Star Wars Saga in 3D
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

SidiousThrawn wrote:
I loved E1 for: the costumes, Darth Sidious/Palps, Darth Maul, Padme, Podracing, Yoda.

For me...the saving grace for entire PT is....Palpatine. IMcD's acting is wonderful. He comes off as the wonderful caring grandfatherly type of person. If you didn't know the OT, the revelation in E3 would really haved shocked you.

I'd go just to see him and the podracing. Can't forget Maul.

It's odd, but I saw the OT first, knew Palpatine was Sidious already, and yet that still seemed to shock me! I remember putting stickers in my Official Episode III sticker album, and when I got the Yoda/Palpatine fight one, I read the blurb and was stunned to see that Palpatine was Sidious. I have no idea why.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

OK, I've seen it and enjoyed it.

Thoughts on the movie: Jake Lloyd wasn't that bad. Shmi was worse. Podrace still meh. Padme talking in her Queen voice is one of the most annoying things in the PT. The Neimoidans were so unspeakably bad it brings pain to my face. The Battle Droids looked amazing on the big screen; I don't know whether he'd retouched them for this or not, but they looked amazing.

Thoughts on the 3D: I liked it as it didn't look like 2D objects in front of other 2D objects (like Avatar) and the Gungan city looked awesome! The 3D highlight was when the camera did an overhead shot of one of those ship floating platforms on Coruscant. There were some parts, though, where there was no 3D at all.

And I didn't spot Quinlan AGAIN!

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DannikJerriko wrote:
And I didn't spot Quinlan AGAIN!

He's super background. I spotted him but this was my first time. My friend asked who that guy was and I looked and in that split second I saw a rasta with a yellow line on his face during the Tattooine sequence. I felt awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I always try to find him but I'm too caught up in the story by the time he appears... Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

If you're watching the DVD, you need to pause it right when Sebulba looks like he's going to punch the cringing Jar Jar and Anakin is walking into frame to admonish Sebulba in Huttese:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:08 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ah, what an experience.

Okay: I almost completely forgot about Quinlan Vos, but as that scene came about I remembered what was said here and kept an eye out for him. I'd seen him before, so I couldn't understand why this tent pole was in the way, but at the back end of that scene I was given two glimpses of him. They were brief, but he was there, and it made me grin quite a bit. Same, too, with Aurra Sing.

I must admit that I found my mind to be wandering over and over again, as I was inundated with memories. Of seeing this, of reading the source books, of debating points of the film, even of a little clip from LEGO Star Wars, where Obi Wan and Qui Gon are struggling to push the hyperdrive up the ramp, and R2 comes along, attaches a cord, and pulls it up easily. So at times I had to remind myself to live in the moment, as it were, and enjoy the film.

This was not easy when Palpatine was on the screen. Every scene with him brought me right back to Plagueis. Especially the Coruscant scenes, and the one at the end. I kept thinking: 'he doesn't know, here. He doesn't know, here. He knows! He knows!' Oh, it was most intriguing, and lent a bit more depth to those scenes, and gave more life to what some might argue was a distinct lull in the movie.

As for the 3D itself, it wasn't actually that bad. In a few scenes, yes, it looked like there was no effect used, but I surmise that that's because there wasn't much that could be done, since there were only a few objects to focus on, and they were at the same range. I'm thinking mainly of the Obi Wan - Maul fight, at the end. I also think that there were some problems with the 3D when an object moved from the fore- to the background, or vice versa, in that they didn't seem to change which region of depth they were in.

Having said that, they were fairly minor gripes, and overall I thoroughly enjoyed the 3D aspect, and the film overall.

I have a question as to the Blu Ray. Apart from digital Yoda, what other bits and pieces were added? I think, but can't be sure, there were a few scenes that looked new, or touched up - but that may just be faulty memory. For example, the little bit where Qui Gon asks Shmi if she's all right, after learning that Anakin had been freed. I don't remember that from the last time I watched it (that little bit reminded me again on how underhanded - maybe not the right word - Qui Gon's actions were, and made me sad for her all over again). Was it always there?

And I brought along my lightsabre. And my stormie figure Very Happy .
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

DannikJerriko wrote:
Shmi was worse......Padme talking in her Queen voice is one of the most annoying things in the PT.

This is interesting, as I consider those things as two of the best parts of the film.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Was Voss in the original one or just the 3d?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

He was in the original one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

sweet. thanks. I had also forgot about Aurra Sing. Really TPM is only cool because of the EU. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Yeah, watching it reminded me how EU-heavy this movie is.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

A lot of it was just kind of there and back stories were created later. This movie wasn't EU heavy, the EU just picked up its slack.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Speaking of Voss. I watched RoTS the other night and caught a reference to Voss. I believe it was in the scene after Anakin is excepted to the council.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Was Voss in the original one or just the 3d?

SidiousThrawn wrote:
I believe it was in the scene after Anakin is excepted to the council.

It's before that: Saleucami has fallen, and Master Vos has moved his troops to Boz Pity.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Release dates for Episodes II and III in 3D have been given at CVI:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/26/star-wars-attack-of-the-clones-and-revenge-of-the-sith-3d-opening-back-to-back

AotC: Sept. 20th 2013
RotS: Oct. 11th 2013

I'm so glad they're doing this! I will only have the bad taste of Episode II for three weeks instead of a full year! The footage I saw at CVI was magnificent though and was a vast improvement over TPM's 3D (even that I still loved).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 15 of 17