Dave Filoni Interview covering Season 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Filoni Interview covering Season 4
 PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote  

IGN did a really nice interview with Dave Filoni that covers a range of topics for Season 4. Dave talks about the Simon Pegg controversy with some very nice comments on fans and fandom. he also talks about George and his role with Maul as well as a new involvement in continuity and canon with the books and comics.

It's also a long interview.

Here's the link: http://tv.ign.com/articles/122/1221285p1.html

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

A great interview. You can tell that he wanted to say things that he couldn't though. The part where he discusses with Lucas the idea to bring back Maul is very obvious about this. He says that sometimes George jokes around with them over storylines and this time he was serious, but everyone thought he was joking because it was such a stupid idea.

They also refuse to acknowledge fan response at all. No matter how entertaining the episodes may be, it was still a horribly stupid idea. Even his acknowledgement of prior material was nice, but it was also layered with a bit of "Our's is more important". He gave it away when talking about Ventress and her prior stories then gave a jump into talking about the things they're doing differently, but still acknowledging that they're trying to squeeze it all into canon. Some of it seems like annoyance with Lucas in the writing process, but you can tell he really cares about the show and won't give any hint to that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Since EII is coming out in 3-D next year, I wonder if we'll see a multi-episode story centered around Yoda. A duel or encounter in TCW between Yoda and Dooku would tie the movie and the show together.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've been wanting to see more Yoda on the show.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:42 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Yoda and Mace could use a few episodes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have a feeling they plan to use some of the characters, that had only minor screen time thus far. Like Quinlan Vos and Republic commandos.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hogy wrote:
I have a feeling they plan to use some of the characters, that had only minor screen time thus far. Like Quinlan Vos and Republic commandos.
... and then kill them.

This says it all:

Quote:
"Well Henry (Gilroy) worked on the show, these are Clone Wars (comics) stories. Why don't we just give Henry a shot at adapting these for actual use on the show?" So the dilemma for me creatively was that Henry had written those stories at the beginning of the Clone War. And now I've made this bold promise to the fans that we're only ever going to move ahead in continuity, and I think that is frankly the right thing to do, personally. I think that people can follow the story as much as they can if it's more told in a straightforward fashion. I called [Henry] and said, "We really want to do this, but let's bring Ahsoka up to age. And this is what's been going on with her."

Ready, Aim, Fire!, one canon story destroyed.

Quote:
But by that point, a lot of people didn't know, and Henry certainly didn't at that point, that Ventress had left Dooku –that she had been thrown out. Ventress was in the original story in the comic book and working for the Separatists, so she obviously couldn't do that, so we had to rearrange that.

Reload, Fire again! Another one down!

Quote:
I think it really clearly illustrates the difference between the EU material and what makes it up on the screen as George wants it (read: ignores EU stories). Which is that in the end, the comic books are a great place for ideas and creativity by many, many really talented artists and writers (read: ignore them). But when George is gonna bring it into his universe, a lot of times it's going to need tweaks (read: ignore everything else).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Clone Wars copmics don't mean much to me, but I don't see why they couldn't have placed the story earlier in continuity.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't care about the CW comics, or the show for that matter, but it's the way that they handled it. It's not even that I care so much about the EU that I think everything else should follow it.

It's how little Lucas and Filoni care about it that is an insult to the writers that put their time and effort into making the stories and that they apparently mean nothing more than a cheap idea for the TCW to use if their writers are feeling lazy.

It's very simple to keep everything in continuity: if there is an idea that goes against the established continuity, whatever form it takes be it EU, TCW, etc... then don't do it! problem solved.

If they liked the way Henry Gilroy writes Clone Wars stories then have him write a new one for the show and "go forward in continuity". There's no need to ruin his other stories and have them now not make sense with the others.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

DPW I agree with you. That's a kick in the pants to all the folks who work on the comics as well as the fans.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series

Page 1 of 1