Post-Fate of the Jedi Literature
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should post-FOTJ novels(If there will be any)be about?
1.Luke,Han and Leia's final adventures
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
2.A second Outbound Flight through the Unknown Regions and exploring the satellite galaxies
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
3.The vision of Allana Solo unifying the Galaxy
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
4.The adventures of an adult Ben Skywalker
42%
 42%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 19

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Cerrinea wrote:

Scholastic does the Young Adult novels not Del Rey so they would have no control over a LOTF, YA series. By and large Del Rey has ignored any of the characters the Jedi Apprentice/Jedi Quest series that Jude Watson added to the EU.

Okay, then I want Scholastic to do a YA series Very Happy .
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:38 am Reply with quote  

^All of the above. I like variety. Cool

Seriously though, I think that's the key. All of the books shouldn't focus on just one thing. It's better when there are several series/stanalones with different styles/focuses. Choices of One and Shadowgames were both fun books. Riptide and Revan were more serious, whereas Riptide and Plagueis had some intellectual threads. Etc, etc.

As long as they go ahead with their plan of small series, I think they'll be plenty of room for variety, giving fans a diverse range of books to enjoy.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Darth Skuldren wrote:
^All of the above. I like variety. Cool

Seriously though, I think that's the key. All of the books shouldn't focus on just one thing. It's better when there are several series/stanalones with different styles/focuses. Choices of One and Shadowgames were both fun books. Riptide and Revan were more serious, whereas Riptide and Plagueis had some intellectual threads. Etc, etc.

As long as they go ahead with their plan of small series, I think they'll be plenty of room for variety, giving fans a diverse range of books to enjoy.

I agree, although I hope to really never read the final stories of any of the main characters. If they just stopped time skipping in books, Luke and the main guys could keep having books made about them for many years.

I'm enjoying Plagueis, and I like FotJ, so I think the EU will still keep going strong. While I don't really like any of the choices on the poll (the EU shouldn't portray Ben or Allana as adults until atleast 2017+ in real life) I do think smaller series are the best way to go.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I wonder if Christie Golden will stick around post-FotJ. All that really sets her apart from other authors is how well she writes Vestara and the Lost Tribe, so it might depend on whether she/they survive Apocalypse.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote  

We haven't heard too much about the future books. We know Kemp, Karpyshyn, and Zahn are writing books (which haven't been named yet. Karpyshyn's will be an end game SWTOR book, Zahn's a Han Solo novel). Beyond that there's Alex Irvine's Sunrider novel, and the fourth Coruscant Nights book.

Depending on the success of Scourge, we might see Jeff Grubb write some more books. I'd bet Allston gets more. But yeah, it'll be interesting to see if Golden and Denning get some more or if they get set aside for a while.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Thinking constructively, I think we need new characters...

If we assume that the nine book series or any sort of mega-series like NJO is no longer an option, I think the next trilogy or duology or standalone has to star completely new characters. Look at Crosscurrent/Riptide, for instance.

Now what I am wondering is if Del Rey is going to put out a trilogy or something that's trumpeted as the next "big story," or if the post-FOTJ books we get are all on the level, so to speak, with Kemp's duology (trilogy?), i.e. no particular story is going to be given more gravity to it than any other, or Kemp's existing novels.

I think if they do have a trilogy or what have you that is considered "galactic threatening" or at least a "big story," it should definitely star new characters, maybe Ben and Jaina included, but not star Luke or Han or Leia.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Ben at all, and I don't have any desire to read a book headlined by him in the same way that I enjoyed books headlined by Anakin Solo (Conquest) and Jacen Solo (Traitor). The jury is still out on Jaina, as I didn't really get into Dark Journey back in 2002, and I haven't gotten to it yet.

I really, really, really think the books need to get away from being so focused upon the Jedi. Look at the last three stories set chronologically prior to the New Jedi Order series:

The Corellian trilogy
The Hand of Thrawn duology
Survivor's Quest

Not a single one of them had a dark side threat in them, and Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade are the only Jedi depicted in any of them, and Mara isn't a Jedi in either the Corellian trilogy or Hand of Thrawn duology. I really think we need a story like this, and looking at the Corellian trilogy, the story isn't even "galactic threatening" insofar as that the threat is a much more personal one to the Solo family, especially the Solo children. Granted, there was a so-called "Starbuster" that rose the stakes. And Survivor's Quest is obviously not a galaxy threatening story either -- and I would argue that Hand of Thrawn is something in which preservation of the New Republic is at stake, but the Empire isn't guaranteed reconquest of the galaxy if the heroes fail, the galaxy would just be fragmented rather than mostly unified under the banner of the New Republic.

