Stop Kony 2012
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stop Kony 2012
 PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Basically, I started this thread about Kony, saying I heard about thin today and wanted to help stop him and stuff, gave the website and said I'd be putting up posters.

Then Vile did that Willy Wonka picture thing, and I got a bit upset, because I thought I was doing something good, but now I was wrong. Admittedly, it was a bit douchy to get all call-to-arms given that I'd just heard about it today, but that's the point, I'd only just heard of it, despite it happening for 26 years.

Anyway, then I got a bit childish and edited this post to "Least Funny Meme's" because I was a bit insulted and upset by the Willy Wonka thing. Then I said "Yeah, seen that one, lol, why should new people support it etc". Then I realised I'm not here to fight, people have different opinions to me and that's fine. We're a community forums, and communities get along Very Happy

Anyhoo, apologies to anyone confused or offended.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

Last edited by DannikJerriko on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

VileZero wrote:

Yeah! I've seen that one; people trying to pretend they care about abused African kids even though they just heard of it. Why should they spread awareness? The people did ask as many people as possible to spread the word to bring a vile warlord to justice, but it still annoys me. Laughing People who only heard about it recently are just vying for attention.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's funny, because this thread used to be about stopping Kony.

For the record, I don't care about Kony one way or the other. If you're super passionate about ENDING HIS REIGN OF TERROR, then good for you. But looking at my Facebook feed, the image I posted would be a correct response to 100% of the people posting anything about him.

So you'll have to excuse my sarcasm. Perhaps you could share more about your passion to overthrow Kony, rather than changing the thread to "Least Funny Memes" and erasing your passionate speech - which, IMO, just proves that you don't really care a whole lot about the issue.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Ok, I'm sorry Vile. I just wanted to help, but apparently I'm a douche.

I'm actually quite upset, but that doesn't matter, I know. I liked Green Day before they were famous, I don't tell people who listen to American Idiot they're not allowed.

I'm still going to do my part, but I'm going to feel guilty about it, thanks.

Look, I don't want to fight, I just wanted to tell people what is happening, I didn't know, now I do. I'm going to help. If I tell other people, they'll help too (well, some of them) and they'll tell other people, and so on.

Truce?

I'll change the thread back.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's all good, my man. And on my end, I'll finally watch this video and see what everyone else has been talking about.

So your outreach here has already influenced one person to learn more. That right there makes it a success.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Some of my journalism buddies have started digging into the group behind that Kony video, and found some interesting stuff worth sharing for those getting swept up in this story. Long story short, it's a pretty shady organization.

http://tumblr.thedailywh.at/post/18909727859/on-kony-2012-i-honestly-wanted-to-stay-as-far

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

http://www.vice.com/read/should-i-donate-money-to-kony-2012-or-not

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Pretty much all the problems associated with Africa are because of western Imperialism. I don't think further meddling with other people's countries is going to help solve their problems, and I find a mass of first world white people calling for the blood of Africans to be in extremely poor taste.

People criticized the US for it's lack of a response to the genocide in Rwanda and Sudan, which is partially the fault of US militarization in the region. You also have the disastrous campaign against Somalia.

Western powers continue to promote or selectively disprove of dictatorships according to their political whims, while suppressing collectivist governments that are disfavorable to western economic policies- policies of the World Bank and WTO that have further impoverished and divided Africa, and all the while continue to fund militarization and import weapons into the region that stir up the conflicts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
People criticized the US for it's lack of a response to the genocide in Rwanda and Sudan, which is partially the fault of US militarization in the region. You also have the disastrous campaign against Somalia.

People complain when the U.S. tries to police the world and they complain when we don't. Its a lose-lose situation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's exactly my point. People need to stop deciding that they know what is best for other people. In the past few years we've seen a surge around the world in populist movements showing that people are capable of self-sufficiency and self-determination, if only they are not held back by outside forces.

I don't know if that is enough to overcome the problems in Africa, but I do know that not letting that happen certainly isn't. The way to forward World Democracy is not to drop bombs on every petty dictator, and a few thousand innocent people as well who are in the way. It's to give people the true freedom to make their own choices and stand by them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:38 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I'd just like to say that I'm not getting all bloodthirsty for Kony. I'm slightly confused about the whole thing; what should, will and can be done, how it can be done etc.. I actually wanted to start this thread as a "what do you think of this" kind of thing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I only have one question: what does Willy Wonka have to do with this? Laughing

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I only have one question: what does Willy Wonka have to do with this? Laughing

LOL I dunno, someone posted it on Facebook and it made me laugh so I stole it. It's part of the Wonka meme, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Caedus_16 wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

People complain when the U.S. tries to police the world and they complain when we don't. Its a lose-lose situation.

Actually, with recent events on the Middle East and North Africa, I haven't heard that many people criticizing the US government's actions*, but rather praising it for its decidedly (on the whole) non-military stance. And the recent military action is looked on positively, since permission and agreements with the necessary powers and councils were sought beforehand. It goes back to the earlier days when the US government would merely send in troops to sort things out. To quote The Bearded One (the other one): there are alternatives to fighting. Although that does raise an interesting dilemma. Years ago, the US government lent aid to the Taliban and al-Qaeda in the form of weaponry, to fight off the Soviets. Now, they're saying that they're willing to send the same aid to Syrian rebels. That's the only instance I can think of that people have been a little iffy about US intervention.

* I have also heard criticism of US troop withdrawal from Afghanistan - which I can understand. In the beginning they went in with a more or less gung-ho policy, and then realised that that's making more enemies than friends, and quickly changed their strategy to one that has more emphasis (than earlier) on winning the hearts and minds front. In a place like Afghanistan, one senior MOD General said, 'that's where the real war is being fought, and where it will be won'. When Obama came into power, that ceased in favour of a quick withdrawal and bombing of high placed targets - often causing a lot of collateral damage, which negated a lot of the hearts
and minds work that took place under the Bush administration.

And here concludes the Outside View Looking In portion of the news Laughing .

As to this business, I had known about the child army thing for a long while - there's often a news documentary on the happenings, there - but I confess I hadn't heard about the Invisible Children thing (and the first thing I did when I heard about it was find out some balancing information about them and retweet it Razz ).
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

As far as I'm concerned, The Father of All Memes:

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 2