Book Collections
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Collecting View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

The only truly Japanese Star Wars books have been the two mangas that were not sold by Dark Horse (Manga: Silver and Manga: Black).

You can find those on eBay, but check with the seller before you buy. Because they're not distributed by North American companies, they are not all in English. I found a French one not too long ago.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Thanks Taral-DLOS, but I meant the Japanese translations of the novels. I can't read them, but they have cool cover artwork.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Thanks Taral-DLOS, but I meant the Japanese translations of the novels. I can't read them, but they have cool cover artwork.

Ya I'm trying to get ahold of the NJO books with the Japanese covers. They put more effort into displaying EU characters and such with them. Ours were cool, theirs were more cartoonish, but they got more character out of theirs. Plus their Dark Journey books have a Hapan Battle Dragon on the front, and who doesn't love that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

Ya I'm trying to get ahold of the NJO books with the Japanese covers. They put more effort into displaying EU characters and such with them. Ours were cool, theirs were more cartoonish, but they got more character out of theirs. Plus their Dark Journey books have a Hapan Battle Dragon on the front, and who doesn't love that.

Those covers are also hilarious because they are just photoshopped. Isn't the battle dragon a shopped Klignon warbird (or whatever that is called, I don't know Trek)?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

Those covers are also hilarious because they are just photoshopped. Isn't the battle dragon a shopped Klignon warbird (or whatever that is called, I don't know Trek)?

Uh, its giant and round? Lol a warbird looks like a bird. A Battle Dragon is a two level, giant structure with guns all around the perimeter that rotate and spin. I loved finally getting to see one.

And ya, some of the bad photoshopping is hilarious but its worth it to see better shorts of the characters like Saba or Cilghal. Even Anakin got better covers because he was at least visible. Oh and Harrar got a great moment to!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Caedus_16 wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

Uh, its giant and round? Lol a warbird looks like a bird. A Battle Dragon is a two level, giant structure with guns all around the perimeter that rotate and spin. I loved finally getting to see one.

And ya, some of the bad photoshopping is hilarious but its worth it to see better shorts of the characters like Saba or Cilghal. Even Anakin got better covers because he was at least visible. Oh and Harrar got a great moment to!

Yea those look absolutely nothing like Klingon ships.

And regarding terminology, it's called a Klingon Bird of Prey (the little ships). The big ones are just called Battle Cruisers or other such terms. Warbird is used to describe Romulan ships. The new Trek film erroneously used the term for big Klingon ships too, and they admitted their mistake in some of the blu-ray featurettes.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The one I remember was on the cover of Dark Journey, I forgot they were on this one to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote  

Speaking of the Klingon ships and the Hapans...

The Hapan Nova-class cruiser. If they were on a cover, it wouldn't have been wrong.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

That guy third from our right, in between Han and Anakin (I think that's Anakin) looks like an Altmer. Wink

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Speaking of the Klingon ships and the Hapans...

The Hapan Nova-class cruiser. If they were on a cover, it wouldn't have been wrong.

Oh yea! I see it, I suppose Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

ah, I dunno. I thought I read that they used a trek ship somewhere. They did all kinds of crazy things with the spaceships in SW art. There was a poster for I think the first movie where they have like 4 Millenium Falcon's because the artist just saw it and didn't know that it wasn't one of the regular ships they'd have a bunch of.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:19 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
ah, I dunno. I thought I read that they used a trek ship somewhere. They did all kinds of crazy things with the spaceships in SW art. There was a poster for I think the first movie where they have like 4 Millenium Falcon's because the artist just saw it and didn't know that it wasn't one of the regular ships they'd have a bunch of.

Movie posters can be weird. There's a great article on Cracked.com about foreign movie posters (that is to say, posters from other countries about American movies) that totally get it wrong. One for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows made it look like Hermione was coming from a rave. One for District 9 showed a robot army. They're sometimes a bit insane.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:37 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I have all the SW books except Book of the Sith.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote  

@SidiousThrawn: do you have the Galaxy of Fear series? I'm working on collecting those now. That and the Junior Jedi Knights, some of which are ridiculously hard to get.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

No. I stayed away from GOF since it was for kids and I've sold the YJK series since, they did not hold my interest.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Collecting

Page 4 of 5