PC doesn't openly mock Mac in advertisements, Mac does. Steve Jobs was worshiped as the messiah by most of the Apple community, and if you weren't one of those I salute you for it. Its just one of those things that I've researched heavily because I'm purchasing a new computer soon and I wouldn't blow the extra $800 on it when I don't need Garageband (Got ProTools myself) or a computer for design when programming and customization are my things. But you say that to one of the fanboys and you might as well have walked in and showed them a certificate declaring you legally retarded. I got treated extremely rudely by AT&T representatives when the girlfriend and I were shopping for new phones simply because I didn't want an iPhone, I wanted a Droid. They immediately got snarky and refused to show me phones and instead just insulted me. Sadly they're fairly representative of a lot of Apple culture. The stereotype exists for a reason, and that also goes for defensive PC users.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

There would likely be no Pixar without Steve Jobs, so my hat's off for him.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 1