Fate of the Jedi 8: Ascension by Christie Golden
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:20 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Yes it all gets a bit boring.

The only relationship that ever interested me was Han and Leia.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Cerrinea wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:
I thought the release date was pushed forward, not back? From April, to March?

here you go. http://roqoodepot.com/2011/11/16/apocalpyse-is-now-in-march/

Ah. I thought as much. Thanks, Cerrinea.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
There could be lot of ways to continue the EU without couple shipping.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ok, so it's been awhile since this book came out, but I just finished it.

As for the imp knights, they sorta set that up early in the series where Jag tells Jaina she should start a rival Jedi school so that they can be together. It makes sense for it to be Tahiri, but only in the totally annoying way that they HAVE to do it so they might as well do it that way. As for this series and story goes what happened to her seemed to be totally random.

The Good: For FOTJ I think I like Golden better than Alston. The overall quality of writing is good and consistent on this series, where it has felt a little up and down in the past.

The not-so-secondary characters. I couldn't care less about the Big 3. Everyone else finally felt like real characters and not just background props.

I really liked Padnel Ovin and Dorvan.

Jag was the best I can remember him being.

I even liked Lecerson (as a character that is. he's still a scumbag, but I like that he knows and relishes it.) As of Vortex the Conspirators became an interesting part of the story and not just a bunch of James Bond villians.

The Bad: The twists.

The biggest twist was Boba Fett.

This was the first book in a long time where it felt like something actually happened. But as with every book in FOTJ and LOTF I forgot everything that happened immediately after finishing the book. Maybe it's just me.

The Ugly: Bevstra.

That says it all. But actually I got to hand it to Golden for making me simultaneously wanting to see it happen and be disgusted by it.

Ves's flip flopping though was so forced and unbelievable. It was the worst part of the book.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Finally finished it!

Okay, here's my two cents on the book:

Boba Fett:

Vestara/Ben:

Jaina/Jag:

Luke:

Abeloth:

All in all, I enjoyed the book, and I can't wait for Apocalypse. I just hope Denning actually takes the time to finish all the story arcs properly.
“Actually, I don’t quite recall. But I was made, so the existence of my maker is beyond question. And since I consider my existence to be a good thing, he was without a doubt benevolent and forward thinking.”
~Allana Solo and C-3PO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ask the people here. A few have read it. I'm still jealous I don't have time to read it. Soon as I finish Mockingjay, I'm going to give it another go, see if I can get through it. Neutral

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sorry, can't do spoilers before release date, but Mara, you're going to be so sorry you haven't read Ascension come March 13. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

One big problem I have with these 9 book series is that I can never remember what happened in the previous book. From your post, it sounds like that might be a problem. Do you think it would be, Cerrinea?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't want to speak for cerrinea, but I think the idea is that on March 13, when Apocalypse comes out, you're going to wish that you had read Ascension first so that you can read the next book.

I too found the last 17 books, (sheesh? has it really been that many! just proves my point!) to be hard to remember, but I never felt confused when I picked up a new one since they do a pretty good job of filling you in on the few relevant details.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's 20 if we include Dark Nest! I can remember what generally happened in LOTF, but I can't pinpoint what happened in a specific book, since I read them consecutively (though I also read NJO in the same way, yet didn't have that problem, at least with the first half). With this series, I can make an educated guess as to what happened when, because I read them individually (except for Abyss and Allies), but with each book I do need that little bit of exposition reminding me what happened.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote  

When I read Apocalypse, the big time gap from when I last read Ascension was not an issue. However, I did forget that the Horn kids were cured (that happened back in Conviction). That caused a little confusion because I kept expecting them to turn on everyone again. Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I don't want to speak for cerrinea, but I think the idea is that on March 13, when Apocalypse comes out, you're going to wish that you had read Ascension first so that you can read the next book.

Yeah, basically that. Trust me, you're going to want to read Apocalypse and you really need the background of Ascension to do it.

Interesting note here. We're running a contest over on our site where people comment on their favorite FOTJ book. Ascension has gotten a lot of comments in that regard.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I am attempting to read Ascension once more, hopefully this time I can complete it and be ready for March 13. Reading the Hunger Games seems to have jumpstarted me back into a reading mood, so maybe I really will get through it this time. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ascension is my favourite in the series. You should enjoy it, Mara.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I recall it being very good, but for the life of me, I can't remember what happened. Confused

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 16 of 18