Star Wars Podcasts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

IllogicalRogue2 wrote:
I feel ya. I've only listened to maybe 2 WHOLE episodes of The Forcecast due to the same reasons. It quickly became apparent that it would never be MY type of fan's podcast. The saddest thing is that it seems to be endorsed by TOS. Heaven forbid you have anything pro EU to say over there. Or have an issue with GL's 1980's fight against changing original films to then change and "lose the originals" - but don't call GL on it or we might get labeled a hater. Or flat out called names.

I just don't get how that kind of negativity towards other fans can be so popular.

I actually ranted about this topic on Tosche Station a couple episodes ago. A lot of attention is given to the Prequel Bashers (and deservedly so), but the stuff The Forcecast does deserves just as much scorn and it kills me that TOS seems to give them a pass for their behavior. According to them, I'm a GL Hater because I've been critical of a small number of changes to the films and because I've expressed that the character dialog in AotC does little for me. Feel free to express rational, critical thought for any other film, but so help you if you do that to Star Wars.

So yes. I don't have time in my life for podcasts or superfans who think it's their job to evaluate your level of fandom and put derogatory labels on you because you don't agree with their minuscule worldview.

DannikJerriko wrote:
The podcasts I tend to gravitate towards are just the general discussion ones, not reviewing. And you guys just reminded me why I didn't listen to more Forcecasts. If you're going to have a SW podcast nowadays, with no more movies coming out, you can't just shove the EU aside to say "ESB ROCKS YEAHHH" for an hour. Not fun. Just people talking about random EU things and a bit of news about new releases and stuff are what I like.

That's what we do on Tosche Station. A little bit of reviewing, but mostly discussion with a decent amount of Expanded Universe. I have no idea how a Star Wars podcast could talk for an hour about the movies and only the movies every week. I certainly can't.

"You know, on some worlds, it's a felony to wear an ewok as a swimsuit."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

LaneWinree wrote:

DannikJerriko wrote:
The podcasts I tend to gravitate towards are just the general discussion ones, not reviewing. And you guys just reminded me why I didn't listen to more Forcecasts. If you're going to have a SW podcast nowadays, with no more movies coming out, you can't just shove the EU aside to say "ESB ROCKS YEAHHH" for an hour. Not fun. Just people talking about random EU things and a bit of news about new releases and stuff are what I like.

I have no idea how a Star Wars podcast could talk for an hour about the movies and only the movies every week. I certainly can't.

Exactly. BTW, you and Nanci are great on Tosche Station!

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Taral-DLOS wrote:

I also have a subscription on iTunes to EUCast, but it has been curiously inactive Sad

Please keep that subscription. Getting EUCast going again is currently our number one priority.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Old Master Ben wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:

I also have a subscription on iTunes to EUCast, but it has been curiously inactive Sad

Please keep that subscription. Getting EUCast going again is currently our number one priority.

Does this have something to do with the search for a new host? Or is that in addition to?

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:07 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Location: Greeley, Colorado, America, Earth, Sol System, Sector 13-A, Outer Rim, Milky Way Galaxy

I've talked about how the ForceCast needs to show more love to the EU. Which they seem to be doing, two weeks ago they released a roundtable about Darth Plagueis, and had Erich Schoeneweiss from Del Ray as a guest. Sure, there are some problems (Such as Jason's dislike of the EU, and when Kyle Newman does the same thing that Jason does. But, I still love the show, yes there are some things they could do better, But they do a lot of cool things (The interviews and the Clone Wars roundtables for one) And they don't just talk about the films ALL THE TIME. but if it wasn't for them, I might not have even gotten in touch with Dee Bradley Baker.

I also love the EUCast, and The Star Wars Report, and a number of the TOR podcasts.

Got a piece of Chewstim?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:26 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Old Master Ben wrote:

Any chance I'll get to hear Elyse's wonderful voice again on the EUCast?

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I listen to a lot of podcasts. I have a very boring cube job, so listening to podcasts are what helps to keep me sane.

As for Star Wars specific podcasts, I listen to The ForceCast and there Clone Wars Roundtables and We Talk Clones. I used to listen to Star Wars Action News, but the hosts attitude and my waning interest in collecting really pushed me away from the show.

I've had my issues with The ForceCast, but all in all I generally like the show. I do skip the collecting and EU based shows, they just weren't able to grab me.

