Hunger Games (Spoilers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote  

Okay, here's a challenge. Name three positive traits Katniss has. Or three things you like about her. I'm interested to hear why people like her...or can like her.

Also, on the deaths of the side characters, I admit that's just a minor gripe. But when combined with the fact that I didn't like Katniss, it became more significant. By the third novel I'm rooting for the side characters. Katniss is a lost hope, so I'm thinking "maybe the others have a chance of getting a happy ending." And I think that's part of the problem. Katniss, the most undeserving of all the characters, gets the happy ending. Just about everyone else gets screwed over. Even Peeta is kind of sad because he's brain damaged. Gale has to live with the thought that he might have been responsible for Prim's death. Katniss' mom loses all her kids pretty much.

So for me, the characters death was something that should have been just a minor gripe, but due to other circumstances, had more impact.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I actually found it realistic that the ones who deserved to live didn't get their happy ending. It could be argued that Katniss didn't exactly get a fairy tale, either. Or, at least, that she didn't see it that way. She seemed rather despondent in the epilogue.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Okay, here's a challenge. Name three positive traits Katniss has.

When you name three positive traits Darth Sidious has... Wink

On a non-Katniss-bashing note, did anyone else catch all the Greco-Roman names in the books? I thought it was a nice touch, fitting into the theme of history repeating itself.

These are the ones I recognize so far:
-Caesar (of course)
-Plutarch
-Cinna
-Cato
-Messala
-Aurelius
-Castor
-Pollux
-Brutus
-Darius
-Octavia
-Flavius
-Seneca
-Titus

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Reepicheep wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:

I'll do it!
1) He's evil
2) He's awesome
3) His lightsaber is freakin' awesome.

I hadn't noticed about the names. I think I was too busy wondering why Peeta was named after bread. I guess his dad was unimaginative.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Reepicheep wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:

Darth Sidious is the main character and hero of Star Wars?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ah, I think I misread that. I thought Skuldren meant three admirable qualities.

Still, you're going to have to do better than that. Razz

Observe:

1) She's cold
2) She's awesome
3) Her bow skills are freakin' awesome.

[Katniss] is the main character and hero of [The Hunger Games].

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:

1) She's cold
2) She's awesome

1 - That made her obnoxious and unbelievable to me, I just couldn't buy her teenage retardedness with her reality and her attitude towards it.

2 - Why is she awesome, she's only awesome if you like her

3- This is the one real trait you listed, but it does nothing for me when I read her character.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Caedus_16 wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

1) She's cold
2) She's awesome

1 - That made her obnoxious and unbelievable to me, I just couldn't buy her teenage retardedness with her reality and her attitude towards it.

I thought it was believable. I figured she shut off her emotions Boba Fett-style to cope with her ever changing, depressing environment.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

1) She's cold
2) She's awesome

I thought it was believable. I figured she shut off her emotions Boba Fett-style to cope with her ever changing, depressing environment.

And yet "Boys boys boys! My pretty burning dress!" I just didn't buy it. Author couldn't make up her mind on who she wanted Katniss to be

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

*slowly backs away* I've said my piece on Katniss. Can we talk about Finnick now? I want to talk about Finnick now. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote  

1. Palpatine showed compassion and selflessness for a cause...the Sith. He helped bring to fruition Bane's long lost goal of conquering the galaxy and the Jeid, even though it was somewhat short lived. While most people, including me, will acknowledge that the Sith are bad, thus supporting their cause isn't in itself an admirable quality, the more abstract effort of supporting a cause still counts. Palpatine didn't have to help the Sith. When his master was dead, he could have done whatever he wanted.

Now you might argue that he only served the Sith so he could get as much power as he wanted (he was definitely power hungry). However, Palpatine took Vader as his apprentice. Why? Why take Vader as an apprentice? He didn't need Vader to do Order 66. He didn't need Vader to become Emperor. He needed Vader to continue the rule of two. If he died, he needed a successor. He also needed someone to keep him on his toes, to keep him sharp, to push him to continue to excel. And if he should grow weak, Vader would be there to kill him, just as proscribed by the rule of two. In that end, I believe Palpatine had a little bit of selflessness that did believe in the Sith teachings.

2. Palpatine was a very gifted speaker. He was able to sway Anaking Skywalker to his side, he was able to mobilize an entire galaxy to turn on the Jedi, and he was able lead an empire without them overthrowing him...until of course ROTJ, but it was a good run. Regardless, Palps had a gift for speeches. (point in case: Darth Plagueis Laughing )

3. Palpatine was also very insightful and perceptive. I remember when we first saw Palpatine and Luke talking with each other on the second Death Star.

Luke: Soon I'll be dead, and you with me.
The Emperor: [laughing] Perhaps you refer to the emminent attack of your rebel fleet? Yes, I assure you, we are quite safe from your friends here.
Luke: Your overconfidence is your weakness.
The Emperor: Your faith in your friends is yours.

And the Emperor was right. That one little line showed the Emperor was quick on his feet and not a dummy. He was very good at spotting weaknesses and opportunities.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Dancelittleewok wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

1) She's cold
2) She's awesome

And yet "Boys boys boys! My pretty burning dress!" I just didn't buy it. Author couldn't make up her mind on who she wanted Katniss to be

But that was only one scene. And it was behind closed doors with Cinna, one of the few people she could trust. It seemed perfectly believable to me. I agree with Dance on this one.

@Skuldren: Fair enough. Wink

Queen Padme Skywalker wrote:
*slowly backs away* I've said my piece on Katniss. Can we talk about Finnick now? I want to talk about Finnick now.

Yeah, I've kind of had enough to. I wouldn't mind talking about other aspects of the book though.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote  

Katniss aside, who was your favorite character? Mine was Peeta. He was easily the most likable, and I emphasized with him to an extent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

its all about cinna Very Happy that dude rocked my world BEFORE he was lenny cravitz haha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Katniss aside, who was your favorite character? Mine was Peeta. He was easily the most likable, and I emphasized with him to an extent.

But that's the thing. I liked Peeta, but he was so perfect. I found it easier to relate to Katniss personally.

*shakes head* Right, Katniss aside. I'll have to say Cinna as well. Actually I went bowling last night and used 'Cinna' as my screen name. Cool

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 2 of 13