S4 - Episode 21: "Brothers"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Anybody else catch that it was a reference to Gollum leading victims to Shelob and then eating the leftovers from LotR?

I didn't get that, but I thought that Maul's speech and general insanity reminded me of Gollum. His single-minded obsession, his speech mannerisms, etc. Same creep factor as you get during Two Towers.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, I'm not going to spoil the fun for all of y'all liking this, but it didnt do much for me.
The firebreather droids looked cool, though. And that was about all the coolness this episode had to offer me.
Deranged spider-Maul was just ridiculous and didn't look or sound anything like the original. (Sam Witwer is a great actor, but sounds nothing like Peter Serafinowicz).
This is not working for me.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote  

Ah, see, on the voice, I thought Witwer took it in at least three different directions. He does that one line about revenge which sounds exactly like Maul from the films. At other points he uses different tones for the voice to emphasize that Maul it crazy and is in the sway of varying emotions. I thought that worked well. People do change the tone of their voice due to emotions. In the films we only ever heard Maul when he was calm and in control with his master.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Am I the only person who remembers losing body parts can decrease your connection to the Force? Be interesting to see if that happens with Maul.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Am I the only person who remembers losing body parts can decrease your connection to the Force? Be interesting to see if that happens with Maul.

It won't. Consistency doesn't matter, action figure sales do.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Cerrinea wrote:

Okay, I don't really get what one has to do with the other. Not seeing the leap in your logic here.

Besides, I think a spider legs Maul would be pretty cool. You could have it so the spider legs turn into the bionic legs.

Kind of like a transformer. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Cerrinea wrote:

Okay, I don't really get what one has to do with the other. Not seeing the leap in your logic here.

Besides, I think a spider legs Maul would be pretty cool. You could have it so the spider legs turn into the bionic legs.

Kind of like a transformer. Wink

Haha you mistake my frustration with the idea of it all! I thought it looked awesome, but Maul will be as powerful as ever if not more so. It won't be about keeping things canon and going with how its established it'll be. If they did that Maul wouldn't have appeared in the first place and they wouldn't have put tons and tons of effort into justifying and explaining it. No, Maul will be at full power and Obi-Wan will barely be a match for him, much less him and Savage combined. He's more machine than Anakin, but he'll be made to look stronger than Vader. THAT was my main frustration. They need him to appear as awesome as possible, and since they've had to force him in already why not ignore the rest of what's established?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, in all fairness, it didn't look like Anakin's loss of limbs cut down on his Force connection any. So it wouldn't be out of movie canon. I think the only time the issue was raised was in the books, and it was speculation. Obviously Force connection means more than body mass, otherwise Yoda would be the weakest in the Force.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Well, in all fairness, it didn't look like Anakin's loss of limbs cut down on his Force connection any. So it wouldn't be out of movie canon. I think the only time the issue was raised was in the books, and it was speculation. Obviously Force connection means more than body mass, otherwise Yoda would be the weakest in the Force.

Oh I don't doubt, but I think it was done to show why Vader in the old trilogy wasn't as good of a fighter as Anakin had been. Inadvertently they created this line of thought but I doubt they'll follow it. I think Yoda was something special though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Cerrinea wrote:

Oh I don't doubt, but I think it was done to show why Vader in the old trilogy wasn't as good of a fighter as Anakin had been. Inadvertently they created this line of thought but I doubt they'll follow it.

There is a part of Malgus' writing covering a bit of this in the book of Sith. According to that
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Or now I think about it, it could have been in the Bane writings too. I'll have to check Smile

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Question for American fans: is Cartoon Network showing all four season finale episodes as a marathon on Friday?

Teletoon is showing all four, with Revenge airing at 8:30pm, this Friday. w00t!
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I don't know what the airing schedule is. I haven't heard about anything special.

Something I noticed in the episode that could set up an interesting conspiracy theory:

.... I'm kinda trolling here. I did think it was cool that they used that line though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Old Master Ben wrote:
I don't know what the airing schedule is. I haven't heard about anything special.

Something I noticed in the episode that could set up an interesting conspiracy theory:

.... I'm kinda trolling here. I did think it was cool that they used that line though.

I'm really glad you put that you were kinda trolling because I was starting to think you were kinda -- how to put this diplomatically -- insane. Very Happy

And I'm so stealing that theory.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote  

First off, Darth Plagueis personally believed that the loss of limbs did not affect the Force power of an individual.

Secondly, if Maul is the Son, then that means Ventress is the daughter, and in the next episode when they fight, balance will be restored.

Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series

Page 2 of 2