What Bantam Books are most important to the ongoing EU Story
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Cerrinea wrote:
Quote:
Reading 'it made Corran Horn out to be a super Jedi more awesom than Luke' made me choke on my drink! I don't understand how the person who wrote that review got that idea

Maybe because Stackpole massively Gary Stued Coran in the first half of the book. Wink

But then Stackpole redeems himself in the second half. Anyway, I, Jedi is still one of my favorite Bantam era novels.

Part of that was intentional, I think. Since the book is told exclusively through his POV, you get his worldview coloring everything. In the beginning he comes off as arrogant, cocky, and overly sure of himself.

Theeeen he gets humbled halfway through.

"You know, on some worlds, it's a felony to wear an ewok as a swimsuit."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Pros of X-wing: It fleshes out characters, pretty much shows the whole Galactic Civil War and best of all it's a whole series that doesn't require you to read anything else.

Cons: You may not care about those characters. Wedge is the only one I care about and we get enough of him from the movies and other books. It's not all space battles, but that is a big part and if you don't like that it might be boring. It doesn't have a huge impact on the rest of the EU, in terms of storyline that isn't explained elsewhere when necessary.

I can't recommend starting out with NJO. You've skipped 20 years of EU history, and even though it's summarized you won't know who any of the characters are outside of the big 4. Even if you only care about then, you kind of have to care about at least some of the other characters since a lot of the story revolves around them.

Although the actual plot of NJO doesn't require any knowledge of past events because it's a new thing, I think you're missing out if you don't read at least some of the previous stuff.

It also has a lot of space battles, and IMO the individual books are hit and miss.

I'd say to only read the hardcover books, plus Darktide 1 and 2, Traitor, and maybe Dark Journey.

For the Fate of the Jedi series the essentials:
1. Outcast
2. Omen
3. Abyss
5. Allies
7. Conviction
8. Ascension (unless you care about Vestara, actually this might be skippable. IDK, haven't read the last one yet)
9. Armageddon (presumably)

(for a boring series where nothing really happens apparently you need to follow it pretty closely to know what is going on. I guess that's an improvement over LOTF.)

Oh no, I don't plan on skipping 20 years of EU history. Heavens, no. In fact, I'm finishing up Black Fleet Crisis right now. I've found quite a few books with poor reviews that I've truly enjoyed, so I'm just plunging into them regardless now. The only ones I've held back on are I, Jedi and the X-Wing series.

You all have convinced me to give X-Wing series a try. I think I'll read I, Jedi eventually. The question is whether I should read them right now while I'm still in the era, or if I can hold off until after starting NJO, since I'm anxious to start NJO.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote  

You'll want to read the X-Wing series prior to Allston's two books in the NJO. I'd also recommend Stackpole's X-Wing books and I, Jedi in order to have Corran's backstory. I can't remember what book he pops up in, but somewhere Corran has some big roles in the NJO.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

And as a bonus to reading the X-Wing novels now ...

In August, Aaron Allston is releasing a brand new entry into the series, first one since 1999. Now's the perfect time to get into them.

Just remember, the first book is dry. Rogue Squadron has some good moments, but it's a bit of a slog to get through. Once you're past that, however, the series blasts off. Wedge's Gamble onward is some of the most fun you'll ever have in the EU.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Darth Skuldren wrote:
You'll want to read the X-Wing series prior to Allston's two books in the NJO. I'd also recommend Stackpole's X-Wing books and I, Jedi in order to have Corran's backstory. I can't remember what book he pops up in, but somewhere Corran has some big roles in the NJO.

Both books of Dark Tide, he's with Anakin and Tahiri in Edge of Victory, and again on The Final Prophecy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Okay, so I finished the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy. I loved the first book. The second book was good. The last book was ho-hum for me. I think it was Leia's story that drew me in, and not much of Leia's story was in the last book.

Per all your strong recommendations, I am starting the X-Wing series. Rogue Squadron is supposed to be the weakest in the series, right? I'm expecting that so I won't be too disappointed. Just starting out, there are a lot of new characters to figure out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I promise I thought the title said, "Batman books important to the EU". Laughing

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Any books that feature Thrawn are (in my humble opinion) are important to the EU.

The Jedi Academy Trilogy is important. These show how the Jedi reemerged after Order 66 wiped most of them out.

The Darth Bane trilogy gives insight into the Sith philosophy.