We Talk Clones has really grown a lot since the first season when I started listening. The hosts and discussions are a lot of fun, and I like to hear different views on the Clone Wars show.

I've had a lot of the same issues as others listed, and more than once I've thought about giving up on Star Wars podcasts all together, but there is usually enough positive stuff to keep my subscriptions.
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote  

Although not a Star Wars podcast, Michael A. Stackpole has a podcast that's kind of interesting. They talk about different subjects. The one I listened to was about eBooks and publishing. One neat thing about the podcast is that it was fairly short, a little over 20 minutes long. They picked a subject, discussed it, and wrapped up. I'm not sure how well that would work for a Star Wars podcast, but it definitely made it easy to listen to.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote  

Lately my podcast rotation has been between Rebel Force Radio, Full of Sith, and Bombad Radio.

Rebel Force Radio is hosted by Jimmy Mac and Jason Swank, they guys who used to do The ForceCast. It's funny, cause when I first started this thread, I didn't really like their podcast, but now I do. I've also grown to enjoy the Jedi Journals podcast (though it only comes out once a month, so a much longer wait).

Full is Sith is a relatively new podcast, but I like the hosts and the topics are usually pretty good. They also have some nice interviews.

Bombad Raido I primarily listen to for the interviews, and I've found they really do a great job at asking questions and getting the authors/actors talking. The hosts also have good chemistry and the topics are always positive.

Star Wars Book Report is also still in my regular lineup, but they've been posting kind of erratically as of late. I also tune into Star Wars Beyond the Films from time to time.

Non-Star Wars, my favorite podcast is Big Pop Fun which is hosted by the guy who played Biff in Back to the Future. Very entertaining and he has some great guests. Mark Hamill and James Arnold Taylor were both on at one point. I highly recommend it.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Old Master Ben wrote:

Any chance I'll get to hear Elyse's wonderful voice again on the EUCast?

Elyse, if she's able to make one of the new show's monthly recordings. But she has been super busy. She always has been unfortunately. While good for her, we miss her voice and opinions on EUCast.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: Planet Spacoid, (if you look it up on facebook, you will find it)

I'm sorry, but what is a podcast? I truly have no idea.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Bane wrote:
I'm sorry, but what is a podcast? I truly have no idea.

Radio show that you get from websites or just basic itunes. They are recorded and generally released free. Some discuss comics (IGN Assemble, iFanboy, etc.) and some movies (Keepin' it Reel) and some even just random stuff (This American Life, Radiolab, Fuzzy Typewriter) but good ones exist for pretty much everything that you would want. I listen to them for reviews on books/comics/movies and such and for news on my favorite fandoms. I also listen to political podcasts (several, I like getting a lot of sides to issues before I make up my own mind) and such. Try a few (the ones I recommended are my favorites...also try The Nerdist). They are fun and kill time if you are driving or working somewhere you can use an iPod.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Because of this thread I have so far checked out the Star Wars Book Report.

I do pick and choose episodes however, because I try to avoid spoilers where I can.

I've been loving the episodes done with Stackpole about the X-Wing books. Great interviews, the guys ask the right questions and Stackpole I could listen to for hours.

When it comes to the EU and podcasts I'm going to have to stick to the pick and choose method, only because I like being surprised. I'm only up to Children of the Jedi.

I did notice an interview with Drew Karpyshan, and I'll wait till I finished the Bane trilogy. Nearly finished Path.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've been looking for lesser known Star Wars podcasts. I've listened to pretty much all the ones on the iTunes store, although I suppose I could have missed a few with less obvious names. It seems most of the ones which discuss the Expanded Universe mostly discuss the recent or imminent EU, rather than the older stuff, although I have found one which discusses Marvel Star Wars which is fun. It's called Two True Freaks, and they put out a TON of hours of podcasting about a lot of different stuff including Star Wars, Star Trek, horror movies, Japanese monster movies, etc. Their Star Wars Monthly Mondays has gone through the entire Marvel catalog and their next episode will be the final issue. After that, I believe they're going to jump around Dark Horse. They've also done an episode on Dark Empire.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote  

I listened to the Ackbar episode of Star Wars In Character. They had Jimmy Mac on as a special host. Absolutely hilarious episode, although it's not safe for work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 3