Dialogue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dialogue
 PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The dialogue in TCW is so varied it sometimes feels like the characters are inhabiting entirely different galaxies. The bounty hunters possibly have the best dialogue, being gritty and realistic. The politician's have awful dialogue. They're either unrealistically benign or evil (and loving it). The clone dialogue is typical soldier banter and is usually well done. The Battle Droids are like something out of a dopey Jr. High show. The Jedi can be anywhere in between.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Last edited by Reepicheep on Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The dialogue in ALL Star Wars shows (prequels, TCW movie, the show) has been eh. In fact that may be its biggest flaw. You're right though, the bounty hunters get the best dialogue. Possibly because they're stereotyped as gritty and living life in the realest sense as opposed to the idealistic Jedi spouting their crap. They really do attempt to make the good and bad senators obvious in a rather sad way.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I thought the dialogue between Obi-Wan and Mace in the last ARC was actually very good. I found the informality and banter refreshing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

We need to keep in mind that TCW episodes are geared for children. They are not going to care about the quality of the dilogue.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

They can continue airing TCW on Cartoon Network and marketing it to kids but after watching dark jedi lop heads off clones and execute each other and leave a bleeding body on the floor for a 5 minute scene with a hole in its head then its no longer a kids show. That's like Lucas saying Star Wars was for children and always was and then having Anakin melt so graphically that the MPAA determined kids shouldn't see it. TCW has transitioned into an adult show with a youth runtime and ideals.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:43 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

TWC isn't really a kids show anymore and there is no way the prequels in SW are for kids. I'm a teenager and I'm not allowed to watch episodes II and III of SW or any TCW episodes with night sisters in it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Well, just because it's a kids' TV show, that doesn't mean standards have to be lax, or that standards necessarily are. I don't think they go into the board-room saying, 'okay, everyone: let's get to work. Don't worry, you don't have to do much. This doesn't have to be Shakespeare, it's just a kiddie show.' I think it's more simply a case of the writers not being at their best (in cases of dialogue. The story itself I feel is definitely written for kids, but layered for us older viewers).
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

*cheers Life*

Exactly. Just because something is a 'children's show' doesn't mean it's time to take it easy. Pixar movies have good dialogue and they're 'children's films' (though anyone at Pixar will tell you they are 'everyone movies'). C. S. Lewis said that calling something a children's story only means that these are the stories that are able to be enjoyed by children, not that they're kiddie exclusive. He also said that a children's story that can't be read and enjoyed by adults isn't a good children's story.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

How is it a kids show? I watched someone execute a clone as a threat, shot him straight in the forehead. The dead body bled on the floor the rest of the scene. It stopped being a children's show a long time ago.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

But then we get weird episodes like "Nomad Droids". Honestly, I don't think this show knows what it wants to be.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Lucas wants it to be a dark, gritty, realistic, kid's show. Its frustrating. I enjoy some of the harder parts of it but its something I can't stand in terms of story. Gungan General, Nomad Droids, nonsense like that feels dumb.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I know. It's so lop-sided. It's one thing for a show to mature, but we're getting kiddy stuff and adult stuff in no real pattern.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Its gotten down to only a couple super-kiddy episodes per season, but if I were a parent I'd be furious. Zombies, confusing episodes like Mortis, messed up ones like the Krell/Umbara thing, its all going to be hard for small children to understand and be anything but scared of. Nightsisters, executions, Jedi traitors, super complex out-of-reality stepping episodes on fate and the Force (Mortis), its too much for kids. So they toss in Jar Jar episodes and Threepio episodes to make it seem more fun, but all it does is frustrate the older people AND the kids its for. They need to pick an audience and alienate the other.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Shhh!!

Lucas will pick the Jar Jar audience. Count on it.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Lucas hasn't done a darn thing right in years. He picked the Jar Jar audience in '99, he has picked them now. Just the fact that episodes like the kiddy ones mentioned exist are the proof that he can't decide, but he can't let go of his mistakes. He'd rather shove them at us and demand that we like them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series

Page 1 of 2