Courtship of Princess Leia. This one introduces the NightSisters.

I, Jedi tells about Corren Horn's decision to join the Jedi.

These are all I can think of at the moment.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Jade wrote:
Per all your strong recommendations, I am starting the X-Wing series. Rogue Squadron is supposed to be the weakest in the series, right? I'm expecting that so I won't be too disappointed. Just starting out, there are a lot of new characters to figure out.

Rogue Squadron is definitely the weakest in the series. Not to say that it's bad (because there are far, far worse books int he EU). It's merely average. Some good things scattered throughout, but it's a dense read. Gets much better from Wedge's Gamble onward.

Of the Rogues, the really important characters in the first X-Wing arc (books 1-4) are Wedge, Corran, Tycho, and Gavin.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

With the end of the "Legends" Universe, seems like its a perfect time to resurrect this thread, now that I know where it is.

Like the OP, I have started wondering lately what could be considered absolutely essential reading throughout the entirety of the Star Wars universe. Del Ray has focused quite heavily on stand alones lately, but my interest is honestly in the works that tie into the larger fabric instead of the side stories.

Most post ROTJ stuff ties together, except for Scourge. What about the Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy, though? I know it shows Fett escaping from the Scarlacc, but so do a few other works. Are they considered essential?

Any recommendations on how to approach the post ANH pre ESB era since it's so crowded with contradictory stories?

The less said about TCW, the better. I've decided I'm following the original Clone Wars timeline.

Kenobi, Shadow Games, The Last Jedi?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
With the end of the "Legends" Universe, seems like its a perfect time to resurrect this thread, now that I know where it is.

Like the OP, I have started wondering lately what could be considered absolutely essential reading throughout the entirety of the Star Wars universe. Del Ray has focused quite heavily on stand alones lately, but my interest is honestly in the works that tie into the larger fabric instead of the side stories.

Most post ROTJ stuff ties together, except for Scourge. What about the Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy, though? I know it shows Fett escaping from the Scarlacc, but so do a few other works. Are they considered essential?

Any recommendations on how to approach the post ANH pre ESB era since it's so crowded with contradictory stories?

The less said about TCW, the better. I've decided I'm following the original Clone Wars timeline.

Kenobi, Shadow Games, The Last Jedi?

It is actually possible to reconcile both timelines into one cohesive one. I still ned to see the bonus content and new darth maul comic to fit those in though. Its quite difficult, but once I'm done I'll post it up.

ANH to ESB is only crowded in the first year post-ANH because little actually gets as far as Empire. Hard to say what's essential since basically everything overlaps.

The Bount Hunter Wars, Scourge, and Survivor's Quest aAll are pretty good though
re basically stand alones that don't tie into the rest of the post-ROTJ universe.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

OK, this is the list I've come up with. Since its so long I'm sticking it under spoiler tags. If any of you think that something I have not included on here can be included, with good reason, then I will add it back in.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Yes, I have stopped at The Unifying Force.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

To be quite honest, I can't say I'd recommend reading anything past the NJO.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
To be quite honest, I can't say I'd recommend reading anything past the NJO.

My thoughts precisely.

After hearing how Denning shoehorned TCW into FOTJ (though admittedly at the very end) and Crucible, I really have no desire to read or own those books.

I wouldn't mind picking up Mercy Kill, Millennium Falcon, or Crosscurrent/Riptide, but since Falcon's Seff Hellin subplot sets up for FOTJ and Mercy Kill is sandwiched between FOTJ and Crucible, there's no point.

I liked LOTF at the beginning and still do, largely, but Tahiri's Heel Face Turn is awful. Dark Nest is bad, bad. Looking back now, I can't believe I bought those books. And Caedus is referenced in the Legacy comics. Oy.

Yeah, I think I'm going to stop with The Unifying Force. Fortunately, I've only bought 7 post NJO novels (Dark Nest and 4 LOTF books). To the library they go.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Crosscurrent/Riptide is a must for me. Excellent books.

I liked LotF, but FotJ was a travesty. That said, I wouldn't mind re-reading FotJ just for the characters. For example I love Ben Skywalker as a character and you can pretty much only get him in LotF and FotJ. And also, even if the main plot of FotJ was choppy and terrible, there were some interesting subplots. I really liked Darkmeld and wish it had gone on longer (Kenth Hamner ruining all my fun... Mad ).

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 3 of 4