Riptide by Paul S. Kemp
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Kemp's explanation isn't original. The Jedi all used Force embued crystals. Ilum's crystals were naturally embued with the Force.

I've never heard of the Force crystal having an alignment, though (aside from KOTOR 2).

I suppose Kemp's explanation makes sense if you accept the imbuing a crystal concept. I'm a fan of the more mythological and mystical SW stories, but I've just always thought of the lightsaber as a secular tool, but I can live with it being more mystical.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote  

Well if we look at the issue another way, Kemp had an antagonist who needed to be able to cut people off from the Force. Of course a Jedi can still be pretty deadly if they have a lightsaber, so to make them even more threatening, they can cut off lightsabers too. So he added plot points that would allow his villain to do both: neutralize the Force and lightsabers.

From that viewpoint, it would make sense to link the Force and lightsaber crystals together in order to make it work. Kemp probably tossed the idea to Leland Chee and they formed an idea they thought would work.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

-YOU REBEL SCUM!
-Through victory my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Haven't read the book, but the idea of Force defusing a lightsaber is interesting. Seems like there could be many explanations that work fine.

Non-force users and lightsabers:

-The Force may be required to construct them. This is pretty much assumed to be the case in the EU.

-No one else knows how to build them except for Jedi and Sith.

-The only way to get one would be from a Jedi or Sith, so that's why no one has them except the few who took them from Jedi, like Grievous.

-The Force is not required to simply use them (such as for chopping open Tauntaun bellies), but it is to use them in an effective capacity, such as deflecting blaster bolts.

- A Jedi might employ a "tamper proof" mechanism inside the lightsaber that can only be activated through Force use in order to turn it on (like how they use it to lock and unlock their ships). Or else just have a button that anyone can use, making it an "open use" tool.

Force defusing a lightsaber:

-Using a Force technique to stop the user from activating the lightsaber; either through mind and emotion, or actually physically stopping them from pressing the button.

-Using a Force technique or Force imbued crystal to stop the mechanical operation of the lightsaber itself, or disrupt the energy field of the blade.

-A Force imbued crystal may require it's Force ability as part of it's function as a lightsaber crystal. Using a Force technique to subdue the Force ability of the crystal makes it no loner "work" to generate a lightsaber energy blade.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:43 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Yes I agree although the way the book is written the Jedi and Clones can't use the Lightsabers even after their connection to the Force is blocked. The book says the crystal works on the Force basically and from what I have always read, that isn't so. Yes some Lightsabers may, but with all the characters with Lightsabers in the book you have to know that not all of them have those Force powered Lightsabers or "Special Sabers" if you will.

-YOU REBEL SCUM!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's too bad and looks like we have a real plot hole there. It's a cool idea, but it just doesn't fit with the way SW "works".

I guess I need to read this one, but I had mixed feelings about Crosscurrent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote  

Well, you could argue that the Umbaran twin's power in this case was unique in the way it affects the Force. We've never seen this particular power before, thus it doesn't conflict with any pre-existing canon. There power simply had the ability to prevent use of the Force, including the disruption of lightsaber crystals.

It's either something that bothers you or it doesn't it. I'm fine with it.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Well, you could argue that the Umbaran twin's power in this case was unique in the way it affects the Force. We've never seen this particular power before, thus it doesn't conflict with any pre-existing canon. There power simply had the ability to prevent use of the Force, including the disruption of lightsaber crystals.

It's either something that bothers you or it doesn't it. I'm fine with it.

Yes, but the Lightsabers should still work regardless unless the power has the same effect on Lightsabers as the lights in the book shorting out. Like I said, Kemp writes this as so but then contradicts this by writing it as a Force issue also. Still a mess. Not to argue with you. You do have a good point, but I think Kemp should have left it with the technical issue otherwise there needs to be a retcon saying that ALL Lightsabers are powered by the Force. I wouldn't like that, and would be a contradiction to what we have always known. Yes some Lightsabers are powered by the Force, but not often.

This no where near bothers me as bad as TCW show though lol.

-YOU REBEL SCUM!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ok, so I just finished this book. a lot of thoughts, but I want to go back to the lightsabers thing I was talking about before.

It could very well be that all lightsaber crystals are "attuned" to the force and it just has never bothered to have been pointed out before because nothing else but Nyss was able to effect them that way. I don't like that explanation, it's sloppy, but it works.

A better thought: Are any of the lightsabers that we see NOT Jadens? Marr's is, Soldier's is too. But Jaden's is Alphas and did Hunter or whoever have one?

A little complicated, but I think it works better.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

But if all lightsaber crystals are attuned to the Force, how does Anakin Solo's lambent one work, since the Yuuzhan Vong are outside of the Force?

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think it was because the Vong were still part of the Unifying Force, just not the Living Force. Or else it's just some bogus psychic power that he got from the Vong. Take your pick. Either way it still doesn't make sense with the lightsabers, which is why I think my second theory is better.

But I put it in spoilers because it is based on crucial plot details so you might not want to read it if you haven't read the book yet.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Your theory does make a lot of sense.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 7 of 7