The books have definitely been lacking the Han Solo character, and this is in spite of Han Solo being in them, because he's been marginalized to a minor role due to the Jedi focus plus his age. If there is a Jedi character, having him (or her) be like Zayne Carrick would also be helpful, because it would not make the Jedi a "win button" in situations that other characters would struggle with, and eliminate conflicts resolved through Deus Ex Jedi.

And as a personal preference, I've lately found the Jedi characters to be fairly boring. The minor schism in the New Jedi Order series has been useful to make the Jedi characters interesting, and it's obvious based upon later inner conflicts among the Jedi (Corran vs Kyp, Saba vs Kenth) that the writers feel compelled to include these in order to make things interesting. Jacen and Anakin's conflict with each other allows them to be foils for one another and differentiate the two as male Solo Jedi, whereas Jaina was made a Rogue Squadron member to make her stand out. I don't think anything makes Ben stand out apart from his brief jaunt in the Galactic Alliance Guard, and that's not really a large part of his character.

I think these Jedi conflicts is treating the symptom rather than the disease, because I think the Jedi Order -- especially the one depicted in the prequels -- is boring. They're monks, and that really limits their diversity in character. Ancillary Jedi characters are all the same and you can swap their names out for one another. I think that's part of the reason why the Sith are viewed as more interesting and why we've been inundated by Sith novels; the Sith are all about individuality and any particular Sith Lord is very unique compared to any other, e.g. Darth Sion, Darth Nihilus, Darth Vader, Darth Maul.

I also think that the Galactic Alliance has become too antagonistic with Daala and with the focus on the Jedi, it's really ceased to be viewed as a force for good in the galaxy to the readers, but an obstacle for the protagonists. I suppose the Wraith Squadron novel will help in that regard to give a positive perspective to some of the people within the government.

And perhaps SW Legacy is handicapping the books in this regard with the way it has depicted the Jedi Order as being very much like the prequel order, but one way of mitigating the way that the Jedi lack individuality would be a return to the way that they were depicted in the NJO with Corran Horn being called up from his military reserve status, having Jedi serving in the Galactic Alliance military as X-Wing pilots or soldiers, but I suspect that's not much of an option any longer since the young generation of Jedi grew up being trained as Jedi and don't have other skills to draw on.

I think the biggest barrier to me, for the post-FOTJ novels, is characters that I'm invested in, and after 21 books with Ben, I don't think he's going to be someone I become invested in like Luke or Jacen. I think that's the trouble that comes with the way that the Jedi Order is structured so that the characters are trained from a young age, rather than Luke's early classes with characters like Corran Horn that had prior life experiences to being a Jedi that informed their characterization.

And I don't think it's necessarily unsolvable without inorganically going back to that -- though I suppose the post-SW Legacy timeline might allow for it. But the most interesting Jedi character in the New Jedi Order series in my re-reading thus far is Ganner Rhysode, and his depiction hasn't given the reader any inkling what life experiences he has had before becoming a Jedi, if any, and his character is depicted solely as a Jedi.

I think perhaps that would suggest that part of the problem with the books we've gotten lately, i.e. what Ganner Rhysode has that Ben and the other Jedi characters have been lacking, is a character arc. I haven't really seen Ben change all that much as a character from his experiences. Ganner changed enormously just over the course of two books, more than Ben has over the course of many times that number.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:

If we assume that the nine book series or any sort of mega-series like NJO is no longer an option, I think the next trilogy or duology or standalone has to star completely new characters. Look at Crosscurrent/Riptide, for instance.

By new characters do you mean underutilized characters or brand new characters? 'Cause there are plenty of established characters begging to get some page time.

I actually really like Ben Skywalker and wouldn't at all mind seeing him in a starring role.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Crash Override wrote:

By new characters do you mean underutilized characters or brand new characters? 'Cause there are plenty of established characters begging to get some page time.

I actually really like Ben Skywalker and wouldn't at all mind seeing him in a starring role.

The last part of my novel length post deals with how to make Ben Skywalker more appealing to me.

But I mean, certainly give minor characters like Seha Dorvald or whomever a starring role, but also introduce new characters. Like a new Han Solo type character. And it doesn't need to be a smuggler, or anything like that, but just a character that's streetwise, and whose characterization is informed by that, rather than the Force.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

One thing I agree with you, Crash, is the need of new characters or expanding pre-existing characters. Especially non-Jedi characters. Which is one reason I want to see more X-wing books, or even books focusing on the post Hand of Thrawn Empire. Something that will move away from the Jedi/Sith conflict.

Though that said, I wouldn't mind seeing a few books starring some non-Solo/Skywalker Jedi.

Oh and I still want to see a Matrix/Mara Jade team up book.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I have really enjoyed this series. I look forward to theese types of series. Also really digging on Zahn's new stuff set right after "New Hope".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote  

@DarthRonn: that's cool. I certainly enjoyed Choices of One by Zahn.

