Plot Points That Could Have Been

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plot Points That Could Have Been
 PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was watching the bonus disc for the Revenge of the Sith Blu-Ray and apparently Yoda was supposed to whoop Palpatine in the final battle. The idea was that Yoda would kick the crap out of Sidious and be about to finish him off but as he fled a large platoon of clones showed up to defend him and Yoda was forced to flee. The end of the fight would then have been televised throughout the empire as a show of why the Jedi deserved to be exterminated in Palpatine's eyes for his empire and people's safety.

This got me thinking, I've only heard of this one alternate, but it was interesting. Are there more than I've missed about the PT? I know several from the OT but not many for the new films.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'd actually like that change. I would've rather had Yoda win that fight and, if it was televised, it would add more credibility to Palpatine's propoganda.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I think it was more a draw between Sidious and Yoda. Sure Yoda had to do a tactical withdrawal but, they both walked away from the fight.

But, even though he won, Palps could still use a film to show Yoda as the aggressor. Yoda made the first move by knocking out Palp's guards.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

See Lucas's statement about it is that he though since it is called Revenge of the Sith that he shouldn't show two Sith losing in the battle sequence, because then it wouldn't make sense. If he knew anything about subtlety and finesse he could have shown that the true revenge was putting the comfort and arrogance of the Jedi on display and then attacking them with it. Would have made more sense overall.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

See, I thought Lucas did do a good, subtle job of showing the arrogance in the OJO. I didn't need to be hit over the head with it to see it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
See, I thought Lucas did do a good, subtle job of showing the arrogance in the OJO. I didn't need to be hit over the head with it to see it.

It was there, but a lot of it could have been more on display. The Clone troopers turning on the Jedi, the Sith using their arrogance, the only Jedi we really get good looks at are Mace, Obi-Wan, and Yoda, and its not enough to say they were arrogant when you put the three most moral and perfect Jedi on display.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yoda's arrogance is in thinking that telling people the right thing to do is enough without letting them work things out on their own or in their own way. It makes it more tragic to see his wisdom continue to fail in the OT by pushing Luke and the sadness in which he has resigned himself that he cannot teach Jedi because he failed with Anakin.

I think that is much more poignant and subtle than having him lose his cool and beat the crap out of Palpatine on live TV.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Mace reeked of arrogance ever since his first appearence in E1. So, I cheered in E3 when Sidious defeated him. Of course, Anakin is just as arrogant.

But, I didn't see arrogance in Luminara and in some of the others. I guess TCW is supposed to fill in those gaps?

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I found the Council, particularly Yoda and Mace, to be disgustingly arrogant from their first appearance in TPM.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Windu was extremely arrogant.

I agree that the Yoda/Sidious fight was a draw. Yoda felt he lost because he failed to defeat Sidious.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's hard not to be arrogant when your lightsaber says "Bad Mother F***er" on it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Their arrogance was part of the point though, wasn't it?

Little things that point to what Palpatine was telling Anakin. The arrogance of the Jedi Council was but one of the signs of their corruption.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 1