Darth Maul: Death Sentence by Tom Taylor
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Maul: Death Sentence by Tom Taylor
 PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote  

As announced by Dark Horse, comic writer Tom Taylor will be doing a four issue Darth Maul comic mini-series. No name, details, or release date yet.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Last edited by Darth Skuldren on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:53 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Oooh, I'm interested. I still need to get the other Maul comic series.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Darth Maul - Death Sentence is announced!

Quote:
STAR WARS: DARTH MAUL–DEATH SENTENCE #1

By now the galaxy has learned the terrible truth: Sith Lord Darth Maul still lives. Worse, he has joined forces with his brother Savage Opress!

The Jedi are searching for them and, after Maul and Opress cut a murderous swath through the Outer Rim, so is an army of mercenaries hired by a wealthy mine owner.

Darth Maul has a price on his head, and for him there is only one way to deal with such a problem: go directly to the source!

Death Sentence #1 is on sale July 25, 2012. Written by Tom Taylor (Invasion) and cover by Dave Dorman (Dark Empire, Crimson Empire)

(via Tom Taylor)

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Pass.....bring on Yoda!!

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

More childish stories to ruin a great character. I'm so gonna pass this over.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cover is awesome but I will be ignoring this like day-old restaurant leftovers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote  

Snooze you lose. I'll be checking this out. I really like Tom Taylor's comic work.

Dave took a picture with the original painting for the cover. I like how he paints them still. They usually look pretty cool.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151466452735063&set=a.10150219129525063.447858.565985062&type=1

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Snooze you lose. I'll be checking this out. I really like Tom Taylor's comic work.

Dave took a picture with the original painting for the cover. I like how he paints them still. They usually look pretty cool.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151466452735063&set=a.10150219129525063.447858.565985062&type=1

Lemme know how it is. If I get enough good reviews on it I may succumb, but I still can't get behind this bringing Maul back.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I still don't like the idea of Maul being back but, since they have brought him back I have two questions: will the comic books and TCW clash as far as events like other comic series and TCW? Will continuity be maintained?

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That'll depent entirely on George Lucas' whims.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Lord Ree'dius wrote:
That'll depent entirely on George Lucas' whims.

which I think we all know will wind up being "most likely not".

I just don't see the need to bring back Maul. it just clutters up the timeline with a completely unnecessary, contradictory and difficult sub-plot that doesn't really advance the Clone Wars at all.

It doesnt really have any useful purpose in leading to the resolution of the war, its just character use for character's use sake. Which would be OK if it didn't cause so many issues, but it does.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth_Henning wrote:
I just don't see the need to bring back Maul. it just clutters up the timeline with a completely unnecessary, contradictory and difficult sub-plot that doesn't really advance the Clone Wars at all.

It doesnt really have any useful purpose in leading to the resolution of the war, its just character use for character's use sake. Which would be OK if it didn't cause so many issues, but it does.

Oh I know the use in bringing him back. Maul was one of the most popular film characters in the Saga, he sells more action figures than almost anyone but the Fett man. He is quiet, crazy, and insane to watch not to mention one of the most terrifying villains appearance-wise in the films. With the re-release of TPM it made sense to try to have more stories involving Maul, but EU stories wouldn't work for wider appeal and neither would comics. The only thing that appeals to hardcore, casual, and non-star wars fans is TCW. And with a show that ALREADY has so many continuity issues as to render it a joke (not to mention episodes that make no sense and yet all the sense there is like the Mortis trilogy) this move isn't even shocking, just stupid. Yes, the episodes were decent but in continuity they still don't make sense.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote  

I don't know, Maul's rebirth really isn't any worse than Boba Fett being brought back to life. And Fett certainly has his fair share of continuity issues. What makes Maul worse? Both times George wanted them dead, only this time it's George that wants them back to life. On the plus side, we get more Maul stories, a character a lot of people like.

And so far, in my opinion, the new Maul stories are enjoyable.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Personally, I'm looking forward to this.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Caedus_16 wrote:
Darth_Henning wrote:

Oh I know the use in bringing him back. Maul was one of the most popular film characters in the Saga, he sells more action figures than almost anyone but the Fett man. He is quiet, crazy, and insane to watch not to mention one of the most terrifying villains appearance-wise in the films. With the re-release of TPM it made sense to try to have more stories involving Maul, but EU stories wouldn't work for wider appeal and neither would comics. The only thing that appeals to hardcore, casual, and non-star wars fans is TCW. And with a show that ALREADY has so many continuity issues as to render it a joke (not to mention episodes that make no sense and yet all the sense there is like the Mortis trilogy) this move isn't even shocking, just stupid. Yes, the episodes were decent but in continuity they still don't make sense.

Let me rephrase my original point, "I don't see the need to bring back maul *from an in-universe perspective*". I kind of walked into your response though. It is clearly a marketing play, pure and simple, and its reqally annoying.

As much as I wish it were otherwise, you're quite right, the EU isn't all that popular (compared to TCW or the movies that is, most novels and comics are still best-sellers, but not top 10).

I really pity Leland or whoever else gets stuck working out all the continuity issues within TCW without managing to screw over either the entire show, or massive parts of the EU. The mortis trilogy was wierd, but actually was far from the worst or most non-sensical set of episodes that we've seen.

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I don't know, Maul's rebirth really isn't any worse than Boba Fett being brought back to life. And Fett certainly has his fair share of continuity issues. What makes Maul worse? Both times George wanted them dead, only this time it's George that wants them back to life. On the plus side, we get more Maul stories, a character a lot of people like.

And so far, in my opinion, the new Maul stories are enjoyable.

There are a LOT of Maul stories that could be made BEFORE he got himself killed in TPM. In fact, about 30 or so years of them (If I have my timing right, haven't read Plageus yet).

But to compare Fett to Maul, most of the continuity issues with Fett were from the early EU writers giving him a background that was eventually over-written by the prequels. Other than that they're minimal.

And the MAJOR difference here is that bringing Fett back to life didn't screw up any continuity, because he was resurected almost immediately after the EU started so the galaxy didn't move on for a decade without him. Also, he's a relatively minor player (in galactic terms), who won't be around for every major conflict.

Maul by comparison is a fully traine Sith, that the entire jedi council (if not the order) knows about. And to suggest that Palpatine wouldn't know that he was still alive somewhere in the galaxy is strange and unlikely (especially with the resources that its indicated that he has to hand).

I can see how the two resurections are similar, but the continuity issues that they engender are not.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 4