Are the Novels Canon?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

We've all seen that GL quote probably about a thousand times Wink . But the thing is: it's George, and it's his universe, his creation and he's not just allowed, but has the right to do things the rest of us don't.

Now I'm not saying you can't have your own personal canon and ignore some things in favor of others. (Personally I kind of blank out every contribution Karen Traviss has ever made to the EU.) It's just not going to ever be any kind of official canon or continuity. Some fans have a very hard time of dealing with their own personal canon not being THE canon.

Also, GL pays a lot more attention to the EU than a lot of fans realize.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Oh, definitely. I just like the idea of a personal canon so I can enjoy the Star Wars universe as a whole myself. When I think about things like Chewie dying in the EU books and Luke turning to the Dark Side and the Emperor cloning himself, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. So to get more out of the books I like, I just choose to tick off the stuff I don't like in my head as if it never existed.

But that's just me, haha. I'm not trying to impose it on anyone else Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sorry, you said there are two continuities?

Cause I disagree. I have never heard of their being two continuities.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Also, GL pays a lot more attention to the EU than a lot of fans realize.

And yet (like fans who include only what they want to) he only acknowledges what he eventually decides he likes better, leading to plot holes, inconsistencies, and overwriting one idea with one that can sell more action figures (Clone Wars vs The Clone Wars TV Series 2008+ anyone?). Yes, its his universe. But for the most part everything HE has done in it since the Ewoks has been a marketing scheme at the cost of anything with life in it. We've been given a lot of memorable things, but we also got Jar Jar and an Obi-Wan who left Darth Vader alive and can't remember R2 and 3PO even though he knew them on and off for almost 30 years. Sometimes, Lucas just does crap and likes to change his mind. I get that. But he doesn't have to continuously tread over not only what we've grown to love but things he did originally. When what you do makes no sense with what came before then you have earned your criticism in terms of story. People can say its his thing all they want, but that doesn't stop lots of it from being incredibly stupid.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

"Your overconfidence is your weakness, George."

"Your faith in continuity is yours."

All Lucas did was rip off (or pay loving homage to, you decide) movies from the 50's that had been repeating the same storybook story since forever, and add magical wizards and aliens.

Maybe he came up with the original spark that started the Big Bang, but he did not create the Universe and it is not solely his. It's the creation of everyone who had a hand in making it and who made it endure in the heart's of generations beyond just an idea. To give an example, Han Solo by far belongs to Harrison Ford more than he does to Lucas. Same for everything in the EU.

He shared his vision with others and he disrespects them by refusing to acknowledge their own.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
"Your overconfidence is your weakness, George."

"Your faith in continuity is yours."

I shall frame this at once and hang it above my Star Wars book collection. In two short sentences it says all the things I never could about being a Star Wars EU fan.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 2