Dating/Calendars in the SW Universe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dating/Calendars in the SW Universe
 PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I'm familiar with the BBY and and ABY notation used to place events before or after the events of the original movie.

However, I am confused by the dating system that appears in The Essential Atlas.

For example, on page 173 of the Atlas it states that the events of that film begin on "35:3:3".

Can anyone point me to an explanation of this dating/calendar system, please?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think this is what you are looking for.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Great_ReSynchronization

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I always found the Battle of Yavin to be a stupid and less logical central date than the Battle of Endor, which was used throughout the 90s Expanded Universe.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Me too. It's clear that the current system is based on the old BSW4 and ASW4 notations which take the first film as a starting point and originated in the real world, not in the GFFA. It's meant to make comparisons between the real world and the events in the GFFA easier, but it only really confuses things.
From an in-universe view it would make little sence to start your year count four years before your actual victory IMO and for us readers of the post-ROTJ EU it means always subtracting 4 years from any date to now where you are in relation to the events of ROTJ.
Of course you get used to this, but it's just not really logical. Smile

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
I always found the Battle of Yavin to be a stupid and less logical central date than the Battle of Endor, which was used throughout the 90s Expanded Universe.

I think it's used for us though, not the Star Wars galaxy. For me ANH is a good reference point because it's the first movie and the next two movies are close enough in time span that it works for me as the general OT time period. As far as I ABY and BBY are never used in-universe, so historical aspect (i.e. the Battle of Endor being more important historically than the Battle of Yavin) isn't really relevant.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's used in universe, last line of Great ReSynchronization article:

"The Great ReSynchronization system eventually became obsolete under the New Republic and was replaced in 25 ABY with the current Galactic Standard Calendar, centered around the Battle of Yavin (0 ABY)."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Lord Ree'dius wrote:
From an in-universe view it would make little sence to start your year count four years before your actual victory

More people in America remember when the declaration of Independence was signed than when the War for Independence ended. Maybe it's similar for the SW galaxy?

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I believe this is the case in universe because the year of ANH was exactly 1,000 years after the Ruusan Reformation, so it was easier for people in universe to think of 1001 ARR (After Ruusan Reformation) as 1ABY.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:

"The Great ReSynchronization system eventually became obsolete under the New Republic and was replaced in 25 ABY with the current Galactic Standard Calendar, centered around the Battle of Yavin (0 ABY)."

What's that from, because I don't remember ever seeing ABY or BBY in-universe.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reep, when's the last time you said something like, "It's February 7, 2012 A.D." ?

BBY/ABY is the in-universe dating system.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Reepicheep wrote:
Crash Override wrote:

What's that from, because I don't remember ever seeing ABY or BBY in-universe.

Among other sources, it comes from the fact that The New Essential Chronology, which is technically an in-universe document, refers to BBY and ABY.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Reep, when's the last time you said something like, "It's February 7, 2012 A.D." ?

Never, but just yesterday I said that Socrates was executed in 399 BC. If you're talking history, which happens in Star Wars quite a lot, you would use the dating system. Instead we get 'a millenia ago', 'nearly a decade ago' etc.

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Among other sources, it comes from the fact that The New Essential Chronology, which is technically an in-universe document, refers to BBY and ABY.

Ehhh, I guess that counts.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:59 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Thanks, all for the infomative responses!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 1