Dawn of the Jedi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It has some TOR stuff from Tython listed in it. The ruins of Kaleth are in TOR, for instance.

It's definitely the most intriguing thing in upcoming published Expanded Universe, IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It is certainly an exciting era to explore. I hope to read my copy next week.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Doesn't look like I can get my hands on the issue #0 as of now. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

My B&N won't have it until Saturday.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Issue 0 is available on Dark Horse's digital store.
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

That may be true, but I don't like to wait.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I've my copy, but I've yet had the chance to sit down and read it. I'll post my thoughts on it Monday.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Issue 0.

I'm excited for the series as a whole. The temple setup on Tython will open things up and a couple of them are not what I expected. Also, I've been dying to see some of what the Rakata were actually like since KOTOR and this will be amazing I think. We've been given a small glimpse of what we're going to get and I think this will be a fantastic series.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

EUCantina's Dawn of the Jedi #0 review: http://www.eucantina.net/archives/11781

Quote:
I'm excited for the series as a whole. The temple setup on Tython will open things up and a couple of them are not what I expected. Also, I've been dying to see some of what the Rakata were actually like since KOTOR and this will be amazing I think. We've been given a small glimpse of what we're going to get and I think this will be a fantastic series.

I haven't read issue #0, but based on the reviews I've read, I feel the exact same way!

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@DLE: Its gonna be so cool! Wait till you see the Rakata and everything, much more intimidating and awesome than I thought Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I just purchased, and finished, #0, I am definitely stoked for this series.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I enjoyed #0 very much. I was a little unsure if all the #0s are like this one, so I couldn't be sure if it was very informative or not very informative, comparatively speaking. OMb's review makes me think that it's the former, and in that case, it has me very excited for this series. It has me thinking that there'll be an overarching plot, rather than be a collection of random ministories. It provides brief synopses on the planet Tython, as well as the other planets in the system. It gives a brief backstory of the events, like the Despot War - which sounds interesting enough that it could have been a small series of comics itself. It gives a summary of the different Je'Daii temples. The temples themselves are situated in nexuses of the Force, usually in geologically hazardous places - like above an active volcano - and are near to a Tho Yor. A Tho Yor is a pyramidal flying ship that we've seen on the cover of one comic book. There are 8 of these, with one huge one. The comic then details briefly the weapons, technology and ships that we'll probably see in the series. It also gives a small biography of - I'm assuming - the main characters. The most interesting one, for me, is the Red Sith Sek'nos Rath. I'm hoping he turns out to be a good guy, simply because that'd be an interesting twist.

Several other things I wish to point out: the artwork inside is a mixture of hand-drawn and CGI, with no hints as to what the artwork inside the actual upcoming comic books will be like. But these pictures are very good. The only one I didn't like was the picture of Shae Koda. Something's off with regards to her face.

It seems likely that there will be a Rakatan Star Forge featuring in this series. The being wielding a weapon that looks suspiciously like a lightsabre but isn't is called a Force Hound. Force Hounds were Force sensitive beings the Rakata used to find and enslave worlds that were strong in the Force. The not-a-lightsabre weapon is called a Forcesaber. From the comic:

Quote:
The Rakata also created Forcesabers, powerful weapons that channeled [sic] the dark side of the Force through ebon laboratory-grown crystals into glowing energy blades. The basic principles of this technology would later evolve into the lightsabers used by the Jedi.

I'd highly recommend this simply for the wealth of information. For instance, Tython has two moons called Ashla and Bogan. It states that if a Je'Daii strays too far to the light - or the dark - they are deemed out of balance. Those who veer too much to the light are sent to bright Ashla to contemplate Bogan, and those who walk too far into the dark are sent to dark Bogan to contemplate Ashla. And the names, too. They sound familiar - like Anil Kesh - to real world words (though sadly I can't remember just what exactly those real world words are at the moment), and so that makes me think that they've put a great deal of thought into it all.

Having said that, I do have some worries about what's hinted at in the story. And I can see a few getting wound up on possible continuity errors.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Issue #1 comes out next week.
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote  

Yes! The anticipation. I'm eager to read issue #1. I'd like to see how the art is going to look and how the story is going to flow. The #0 issue didn't really give fans an idea of what to expect, though it did provide a lot of background and info.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Get a behind-the-scenes look at Dawn of the Jedi #1 cover art, courtesy of Dark Horse!

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 5 of 9