Create your own ret-con!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hahaha, that's the best explanation I've heard yet. Laughing

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

What about Padme's home world? In the books, her homeworld (forgot the name but not Naboo) was technologically backwards. They were still using wheeled carts and such.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

SidiousThrawn wrote:
What about Padme's home world? In the books, her homeworld (forgot the name but not Naboo) was technologically backwards. They were still using wheeled carts and such.

I've never heard this before. What books?

And movie canon trumps book canon.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

SidiousThrawn wrote:

Is it possible you're confusing Naboo with Cerea? Cerea was prominently featured in the first six issues of Star Wars: Republic (then simply called "Star Wars"). It had no technology, because the Cereans valued their environment and ecosystem above all else.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Just be glad it wasn't Spielberg: Han wouldn't have shot at all, he'd be holding a walkie-talkie.

Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh, that's so true! I can't believe Spielberg stooped so low. Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mysterion wrote:
Just be glad it wasn't Spielberg: Han wouldn't have shot at all, he'd be holding a walkie-talkie. Smile

No, Han would have flicked the blaster out of Greedo's hand with his whip. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Cerrinea wrote:
Mysterion wrote:
Just be glad it wasn't Spielberg: Han wouldn't have shot at all, he'd be holding a walkie-talkie. Smile

That....would have been awesome.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote  

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:

I get the feeling I've missed something in the pop culture world recently. Confused

Cerrinea wrote:
Mysterion wrote:

I am filing this as a future Halloween costume concept: AHN Han clothes + Fedora + whip. What could be more awesome?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Salaris Vorn wrote:
Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:

I get the feeling I've missed something in the pop culture world recently. Confused

This actually happened several years ago for the 20th anniversary release of the E.T. DVD. Due to controversy over the guns being wielded by the police while chasing the kids near the end of the movie, the guns were digitally replaced by walkie-talkies. It's laughable, really, and I can't believe Spielberg caved to the complaints. And maybe he didn't "cave", but why in the world would he find a problem with it? Nobody really understands. Confused

Edit: He does seem to regret it, though. Or at least that's the impression portrayed in a 2011 interview. He claims he will never again digitally alter any film he has created, and urges people to stick to the original 1982 E.T.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote  

Well at least he regrets it. I also don't see what the problem was. We are talking about different times after all so while maybe it isn't something we would do now in a movie that doesn't mean old movies have to be retconed to meet today's standard (on the other hand someone will get a LOT of employment retconing old movies like Holiday Inn to remove scenes with black face and put in something else if we go down that road).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ok so I've been thinking about a ret-con fanfic for Boba Fett.

-Jaster Mereel is exiled from concord dawn and becomes a mercenary.

-On a job kills a guy named Fett, who unknown to him is Mandalore and I dunno he's a pacifist or something ala` TCW.

-Fett's son Jango tracks down Jaster and shoots him for dead.

-Jaster survives and Jango gets cloned for the clone wars and all that.

-Jaster finds out that Jango has a clone, Boba Fett, and impersonates his identity to get revenge against Jango because no one knows that the real one is only a kid and not an adult clone like all the others.

-Jaster finds out that Jango has been killed so he just goes with it and meets up with Fenn Shysa and the other Mandos per the original Marvel Star Wars.

-The real teen age Boba Fett marries Sintas Vel and after she is pregnant he takes off and changes his name to Spar.

-Fett's daughter Ailyn Vel tracks him down for being a deadbeat dad and beats him dead. In the real retcon she kills Spar the fake clone, but for this one she kills the real Fett as Spar.

-Jaster as Fett seen in the movies, has all his adventures and never knows about the other guy.

-Jaster as Fett falls in the Sarlaac Pitt. Let's retcon that to obiwan's "from a certain point of view" and say that it only happened once, cuz mutliple Sarlaac's is just stupid.

-After escaping the Pitt he has lost his memory and he's all burnt up and his armor is gone. In keeping with the Bounty Hunters War.

-He finds out that he is Boba Fett a clone from the Clone Wars and travels to Kamino to his missing parts replaced. After doing some hocus pocus transplants he accidentally gets memories from the real Fett and his memory is muddled between the two.

- All the rest. And it explains why Sintas doesn't know he isn't the clone Fett because he only gave her half of the heart of fire that only had her memories on it. Thanks Traviss!

Why retcon it? Because clone Fett is stupid. I want the original Fett and his original origin story. The official retcon already has muddled memories and two Boba Fett's, but at least my version allows us to keep all the stories intact from the originals and after Episode two.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Here's a few little retcons I've been tinkering with:

The scene: During Episode III, Mace Windu agrees to place Anakin on the Jedi Council, but does not give him the rank of Master.

Anakin fumes. He is outraged that he is placed on the Council but not given mastership. He says it's never been done in the history of the Jedi Order.

Meanwhile, someone off-screen glances at Ki-Adi-Mundi, thinking "wasn't he appointed as a Knight?"

Likely official story: Lucas did not know/care that Ki-Adi-Mundi was a Knight when he was appointed, having not read Star Wars Vol 2 #1-6 (later called Republic 1-6) or Jedi Council: Acts of War 1-4.

Retcon 1: The case of Ki-Adi-Mundi was that he was due to become a Master in a matter of weeks or even days, but the seat needed to be filled right away (on account of his predecessors' death). For all intents and purposes, Ki-Adi was a Master the whole time, but his Mastership ceremony was held after he was given his post.

Retcon 2 (which I like more): Anakin is an idiot. While Jedi training does include a certain amount of book education, Anakin was never a Temple Baby. He became a Padawan the instant he joined the Order, and thus missed out on nine years' worth of education that all other Jedi take for granted. While he was given the opportunity to continue learning whilst adventuring (hyperspace trips are long; he can read on the way), Anakin was never a book-smart kind of guy. He preferred lightsaber training and pilot training, and as a result fell behind in formal education. So when the time came for him to be appointed to the Jedi Order, there were a few key things that Anakin did not know. He did not know that Jedi could be appointed to the Council as Knights. He did not know that one Master, Ki-Adi-Mundi, was appointed as a Knight. He also did not know that, to become a Master, he needed to have trained at least one Padawan (usually more), and Ahsoka was still an Apprentice (I'm guessing; she's only 17 or so by ROTS. In the end, we don't know what happened to her, and I feel comfortable saying she's not a Knight in ROTS). So he didn't know that he was ineligible for Mastership anyway. Conclusion: Anakin was simply wrong in his "it's never been done" argument.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I prefer retcon #2. Movie Anakin (not TCW Anakin) is unlikely to care about anyone but himself, or people right next to him like Shmi, Padme and Obi Wan (to some extent). I never even really got a vibe between him and 3PO or R2.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 2 of 2