Quote or Question for the Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

That it's a collection of books, comics and games telling stories set in the Star Wars galaxy that, by and large, fit under a single universe*.

* I use the word universe instead of continuity because the word 'universe' is more likely to be understood to mean that there is a single-line continuity in place, rather than a multiverse, since that's often the term I hear comics spoken in/of/with/about.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

What's 4G? Embarassed

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Four gigabyte, I think.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

No, it's something else. It refers to the fourth generation of wireless technology, I think. There's probably some technical specifications. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote  

"I believe in justice, as long as I'm holding a knife at the throat of the judge." -Caine

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I heard someone say that our current bout of warm weather is due to the recent solar flare. Is this true?

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Not really, no. It heats up the atmosphere, but not in a great way.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh, okay. I was wondering.

Question: Is it bad that I'm more interested in (esp. pre-16th century) history than current events?

I was talking about it today and I think the reason is my strong dislike for being fooled with. Politicians, PR people, journalists etc. will all attempt to mislead you. Historians can be mistaken, of course, but very few will attempt to intentionally mislead you.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote  

Reepicheep wrote:
Oh, okay. I was wondering.

Question: Is it bad that I'm more interested in (esp. pre-16th century) history than current events?

I was talking about it today and I think the reason is my strong dislike for being fooled with. Politicians, PR people, journalists etc. will all attempt to mislead you. Historians can be mistaken, of course, but very few will attempt to intentionally mislead you.

Yet the sticky wicket here is that the historical documents they are based on have a particular agenda in many cases. And of course every scholar is writing with their own particular agenda (not 1984 rewriting history but choices of words of how you portray the various sides in the event, what aspects you elect to emphasize and which you downplay etc.).

Not that I'm saying history is all biased and trying to trick you or not worth reading. Just observing that every author has an agenda. They aren't trying to mislead you but they are trying to direct you to certain conclusions (not normally in a malicious way although that might sometimes happen).

So I wouldn't say it is bad that you enjoy history more than current events. But to assume that texts become objective and/or lack an agenda due to reporting on things in the past would be a mistaken assumption.

(for context Reep I'm writing my thesis on how interpretations of battlefields reflects the time and goals in which the interpretation is written. So I don't mean to pick on you, I've just been working on this stuff since the spring semester started).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

True, true. I think there's still significantly less intentional misleading by historians though. I mean, a historian's goal is to shed light on the past, not obscure it. A politician's goal should be to take care of their country and its population, but I get the sense that more politicians are after their own agenda and are more willing to obscure the truth than historians are.

For example, Historian A might believe that the island of Thira is the basis for the legend of Atlantis and Historian B does not. Both will try to find evidence that will support their theories, but neither are trying to mess with me. They honestly think their theories are right and they're trying to prove it. If their theory is wrong, they might still mislead me but not intentionally.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Anyone know if I get get emails on a Hotmail account to be automatically forwarded to a gmail account.

Basically I just set up a Minecraft account, but I already had one active with my gmail account, but I forgot the password. I didn't really like the username and couldn't be bothered changing the password, so I set up a new account with my parents email address. So can I get the emails to land in my parents hotmail and bounce into my gmail?

TIA

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote  

I read this in a Drew Struzan interview, had to share.

Quote:
Who did you model Mara Jade's appearance after?

My house cleaner. Inspiration is 90% availability and 10% creativity.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I read this in a Drew Struzan interview, had to share.

Quote:
Who did you model Mara Jade's appearance after?

My house cleaner. Inspiration is 90% availability and 10% creativity.

Interesting. I would have thought the appearence was influenced by the actress in the movie Red Sonya. A great movie by the way.

You learn something new everyday.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I need a biased website or online article for an assignment. Anyone know a good one?

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

"Rather fail with honour than succeed by fraud." - Sophocles

This has been one of my favourite quotes for a while now, but I never knew who said it. I just saw it on Twitter.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 19 of 27