The Clone Wars: The Sith Hunters
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Clone Wars: The Sith Hunters
 PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote  

Dark Horse has revealed that a new graphic novella by Henry Gilroy and Steven Melching will be out in August called The Clone Wars: The Sith Hunters.

Source

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Wow, that's a real amateuristic cover...
I thought this was some kind of fan fic before I read the rest of the post. Confused

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote  

Some perspective on the previous covers...

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Lord Ree'dius wrote:
Wow, that's a real amateuristic cover...
I thought this was some kind of fan fic before I read the rest of the post. Confused

Dark Horse has apparently never heard of judging a book by its cover. Their cover art has taken a noticeable downturn in quality in the last year or so.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Vilezero
Too true. Don't they understand that the cover is half of selling a comic? If you take a look at the covers for Dark Times of late for instance, you'll see the level to which the cover art can drop at Dark Horse.

@Skuldren
Well, that does put it in perspective somewhat, but still the Maul cover is bad... This morning I found out why, the cover was drawn by Filoni himself. (He could have saved himself the trouble if you ask me)

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

TCW comics are for kids. Take a look at other kids' comics out on the market.

Dark Times is definitely a comic for adults.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

It doesn't matter how much the Year of Darth Maul is marketed, absolutely nothing is going to make me care about Darth Maul. Nothing. It's best to give up now, Star Wars! Razz

Lord Ree'dius wrote:
This morning I found out why, the cover was drawn by Filoni himself. (He could have saved himself the trouble if you ask me)

There aren't many covers drawn by Dave Filoni, though. Dark Horse isn't only selling the cover per se, but also Dave Filoni, the cover artist. Back in January, Dave Filoni designed a poster (signed by George Lucas and TCW people) for charity and the poster sold for $1,451.04. In short, The Clone Wars: The Sith Hunters could be a collector's item.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

[quote="Dancelittleewok"]It doesn't matter how much the Year of Darth Maul is marketed, absolutely nothing is going to make me care about Darth Maul. Nothing. It's best to give up now, Star Wars! Razz

YES!!!! Someone besides me who doesn't care for Maul!!

Still, I think all these Maul things is just a gimick to get folks to buy merchandise-or to make kids beg their parents to buy the merchandise.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I don't think it started off as a way to make merchandise (Star Wars has always been merchandise heavy. That's how Lucas made his money from the first film, I believe). I think they simply went 'hey, bringing Maul back would be a cool story! Let's do it!' which is just as bad, in my opinion Crying or Very sad .
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote  

I'm still waiting for The Return of Jabba!

As for Filoni doing covers, I'm okay with that. I don't plan on buying this, so it doesn't bother me. The art style of the Maul/Opress cover does resemble the shows model styles. I think the only real flaw is the coloring doesn't match the show's style.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Who is the Chiss Jedi on that comic?

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Kung'urama'nuruodo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote  

I got a chance to read this. First off, it is a kid's comics. Dark Horse has the age level listed as 8 and there is no blood in the comic. That said, there's actually a lot of violence (people getting killed, lightsabers cutting off hands, etc). The art is very bright and cartoony.

There's actually some interesting things in it. It shows Maul falling to the bottom of the reactor shaft on Naboo, being ejected into some clear tube and carried off on a ship to the garbage world where he's tossed out with all the other trash. It then shows him saving the snake creatures life, passing out, and the snake creature returning the favor. It was kind of neat.

One thing I had never paid attention to before is whether Maul and Savage knew their masters names. According to this comic, they don't. They simply refer to them as Shadows. In fact they don't even know if they had the same master or not. On top of that Palpatine learns from Anakin that Darth Maul is alive and seem genuinely surprised. He then rather slyly tried to persuade Anakin that they don't know for sure Maul is alive, that he's even a Sith, and then to top it off he says he's going to study the Sith to better understand the situation.

At one point Plo Koon gets his masked removed in combat (they don't show his face though). There's also a Bruce Lee Jedi who can touch object and catch a Force vision.

Lot of interesting stuff for a kids comic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
I don't think it started off as a way to make merchandise (Star Wars has always been merchandise heavy. That's how Lucas made his money from the first film, I believe). I think they simply went 'hey, bringing Maul back would be a cool story! Let's do it!' which is just as bad, in my opinion Crying or Very sad .

Nah, coupled with the re-release of The Phantom Menace and their vintage toy line (not to mention about 15 different Maul toys before the year was half over), books, comics, and supplemental material all scream "We had a very popular character, lets bring him back and sell the crap outta him." It bothers me and you will probably see a big Jango and Boba and Mace campaign next year, maybe even a lot more lightsaber fight Yoda.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Nah, coupled with the re-release of The Phantom Menace and their vintage toy line (not to mention about 15 different Maul toys before the year was half over), books, comics, and supplemental material all scream "We had a very popular character, lets bring him back and sell the crap outta him." It bothers me and you will probably see a big Jango and Boba and Mace campaign next year, maybe even a lot more lightsaber fight Yoda.

We're either gonna have a Clone Wars episode about Boba in Mandalorian armor, or we're gonna find out that Jango survived and his head will be sewn onto a battle droid body.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2