General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't mind it taking a darker tone. The show has evolved with its audience, I believe. People who were 8-10 in 2008 are now 12-14, and can deal with more mature content. And it's the episodes that intentionally pander to younger audiences that get the most flak (like the two Droid-centric eps this past season).

I think it's a common problem that long-running shows have, where they feel the need to add new characters to appeal to markets they lost, but in doing so alienate the viewers that stayed on. Characters like Olivia from The Cosby Show, or Cousin Oliver from The Brady Bunch, served only to attract people who like the young-kid humor. But in doing so, they alienated the people who started watching when Rudy (Cosby Show) or the youngest Brady kids were children and had the pleasure of watching those kids grow up. We all grew past young-kid-centric stories, so adding a completely new character to tackle those was terrible.

The Clone Wars may be falling into that trap. We're seeing Ahsoka grow into her own. She's becoming a skilled Jedi, and a beautiful young woman. We're seeing stories that are darker; after all, we're getting closer to Episode III. There is only one upbeat way to end this series and that's if Ahsoka survives Order 66 (and I'm not sure they'll do that). So I don't like it when there are episodes centered directly at significantly younger audiences, just 'cuz. If there's a good reason for the episode, and it happens to be friendlier and warmer, then by all means. But they shouldn't pander to all demographics.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

PG-13 may be fine for Star Wars, (or R depending on how you feel about Death Troopers), but I don't think it's appropriate for Cartoon Network. When it comes down to buying DVD's we can make the choice for what we want, but I think people have an expectation that CN shows are going to be OK for younger children to watch.

They just have to step it up to make a show that is engaging to older kids and adults without adding realistic violence. I think the original animated Clone Wars did a good job of that.

The folks at Lucas Studios know that there are a lot of fans that grew up on SW and the EU is mostly for them. I think it is the place for those 12years and older stories and potentially adult ones. (I'd like to see more of that since I'm not 12.) On the other hand TCW is generally for the under 12 group, and I'm Ok with that. You can't and shouldn't have it all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:08 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I guess I look at things like this a bit differently cause of my family. My family (including me) is Christian so they are very strict on things like this. I'm almost 14 and my parents won't let me watch so TCW episodes if they think that thy are inappropriate. The night sisters trilogy, Massacre and the season 4 finale I'm not allowed to warn because of the content (most of them I watched once then wasn't allowed to watch anymore).
My parents have strong opinions on what is appropriate or not. When I play video games I am never allowed to create a character on the dark or bad side, or make dark choices in the game.
Because of this I guess I see things in a bit of a different view to most others.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote  

Cerrinea and I did an interview with The Clone Wars voice actor James Arnold Taylor (voice of Obi-Wan Kenobi). We turned it into a youtube video. Figured I'd share it with everyone. James done some voices in the interview which was pretty fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Rz9rkM0SYFE

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Great interview! Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote  

Thanks! That was the first time I've ever made a youtube video.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Well, you can't tell! It looks to be very well made Smile .
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote  

On September 11, Target stores will be selling a special 88 minute feature film of the last 4 episodes of Season 4. The director's cut of these episodes will make them one long film. It's being called Darth Maul Returns. It'll only be $10, too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
On September 11, Target stores will be selling a special 88 minute feature film of the last 4 episodes of Season 4. The director's cut of these episodes will make them one long film. It's being called Darth Maul Returns. It'll only be $10, too.

Now that might be interesting. It is kinda short though...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:34 am Reply with quote  

I'm thinking about getting it. I'm curious how the episodes would look when they're edited together to form a film. It would be almost an hour and a half long. Plus I've never bought any of the seasons, so it's not like I'd be wasting my money on buying multiple copies of the episodes, so in my case it's viable.

Question for anyone who has bought full seasons of TCW: Is there anyway that you can watch them back to back conveniently or is it a bit of a hassle trying to watch a whole season on disc?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I don't know how much of a hassle it is. There's 5 to 8 episodes per disc, if I recall correctly, depending on the format and season. But I watched them in an old chronological order last time after season 3 came out, so getting up to switch out discs happened a lot, so nothing seems inconvenient to me. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I haven't bought any seasons, just rented them from the library, but it is pretty easy to go from episode to episode. The only hassle is getting up to change discs.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:

Now that might be interesting. It is kinda short though...

It's no different than those Season 1 sets they released awhile back. "A Galaxy Divided" had the first four episodes of S1, and "Clone Commandos" had Rookies and the Ryloth trilogy. They were about 20$ each, if memory serves.

I didn't buy any of them, because I knew that I'd buy the whole season.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:27 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

The Clone Wars did what the prequels could not. The Clone Wars made me care about Anakin Skywalker. In the prequels, I didn't care for Anakin. I wanted to send him to his room. The Clone Wars changed that by allowing him to grow up alongside Obi-Wan Kenobi and Ahsoka Tano. Giving him an apprentice is genius. Anakin will have to pass on the lessons he's learned (and a few he's ignored) - or else Ahsoka will suffer or die. As a teacher, Anakin can understand and empathize with Kenobi more. He'll have to be responsible. That can only help their relationship. Unlike the EU, the Clone Wars has an even cast. There are plenty of main and secondary characters to keep the story exciting, allowing for minor characters to share the spotlight from time to time. "Rookiees" really illustrates that. Although there are somethings I didn't like about it, I'm glad I gave the series a fourth chance. Perhaps the fandom can too.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Dancelittleewok wrote:
The Clone Wars did what the prequels could not. The Clone Wars made me care about Anakin Skywalker. In the prequels, I didn't care for Anakin. I wanted to send him to his room.

Very good point. I have liked his character a lot more in TCW. They should just CGI him in to the PT when they make those Special Editions. Wink Actually I can handle Jake in 1 and Hayden in 3. But Hayden in 2 was one of the worst performances and worst lines written of all time, IMO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series

Page 2 of 3