Log in to check your private messages
Hunger Games (Spoilers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Queen Padmè Skywalker
Master
Master

Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 5128
Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Reepicheep wrote:

My sister is well into The Hunger Games now and she agrees with me that it's better than Harry Potter. Razz


Reep, buddy......I think our friendship has come to an end. Wink
_________________
All things die, Anakin Skywalker, even stars burn out.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.



Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Cerrinea
Master
Master

Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 1491

Actually, I might put Hunger Games up there with Harry Potter, although it's a little bit like apples and oranges. But I don't think it needs to be an either/or choice. What's wrong with liking them both equally?
_________________
Roqoo Depot co-founder.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Caedus_16
Master
Master

Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 4768
Location: Korriban

Cerrinea wrote:
Actually, I might put Hunger Games up there with Harry Potter, although it's a little bit like apples and oranges. But I don't think it needs to be an either/or choice. What's wrong with liking them both equally?


Exactly, and I think we can all agree that they are better than so much other young adult fiction available out there today.
_________________
Perfection is a lifelong pursuit requiring sacrifice. The only way to get it quicker is to sacrifice the most.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote  
Message
  DannikJerriko
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Joined: 09 Nov 2011
Posts: 1204
Location: Nirn

Caedus_16 wrote:
Cerrinea wrote:
Actually, I might put Hunger Games up there with Harry Potter, although it's a little bit like apples and oranges. But I don't think it needs to be an either/or choice. What's wrong with liking them both equally?


Exactly, and I think we can all agree that they are better than so much other young adult fiction available out there today.


Sorry, a little off topic, but I loved these books called the Pendragon series. They were cool.
_________________
There's always a bigger fish - Qui Gon Jinn.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Caedus_16
Master
Master

Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 4768
Location: Korriban

DannikJerriko wrote:
Sorry, a little off topic, but I loved these books called the Pendragon series. They were cool.


I heard that, but never got around to reading them. I'll have to give them a shot.
_________________
Perfection is a lifelong pursuit requiring sacrifice. The only way to get it quicker is to sacrifice the most.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Queen Padmè Skywalker
Master
Master

Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 5128
Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Cerrinea wrote:
Actually, I might put Hunger Games up there with Harry Potter, although it's a little bit like apples and oranges. But I don't think it needs to be an either/or choice. What's wrong with liking them both equally?


Nothing at all. I think my surprise when people prefer THG comes from my personal dislike of the writing style.
_________________
All things die, Anakin Skywalker, even stars burn out.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.



Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Jedi Joe
Master
Master

Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Posts: 1519

Having not read or watched either series, The Hunger Games seems much more appealing to me than Harry Potter.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Cerrinea
Master
Master

Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 1491

Well, honestly, I don't think you can really compare the two. The styles are totally different. Hunger Games is very gritty and Suzanne Collins was really brilliant with it.

While the Harry Potter story is dead serious, there's a charm to the books that Rowling just did so well.

I wouldn't want to pick between the two series, but if push came to shove Harry would win.
_________________
Roqoo Depot co-founder.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Caedus_16
Master
Master

Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 4768
Location: Korriban

Cerrinea wrote:
Well, honestly, I don't think you can really compare the two. The styles are totally different. Hunger Games is very gritty and Suzanne Collins was really brilliant with it.

While the Harry Potter story is dead serious, there's a charm to the books that Rowling just did so well.

I wouldn't want to pick between the two series, but if push came to shove Harry would win.


I really thought Suzanne Collins did well with gritty, but I still can't enjoy reading Katniss. I enjoy most other characters but Katniss just falls dead in the water for me whereas Harry was always relatable, personable, and came off more real. Katniss just felt inconsistent.

Harry wins for me to Wink
_________________
Perfection is a lifelong pursuit requiring sacrifice. The only way to get it quicker is to sacrifice the most.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Queen Padmè Skywalker
Master
Master

Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 5128
Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Team Harry!

Wait....

What have I become?
_________________
All things die, Anakin Skywalker, even stars burn out.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.



Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Cerrinea
Master
Master

Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 1491

Caedus_16 wrote:
I really thought Suzanne Collins did well with gritty, but I still can't enjoy reading Katniss. I enjoy most other characters but Katniss just falls dead in the water for me whereas Harry was always relatable, personable, and came off more real. Katniss just felt inconsistent.

Harry wins for me to Wink


Actually, I really related to Katniss and liked her. Probably because she's so much like me: snarky and unfriendly (but deep down inside really cares a lot).
_________________
Roqoo Depot co-founder.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Caedus_16
Master
Master

Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 4768
Location: Korriban

Cerrinea wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
I really thought Suzanne Collins did well with gritty, but I still can't enjoy reading Katniss. I enjoy most other characters but Katniss just falls dead in the water for me whereas Harry was always relatable, personable, and came off more real. Katniss just felt inconsistent.

Harry wins for me to Wink


Actually, I really related to Katniss and liked her. Probably because she's so much like me: snarky and unfriendly (but deep down inside really cares a lot).


I enjoyed her "rough exterior but loving interior thing" but couldn't stand other things. I just don't think Collins realistically wrote a teenage female character living in a starvation plagued post-apocalyptic wasteland. She came off as too concerned over modern teenage things rather than the practical things it would have made more sense for her to have on her mind.
_________________
Perfection is a lifelong pursuit requiring sacrifice. The only way to get it quicker is to sacrifice the most.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Reepicheep
Master
Master

Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 6722
Location: Sailing into the unknown

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

My sister is well into The Hunger Games now and she agrees with me that it's better than Harry Potter. Razz


Reep, buddy......I think our friendship has come to an end. Wink


Razz

I told her that Narnia kind of spoiled Harry Potter for me, because it's like watching Star Trek after Star Wars. Yeah Trek has spaceships and aliens and stuff, but Star Wars that... and so much more!

I will concede that Rowling's technical writing skills are superior to Collins, but the idea behind THG is better imo. I mean magic in textbooks, really? Wink

EDIT: Gary Ross has resumed negotiations with Lionsgate. Lionsgate would be fools if they don't give Ross a raise. After THG, they can easily afford it, but they can't afford to get rid of Ross.
_________________

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Jedi Joe
Master
Master

Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Posts: 1519

Reepicheep wrote:
I will concede that Rowling's technical writing skills are superior to Collins, but the idea behind THG is better imo. I mean magic in textbooks, really? Wink


That's what I mean. As someone who has never read/watched either series, a future post-apocalyptic world where people participate in survival games to win food for their district is much more exciting to me than kids going to a school to learn witchcraft and wizardry.

Of course, I'm more of a sci-fi guy, and generally not a fan of fantasy (few exceptions obviously Razz ), so Cerrinea is definitely right in the fact that it is comparing apples to oranges. It all depends on what your tastes are.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Queen Padmè Skywalker
Master
Master

Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 5128
Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Reepicheep wrote:


I will concede that Rowling's technical writing skills are superior to Collins, but the idea behind THG is better imo. I mean magic in textbooks, really? Wink


I guess it all depends if you could get into it. I personally found it engaging. Believe it or not, I actually found the Narnia books disappointing when I first read them. It really does all come down to personal taste. Caedus can't love THG because of Katniss, I can't because of the writing style.

I still adore the movie, though, and hope that Ross is kept on, if only for consistency's sake.
_________________
All things die, Anakin Skywalker, even stars burn out.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.



Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.


View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 10 of 13
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Display posts from previous:

  

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights 2 by Scott Stubblefield