Recommend a good fantasy book
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Recommend a good fantasy book
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

So, I have a little time until the next SW book comes out in paperback. Can anyone recommend a good fantasy book? That does not include vampires.

Thanks in advance.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote  

The Kingkiller Chronicles. Big, heavy books that will consume all your spare time. (there are only two of them right now)

For lighter reading, I'd suggest Heroe's Die by Matthew Stover, or The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett. Both are a bit violent, but have fantasy elements and deep intellectual threads and characterization.

Paul S. Kemp also writes some pretty good fantasy books about Erevis Cale. And I'll also toss out a recommendation for Aaron Allston's Doc Sidhe which combines fantasy with modern day.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well Tolkien and Lewis are always recommended, but I assume you want something new. Of course, if you haven't read LOTR or the Narnia books, do so ASAP.

I don't read adult contemporary fantasy (e.g. Warhammer, Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance) so I can't give any advice on that (except a few to stay away from). However, I do read a fair bit of children's fantasy and many of the classics I read have fantastical elements.

For children's fantasy, I'd recommend "Redwall" and "Guardians of Ga'Hoole". "Akiko" is a children's comic and book series that I also like. The comics are significantly more enjoyable than the novels and you can get them collected in graphic novel form. They don't have a lot of depth, but they're nice light, escapist reads. Great if you're a daydreamer like me.

For the classics, I'd recommend "The Faerie Queene" by Edmund Spenser, the "Divine Comedy" by Dante Alighieri and Paradise Lost by John Milton. All three have Christian overtones (although significantly less noticeable in Spenser, it could be read simply as a fantasy like Narnia), but this is back when Christian art was cool. They're told in verse and they require your full attention, but they're very rewarding reads.

Arthurian legend is also always good. Personally I'd reccomend The Story of King Arthur and His Knights and its sequels by Howard Pyle and le Morte d'Arthur by Thomas Malory (I haven't read this one yet, but it's the closest we get to the "official story").

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I've read the classics and LOTR, as well as, CS Lewis. Le Morte d'Arthur is a very good book. Reepicheep if you like these you may like Beowulf or the Poetic Edda (Norse Myths) or the Prose Edda (again, Norse Myths)

DS I like all the arthurs you mention so, I'll be looking into reading their books.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Voyage of the Jerle Shannara. Its a trilogy and set in a wider universe but its the best place to jump in.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

HEROES DIE.

/topic.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

SidiousThrawn wrote:
I've read the classics and LOTR, as well as, CS Lewis. Le Morte d'Arthur is a very good book. Reepicheep if you like these you may like Beowulf or the Poetic Edda (Norse Myths) or the Prose Edda (again, Norse Myths)

I've been meaning to read Beowulf and some sort of Norse mythology for a while now, but I was never sure what books would be the best for Norse myths. I'll give Poetic Edda and/or Prose Edda a try. Are they the same stories in a different format or are they separate stories?

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Dragon Bones
Dragon Blood

Raven's Shadow
Raven's Strike

And the Rachel Morgan Witch series is pretty cool too.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Reepicheep wrote:
SidiousThrawn wrote:

I've been meaning to read Beowulf and some sort of Norse mythology for a while now, but I was never sure what books would be the best for Norse myths. I'll give Poetic Edda and/or Prose Edda a try. Are they the same stories in a different format or are they separate stories?

They are different stories. When the Norse Myths were put on paper, some of them were written in the form the storytellers told them (poem-easy to remember) however, some of the stories were put into prose form. It is from these two works that JRR Tolken drew some of the inspiration for his characters.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cool. Are one of these the stories where Odin drew his followers for a last stand against the giants and lost?

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Reepicheep wrote:
Cool. Are one of these the stories where Odin drew his followers for a last stand against the giants and lost?

I believe so. It has been awhile since I read them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've been so wanting to read that story.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Thank you folks for the suggestions. I found some of Stover's books that were mentioned and I will be reading them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote  

Reepicheep wrote:

Arthurian legend is also always good. Personally I'd reccomend The Story of King Arthur and His Knights and its sequels by Howard Pyle and le Morte d'Arthur by Thomas Malory (I haven't read this one yet, but it's the closest we get to the "official story").

If you are interested in Arthurian legend you should read the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell (a trilogy). The books take the speculations of scholars that the Arthurian Legend has its origins in oral history records of a real individual and then create a historical fiction story from that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'll give it a try. No guarantees that I'll love it because I like the idealized nature of Arthurian legend, but at the same time I like history too so we'll see. I'll think I'll read le Morte d'Arthur first though, so that I have a good feel for the legend. All I've read is Pyle's first book which I love to death.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 2