RPG's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
RPG's
 PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I've been wanting to do this for a while, and Skyrim resparked that want.

I want to do some of those old school pen-and-paper type RPG's; but I literally know nothing at all of any of them. Can someone explain the basics and/or give me some suggestions for good ones. Even card-based RPG's. Don't even know if those exist, but that's why I need YOU!

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dannik, not to many people do pen and ink rpgs anymore, but there are about a zillion pbp (play by post) rpgs out there in all kinds of variations. Some are as simple as simply writing your post and posting it while others require you to use a post template (I hate those). Some are APC (account per character), while others are APP (account per person). And while the rules can and do vary there are some general ones.

No flaming, trolling or spamming.
No godmodding, powerplaying, metagaming.
No Mary Sues.

It really depends on what you want to play and how you want to play it. There are some RPG directory sites I can put you onto so shoot me a pm if you want more info.

Here's some general info on pbpRPG. http://is.gd/0j5acB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Dannik, not to many people do pen and ink rpgs anymore

I lol'd.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's what happens when I multi-task.

Pen and paper. Razz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:46 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Cerrinea wrote:
And while the rules can and do vary there are some general ones.

No flaming, trolling or spamming.
No godmodding, powerplaying, metagaming.
No Mary Sues.

It really depends on what you want to play and how you want to play it. There are some RPG directory sites I can put you onto so shoot me a pm if you want more info.

Here's some general info on pbpRPG. http://is.gd/0j5acB

What's a Mary Sue?

I know onto many people do them, but I just really want to do it... Retro gaming is something I'm really into, and this is the ultimate retro game Wink All the games that spawned off these, I feel like I should give it a try.

But isn't there dice rolling involved in most of them? Like roll a six to defeat the orc or a 1 to be killed etc? How does that work online?

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You're thinking of table top RPGs. Those use dice. If you google pen and paper rpgs you'll get some resources.

Mary Sue (from wiki)

A Mary Sue (sometimes just Sue), in literary criticism and particularly in fanfiction, is a fictional character with overly idealized and hackneyed mannerisms, lacking noteworthy flaws, and primarily functioning as a wish-fulfilment fantasy for the author or reader. It is generally accepted as a character whose positive aspects overwhelm their other traits until they become one-dimensional. While the label "Mary Sue" itself originates from a parody of this type of character, most characters labelled "Mary Sues" by readers are not intended by authors as such. Male Mary Sues are often dubbed "Gary Stu", "Larry Stu", "Marty Stu", or similar names.

While the term is generally limited to fan-created characters, and its most common usage today occurs within the fan fiction community or in reference to fan fiction, original characters in role-playing games or literary canon are also sometimes criticized as being "Mary Sues" or "canon Sues" if they dominate the spotlight or are too unrealistic or unlikely in other ways. One example of this criticism is Wesley Crusher from Star Trek: The Next Generation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 1