Comics Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think i'll break down recommendations by publisher. Let's start with Marvel Comics.

They have these collections called the Essentials which are cheap pieces of junk that will disintegrate on you, but they're cheap and the best way to get a bunch of old comics together. All my stuff will be collections so there is no problem finding it.

I'm not so into Cape books. My favorite stuff from Marvel is their horror books.

-Essential Man-Thing. He's Marvel's version of Swamp Thing, the existential crisis of being torn between monster and man. his tagline "Whatever knows fear... burns at the touch of the Man-thing!' It's classic pulp stories, the best ones by Roy Thomas who is famous for his Conan stories.

-Essential Marvel Horror. says it all.

-Essential Tomb of Dracula. Featuring vampire hunter Blade.

-Marvel Zombies. Exactly what the name says. It's from Robert Kirkman the guy who does The Walking Dead. It's great when Galactus comes to devour the world and finds that the Avengers have already started dining on each other!

-The End (various collections). Stories killing off all the major superheroes (but this time not bringing them back as zombies).

My favorite hero is Wolverine, so I'll give more of these then the rest.

-Frank Miller's Wolverine. His books are great, but he's become a racist jerk so don't buy any of his stuff if you can't borrow it from somewhere else.

-Wolverine Origins. Art by Steve Dillon, one of my favorites.

-Wolverine: The Brotherhood. Art by Darrick Robertson, another of my favs, and my fav writer Greg Rucka.

-Wolverine: Old Man Logan.

The Rest.

-Hulk: Planet Hulk. Hulk is kicked off the planet and sent to live with aliens.

-Hulk: World War Hulk. Hulk returns with his alien buddies to get revenge on the Earth.

-X-Men: Age of Apocalypse. An alternate universe X-men story.

-Frank Miller's Daredevil.

-The Punisher: Welcome Back Frank. Dillon again and another favorite writer, Garth Ennis.

-Todd McFarlene's Spider Man.

I don't like Fantastic Four and don't know any newish books for the rest of the Avengers, sorry. I guess just pick up the Essentials or Ultimate versions for those guys.

Ultimate's is an alt. universe made to basically restart over all the main series from the beginning because they'd been running for 40 years and 600 issues by that point.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:09 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Re: Ultimate, there's more to it than that. The Ultimate line was designed to be darker in tone. Death is more common, the politics are there, etc. It's superhero comics in a post-9/11 world.

The Ultimates was one of my favourite books. As is Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk and the Ultimate Galactus Trilogy. And I really enjoyed the Ultimate X-Men books (though I haven't read Ultimatum yet).

I should warn about the Essential books. I love them, but they're not for everyone. They are in black-and-white, designed to keep the costs down. And they haven't aged well (politics, the way people act, etc.) But they are a lot of fun, if you're into that kind of thing. I love the old-style, and so the campy stories are just fun for me Smile But don't pick up Essential Amazing Spider-Man Volume 1 because you "want to start from the beginning." That's dumb. You won't like it. Buy Essential Amazing Spider-Man Volume 1 because you like old-school comics like that.

DC has a similar line, called Showcase Presents. They only go as far back as the Silver Age (1960s), whereas most of their good heroes started well before that (Batman and Superman both started inthe 1930s). So you get "Showcase Presents: Batman Volume 1" that starts with issue hundred-and-something.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Good points there T-D and thanks for offering that clarifying info.

As I said I speak from my experience as a non-superhero fan, so it's limited and I tried to offer books that are more eccentric than what you might typically find there, and also self-contained stories.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Caedus_16 wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
I feel like someone could vomit on a canvas, say "That's how the world looks to me" and it would be considered fine art.

There's actually an artist who swallows paint, vomits it on a canvas, and sells it for in the tens of thousands. This world's art community has gone to crap.

The visuals for Watchmen were beautiful, and the visuals for Y: The Last Man are similar in style. The Umbrella Academy is a different style, but again I think its one that works really well with the story.

"This World's art community has gone to crap" as an artist I can say that's not fair to the community as a whole. Sure some folks slop anything together and call it art (these people are called modern artists). There are many of us who still paint in the style and traditions of the old masters like Rubens and Rembrandt.

But, back to comics...I've always like THOR.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

SidiousThrawn wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
I feel like someone could vomit on a canvas, say "That's how the world looks to me" and it would be considered fine art.

There's actually an artist who swallows paint, vomits it on a canvas, and sells it for in the tens of thousands. This world's art community has gone to crap.

The visuals for Watchmen were beautiful, and the visuals for Y: The Last Man are similar in style. The Umbrella Academy is a different style, but again I think its one that works really well with the story.

"This World's art community has gone to crap" as an artist I can say that's not fair to the community as a whole. Sure some folks slop anything together and call it art (these people are called modern artists). There are many of us who still paint in the style and traditions of the old masters like Rubens and Rembrandt.

But, back to comics...I've always like THOR.

I applaud people who still hold onto classic styles that take real talent. Sadly, they are diminishing in number.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

@Sidious, Thor was one of the first comics I really got into. I was looking at the B&W Essential books at Chapters, and the only Volume 1 they had was Thor. It collected the old Journey Into Mystery books that he originated in. SO GOOD. I'm reading Volume 2 right now, and it's a lot of fun. Loki, The Absorbing Man, The Destroyer, Hercules, etc. Good times.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I could spend all day reading THOR. Those comics are awesome!!

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

A new adult comic has hit the shelves in the last month, and I gotta say you some of you with a more twisted side might like it.

Its called The Manhattan Projects and offers an alternate history. Robert Oppenheimer, Richard Feynman, even Einstein are all characters. It is a lot darker than I would have originally guessed, with Oppenheimer leading the pack for terrible secrets in the first issue but Einstein displays that there is something either huge to him or something dangerous and I can't be sure, but issue 4 has been previewed and apparently its all about him so I'm excited. Those of you who are into more "off the beaten path" comics (comics NOT about superheroes) may enjoy this, and I'm excited to have this happening and would love to have other people be excited with me Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Because my library didn't have the early issues of Y: The Last Man, I decided to read some Batman graphic novels instead. I love the movies, but I don't know the story outside of them very much. The first one I picked up was The Killing Joke, because I've heard that it's one of the best. Here's what I thought:

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Dude, you might have missed a line in the book. The backstory they provided was not necessarily correct (and isn't canon).

"...if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

If you're reading Batman stuff, I recommend the Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale books. Most notably The Long Halloween and its sequel, Dark Victory. There's also Haunted Knight, which is a collection of one-off stories. These aren't canon, but they're good reads. The Long Halloween is the book that inspired The Dark Knight.

They also follow almost immediately from Batman: Year One by Frank Miller, which is really good too. Year One was the story that inspired the movie Batman Begins.

I also recommend The Dark Knight Returns, which was really fun. By Frank Miller; its style reminded me a bit of Alan Moore's Watchmen (indeed, Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns are both considered to represent the transition point from the Bronze Age of Comics to the Modern Age).

I picked up the new big TPB of Batman: Knightfall Vol 1 (the story that introduced Bane and will likely be the basis for The Dark Knight Rises). Can't wait to read it!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:

I picked up the new big TPB of Batman: Knightfall Vol 1 (the story that introduced Bane and will likely be the basis for The Dark Knight Rises). Can't wait to read it!

I really want to grab those three volumes. They look soooo good!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Reep: The ending was perhaps the most brilliant part because of the ambiguity of it and the revelation that they're both pretty much insane for the same reasons, but they reacted different ways.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Reep

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 2 of 5