So far we haven't heard anything about post-FOTJ novels beyond Aaron Allston's Mercy Kill. Though Del Rey has said they've already discussed their plan for the future. Wonder when they'll reveal the news.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Skuls: Well we know they don't want big, epic stories again because they haven't been 100% successful since NJO ended and I think they know that. LotF was a mess, FotJ cleaned it all up, but now they have an opening to do something on either an extremely large scale again or on a small one like BS used to. We'll see a trilogy or something soon I think.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote  

Kemp still has that "ambitious" duology they've been murmuring about. That could be post-FOTJ. I would think that would be a good candidate to start talking about the future. Any other books would be completely new news.

Right now Kemp, Allston, Zahn, Karpyshyn, Bohnhoff and Reaves are the only authors on the list for upcoming novels. Everybody but Kemp is pre-FOTJ for sure. Since Kemp has worked in both TOR and contemporary periods, there's no telling where his books will be.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing the Empire of the Hand again. They just kind of disappeared, rather unrealistically...

I don't think they really 'disappeared', they just haven't been mentioned in a while. Which is unfortunate. I was hoping we'd get an idea of what its location and size was in the Essential Atlas, but it was basically ignored. Same for the Ssi-ruuk. Both are interestin g parts of the Unknown regions that would be interesting to see.

And neither would occupy more than a small corner of that. Ssi-ruuk are stated to be a star cluster. That can't take up significantly more size than Hapes near Bakura. Hardly any change. The Empire of the hand would be bigger, but logically would only occupy the space between the Imperial Remnant and the Chiss Ascendency - again that can't take up more than a relatively small section of the UR.

That leaves pretty much the entire rim unexplored, as well as pretty much everything galactic south from the Ascendency.

Then there's also the rim spinward of places like Dac, Tattoine, Excarga, etc. Who knows what's tucked out there? And then there's the two satellite galaxies that we never see (the one with the Nagi and Tof, who I wouldn't mind seeing again also, and the one we've never heard anything of).

There's still plenty of unexplored space even if we get to see these again.

jbird669 wrote:
I'd actually like to see Luke and or Leia search for their real mother and head to Naboo. We had a novel that has Luke begin his search but then he got some of the recordings of R2D2 from ROTS in one of the books. Once FOTJ ends, perhaps there will be some peace and they can look for information on her.

That was in Dark Nest. Given there's a gap of 4 years between Dark Nest and LOTF there's a lot of space there to include novels about that (and do a Skywalker family novel).

In fact there's 6 years between NJO and DN,a nd 4 between DN and LOTF.

That's a full decade where we have absolutely nothing written that gives us a lot of opportunities for novels. The remnants of the Vong invasion being cleared out. What the hell ever happened to Admiral Tarest Key'fey (I miss that guy)? Cleanup and rebuilding of Coruscant. Buildup of tension betwen Omas and the Jedi order seen in DN and Legacy (they were on good terms in NJO). Luke/Leia investigating Padme and Anakin's history once they have information from R2D2...

On a related note, something that a lot of people forget is that Luke was supporting Gariel Capistan's daughter for many years (mentioned in NJO). What ever happend with her? COuld thrown in a trip to Bakura with one to Naboo.

Not to speak of actually covering Jacen's Journey.

There's no shortage of stuff that can be covered there.

Reepicheep wrote:
I wonder if Christie Golden will stick around post-FotJ. All that really sets her apart from other authors is how well she writes Vestara and the Lost Tribe, so it might depend on whether she/they survive Apocalypse.

I have to admit, I can't stand her use of the word "TOO" to start every other sentence. It's gramatically incorrect in almost every instance she uses it.

her writing is also very boring IMHO. I rather hope she doesn't.

Darth Skuldren wrote:
We haven't heard too much about the future books. We know Kemp, Karpyshyn, and Zahn are writing books (which haven't been named yet. Karpyshyn's will be an end game SWTOR book, Zahn's a Han Solo novel). Beyond that there's Alex Irvine's Sunrider novel, and the fourth Coruscant Nights book.

Depending on the success of Scourge, we might see Jeff Grubb write some more books. I'd bet Allston gets more. But yeah, it'll be interesting to see if Golden and Denning get some more or if they get set aside for a while.

The Sunrider novel (Mandorla I think it was called) by Irving has actually been Cancelled. I'm quite disappointed with that.

I hope Grubb comes back, since he has a history with Star Wars and can actually bring in a lot of obscure stuff that is otherwise ignored.

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Kemp still has that "ambitious" duology they've been murmuring about. That could be post-FOTJ. I would think that would be a good candidate to start talking about the future. Any other books would be completely new news.

