Star Wars: The Clone Wars Movie Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to see it tomorrow, being out of town and everything, and figured I might as well read the book. Didn't feel like waiting! Plus, I'm guessing it'll be a totally different experience to watch it. Since it wasn't like a totally important plot deal going on (such as the revelation of Luke's father), I'm not too worried about it. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Son Of Skywalker wrote:
Have you read the novel? Those cracks may seem stupid at the time in the TV spots and commercials, but hearing them in the scene make her much more enjoyable.

I wish that were so, but it wasn't. At least for me.

The most irritating thing about Ashoka is the high-pitched, petulant, North American accent. Perhaps that's how the character was conceived and the voice was properly cast. Maybe it doesn't bother North Americans, who make up the largest part of the target audience. For myself, I would have preferred an accented voice - Spanish, Arab, Hindi, or Thai, for example, or even a cleverly conceived pidgin.

The only other absolutely annoying aspect of the film was the robot humor, which takes the sting and venom out of what should be an implacable enemy.

Otherwise, I thought it was a great Star Wars movie! Anakin comes across as a far more sympathetic character than in the prequels, there are a few small moments of human warmth, the humor is mostly delicious (especially Ziro), there are nods to the EU, plenty of action, and lovely animation. The story was a bit weak, but I suppose that is to be expected in a continuing series.

Two things struck me about my reaction to the movie. After reading fairly negative reactions, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. And I was also surprised at how much sympathy I felt for the Republic's cannon fodder. It seems Traviss' Commando novels have forever colored my view of the clones.

If men were born free, they would, so long as they remained free, form no conception of good and evil. - Baruch Spinoza

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ah, see what I mean? You just can't help but have a special place in your heart for the Clones. Not after reading Traviss' books, anyway. Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

My review
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Here's what I thought of the movie. For the action, I thought it was great! The sounds, lights, and fights were intense and seemed like a war. But some of the characters annoyed me. Anakin seemed really out of character, mainly because he takes on this apprentice and really starts to like her. I can never see Anakin willingly coming to like an apprentice, especially one that calls him "Sky-guy". Snips and R2ie were the other nicknames that I didn't get (snips) and was a longer name than before (R2ie). And if you've seen the movie Doogal, you should know that movie was nothing but joke and cliche one right after the other; Clone Wars did something very similar. At times, I dreaded hearing dialogue because of this behavior.

Overall, I guess the movie is okay, especially the action, but I was hoping for something different. I'll check out the series and see if it's any different but I expect it to be very similar to this movie.

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm a huge fan of The Clone Wars! I think a lot of reviewers were expecting way too much. If this had been episode 7, yeah, I'd be dissappointed. Unlike a lot of reviewers, I went in expecting a long TV episode and that's basically what I got. I think it is just what it tries to be: a Star Wars cartoon. I liked most of the new characters. Ahsoka (in my opinion) was really good. She's easy to relate to and I almost saw as the protaganist. General Loathsom was interesting. Asajj Ventress wasn't very original and Ziro really annoyed me. Captain Rex was pretty good. I would have liked to see more of Cody, but I'm sure we will in the TV show. The battles were very well thought out and I always knew what was going on. It way more than tops the irritating Cartoon Network Clone Wars. I actually liked the theme song better than the original. The look is pure eye candy, as well. Although not as good as good as, say, Prince Caspian, it's still a great, fun movie.
"Begun The Clone Wars have..."

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Last edited by Reepicheep on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Reepicheep wrote:
Although not as good as good as, say, Prince Caspian...

You would say that. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Wouldn't I Wink

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Hey, I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but the Republic admiral is called Admiral YULARIN. Does this guy have anything to do with Colonel YULAREN, the COMPNOR representative assigned to the first Death Star in Episode IV? (He's the one seated at the conference table in a white uniform, he has white hair and a moustache.) I dunno, maybe they're meant to be related but there was a misspelling or something? Anyone know?

Also, in general, I have to say I love the film, it was great, but what really annoyed me (apart from 'R2ie' Confused) was when Anakin called the Republic Venator-class Star Destroyer (as they escaped from Teth) BUT referred to it as 'Jedi cruiser'. Huh? Since when is a Republic Navy cruiser exclusively Jedi? That just irked me cos it came out of nowhere, and now the kids might start calling it by this different, wrong name.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Wow, you notice the details. Well that didn't even occur to me, but I think I'll check it out to see.

Edit: Well according to Wookiee, you're correct. It's a misspelling and it's the same guy. Here's an excerpt:

Wullf Yularen was a male Human who served the Galactic Republic as an admiral in the Republic Navy, and the Galactic Empire as a colonel in the Imperial Security Bureau.

While serving as an admiral during the Clone Wars, he commanded his fleet from the Venator-class Star Destroyer Spirit of the Republic. He would also operate onboard the Resolute, during the Battle of Christophsis in 22 BBY, in which he was unable to provide support for Jedi Generals Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi. Later, he led his fleet into the Battle of Teth from the Spirit of the Republic.

Sometime following the creation of the Empire in 19 BBY, Yularen became a colonel in the Imperial Security Bureau. He would be stationed onboard the Death Star I, where he was tasked with maintaining loyalty to the Empire and briefing Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin. He was killed when the Death Star was destroyed at the Battle of Yavin by Luke Skywalker, the son of Yularen's former Jedi commander-turned-Dark Lord of the Sith.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Everytime I see Episode IV and I see Yularen, I always thought it would be neat to have a back story for him. He looks so mysterious. I was hopping for something more original, though.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Hey, thanks for the research! Nice job, Mara.
Well, Reepicheep, I can see where you're coming from, but on the other hand I'm just glad they actually found a way to tie The Clone Wars into the Second Trilogy, I mean, they could have just come up with a new guyif they'd wanted, after all.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quote  

Stang. I could have sworn I mentioned this somewhere, oh well. Yularen is indeed the white haired guy at the table with Vader on the Deathstar.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for supplying the pictures, Darth Skuldren, even if you have mentioned it before. I don't think I ever took the time to learn that guy's name and now I do. Smile

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

You're welcome for the research. No problem, you had me curious. Smile

I never knew his name either. But you learn something new every day!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Is it just me or did TCW have a very short theatrical run? Prince Caspian was around long enough for me to see it 4 times, and I didn't even have time to vaguely consider seeing TCW twice.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series

Page 4 of 6