The Force Unleashed Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Okay, so I finally purchased TFU after my very generous and amazing aunt gave me a gift card to NewEgg. Let me say this, it's an excellent game visually, and the storyline is very engaging. However...!

The fact that they couldn't have cared less about the PC gamers is a little galling. Not that this bothers me in and of itself, but it's just the principle of the matter, you can't even use a mouse on the menu! Also, the camera angles are absolutely horrible during the boss fights. Horrible. This may be across the board, but on a computer, it makes it even harder. Let me suggest that if you are comfortable with controllers, definitely play TFU for the PC with a game controller. They definitely did not have the PC gamers in mind when they ported over. Combinations are rather difficult on the keyboard, so you find yourself using the same combos over and over, much to my personal dismay. I want to see some awesome Force moves! But they're just hard to access. Like one, I believe, you have to click the mouse seven times, then press Shift + Q + E. What?! So yeah. Difficult.

Gorgeous game, though. Thankfully it plays almost flawlessly on my computer. There are some lag spots, but I can tell you that it's very demanding graphically. If I play it for more than an hour at a time, I have to restart, because it starts lagging too badly to play. But thankfully that's a long enough period of time that it's not so bad.

Anyway, I haven't finished the game yet, but I'm enjoying it so far. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Interesting. I hadn't heard anything about how the game played on the PC. I think the control scheme was pretty much flawless on the consoles, but there were a few spots were doing what they told you to didn't actually work. But, I think we should remember that TFU was designed with consoles in mind, because of the new gaming engines they were going to use. Not that those worked out. Rolling Eyes

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I think this time around-- both for the consoles and PC-- the game's mechanics and controls will be much smoother. TFU II is coming out on PC right off the bat with the consoles, so no doubt they've taken care to get it all right. Also, the work is done, so all the need do now if use feedback to improve.

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I'm sorry. This is a discussion topic for The Force Unleashed. Please discuss all TFU II content in the TFU II thread. Razz

Just kidding everyone! Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Well it's back to TFU for me. Been away from it for awhile while making my way through KOTOR II and Allies. It really is a pretty fun game, but the levels seem a little too short. Like, for instance, the computer controls are really somewhat of a hindrance, but I feel that if I were playing this on the Xbox or something, I'd be running through the levels at breakneck speed. Neutral

It's pretty enjoyable, though. And it's so pretty, you've got to like that. Wink

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Well it's back to TFU for me. Been away from it for awhile while making my way through KOTOR II and Allies. It really is a pretty fun game, but the levels seem a little too short. Like, for instance, the computer controls are really somewhat of a hindrance, but I feel that if I were playing this on the Xbox or something, I'd be running through the levels at breakneck speed. Neutral

I sort of think TFU was designed with that feeling in mind, that you're so powerful and you just crush through everything fairly quickly. Thinking back to Cloud City, I can barely remember the level - and I played through it at least three times! The concentration was really on the Force powers moreso than attention to levels in terms of details. It's probably why Felucia looked so bland when compared to other depictions of the planet. So rather than stopping to inspect the details of the world you're in, like I've done in some games, you just plod through to the next explosion or fight.

Shoot, the second half of the game is basically revisiting almost all the levels from the first half of the game. It smacks of laziness in level design.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Good point, Zero. I just finished the game, and I have to agree that you're right. The more I played through it, the more enjoyable it became. I believe a second playthrough is in order, this time to fully appreciate it. Smile

I'll have to choose a different ending this time, anyway. Good gosh, the Emperor was difficult to beat! Although, honestly, I thought Vader was harder. Definitely took me longer to beat him than anyone else, by far. I thought Kota and Shaak Ti were too easy. Kazdan was pretty darn hard, and those stupid purge troopers gave me a lot of trouble the first time I ran into them. Definitely not a game you can just run through (not with the bosses, anyway), but I like that. At least it's not like the old SNES Return of the Jedi. I'm pretty sure that's next to impossible to beat, and I mean that literally. I have some friends that used to have it, and they said it took them 2 years to beat the last level alone! Shocked

Anyway, great game, great story, great cut scenes. Am playing through the extra levels now. Very enjoyable, and I do recommend it for PC, though only if that's the only way you'll be able to play it. If you have a qualifying console, definitely go for that. But if PC is your only hope, I would highly recommend it, though be sure your computer can play it. If you have the lag issues I've heard that a lot of people have, it's not going to be even close to worth it. Mine doesn't lag until after more than an hour straight of play, but let me tell you it's not even worth playing once that starts happening. When it's running smoothly, however, excellent game. Smile

Edit: Extra levels were pretty impressive! Hoth was fun all around, and I enjoyed the ending (which I didn't know was coming). Jedi Temple was my favorite, though I wish he would have talked to his dad a little more. Tatooine was my least favorite, and I didn't enjoy having to kill Boba Fett. Sad

Overall, though, great extras! Not worth buying the entire game again, but if you don't own it yet, go for this version! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Well this is interesting. I just found this review for the first game:

The story was incredible,personally I don't like most of the star wars movies and stories at all but I truly enjoyed Force Unleashed story.

Confused

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I personally liked the story very much as well. It was almost as if it was a movie in itself, which is rare for Star Wars games, or any game for that matter. But it wasn't better than the movies, for sure! Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, I thought the story in the game was above excellent, for sure! But that's where I was confused, as well. How can you like The Force Unleashed, but not like the movies? Confused

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
The fact that they couldn't have cared less about the PC gamers is a little galling... you can't even use a mouse on the menu!

That sucks, I regret buying it off steam now (haven't played it yet).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Anakinlover89 wrote:
I can't wait for this game, to play a Star Wars game thats not Legos will be wonderful

I know, right

-Ben Kenobi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Just finished TFUII the other day. Kind of disappointingly short. And since they basically cancelled TFUIII the story is pointless, it could have been better with just one entry.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I agree the 2nd one was very short, it wasnt as good as the 1st one. I never heard TFU3 was cancelled,thats rubbish. Theres things that wont get explained then from wot happens at the end of the 2nd game

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm glad it was cancelled, they should do an actual good project instead of the Force Unleashed rubbish.

Page 11 of 12