Right now Kemp, Allston, Zahn, Karpyshyn, Bohnhoff and Reaves are the only authors on the list for upcoming novels. Everybody but Kemp is pre-FOTJ for sure. Since Kemp has worked in both TOR and contemporary periods, there's no telling where his books will be.

I believe the contract is ending in the next year and they're starting a new one correct? So I understand the lag time while they set that up. Though apparently they already have some of it planned.

I haven't finished Riptide yet, but I did scan the last few pages of it out o curiosity about how a certain plot point would end. I would suspect strongly that Kemp's upcomming duology will follow up on the ... issues that are raised by that. For both Soldier and Jaden.

I also wouldn't mind reading more about that...unusual construct....that appeared in the book.

Caedus_16 wrote:
@Skuls: Well we know they don't want big, epic stories again because they haven't been 100% successful since NJO ended and I think they know that. LotF was a mess, FotJ cleaned it all up, but now they have an opening to do something on either an extremely large scale again or on a small one like BS used to. We'll see a trilogy or something soon I think.

I don't think it was really the plot or idea of LOTF that was a mess though. It was more the execution because a certain writer seemed to include a separate trillogy in the middle of it that didnt fit in with anything else. If you take the general plot idea of the books and distill each one down to 5 sentences, then ut them in order, ghe progression of the GA makes sense. But the ancillary parts don't fit well.

THat's a writing issue, not a planning one. FotJ shows that they do know how to run something like this if they have the right writers.

But I think another reason that they'll probably go back to trilogies etc. like the Bantum era for a while is for something different, and to allow them more freedom without tying themselves to a single story-line for many years. Also allows them to push the timeline forward more quickly.

Keep in mind that during the last couple contracts (LOTF and FOTJ) they also were working on the Clone Wars, the Force Unleashed, and The Old Republic at the same time, so they had to split their writers to focus on each era.

With TFU and Clone Wars now closed off, and the rest of Dark Times temporarily off-limits for significant work, they can focus on TOR and post-FOTJ eras for writing, allowing them to dedicate more writers to each, with a few books stuck in elsewhere in the timeline as they get appropriate authors.

Trilogies and Duologies allows them to publish several things at the same point in the timeline at once, rather than having to wait for the next book to be finished in the series. I think it smore a point of practicality than really wanting to avoid another massive series.

I also strongly disagree that Ben is an uninteresting character. He is developing as a character. Read a book from DN, then one from mid-LOTF then, then Apocalypse. Its not the same character at all. It just has been occuring more gradually (as things tend to do in real life) and it actually is a good progression for the character.

As for the jedi being generally uninteresting, I think that's mainly due to the fact that if their last name isn't "skywalker" they've been marginalized. Even in a series called "fate of the Jedi".

When was the last time you heard Kyle Katarn get more than 3 lines? There's apparently a Yuzzem on the Council. Where did he come from? We know nothing about him. Seha's had what, a chapter between 18 books since her introduction?

Kenth and Saba had some page time, but that's about it. The jedi would be far more interestng if they got page time. Think of Jaden Korr in Crosscurrent and Riptide. I suspect the new guy in Scourge will be the same. Characters become interesting when you actually get to read about them.

the reason that the sith are generally 'more interesting' is because more time is spent developing them as adversaries to the established Jedi they are fighting, so they get more page time.

What we need are more Kemp-like books that focus on things that don't involve the Skywalkers as much. And Crosscurrent and Riptide were both still bestsellers.

Luke still was mentioned in both, and briefly talked to Jaden in the second. In fact that conersation was a great way to include Luke - clearly in charge, clearly still bad-ass, just not "boots on the ground" for that particular issue. That's what we need more of.

Kyp was a very popular Jedi because of the page time he got during the later years of the bantum books. When was the last time he had a staring role in a novel? (hint: think NJO and DN)

I'm all for including more non-jedi characters as well (in point of fact, I was disappointed to discover Marr was force-sensitive in Crosscurrent, it was an unnecessary part of his character, he worked much better without it IMHO). And there's a lot of places that authors could take that. But that doesn't mean it has to exclude Jedi characters either.

Also, something else I would suggest, would be the inclusion of other force-using sects that are neither Jedi or Sith. We got brushes with them at the beginning of FOTJ, but not as really major players. THose could be rather interesting to explore as well.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's interesting that people talk about "there's a lot of room for stories set in X era" because as far as I see they never do that.

Sure they'll go back and fill in a previously unfilled era, but the stories all go forward and then they don't go back again. Think TOR and Prequel era. The only era that They've consistently gone back to is the OT/ New Republic and then letting Zhan write more books about his characters that don't really cross over with anything else.

Do you really think there is any viability to getting more stories set during NJO? I doubt it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 5 of 6