Hunger Games (Spoilers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote  

I can't stay silent.

Harry Potter is way better than The Hunger Games. Both are geared toward younger readers, both are a series, a set, defined series with an overarching story. Thus, I think it's very fair to compare the two.

First off, I think Harry Potter had a much better delivery method. The story was smoother, the narration, characterization, events, perspectives, it all worked very well together and delivered a very enjoyable series that felt like it was meticulously planned out.

The Hunger Games felt like clunky, rough, disjointed. A lot of that can be blamed on the first person narration by Katniss whose drugged up and thus the story gets blurry and rushed at points. That perspective also hinders the ability of the story to present a larger picture.

Another personal opinion, I thought there was some serious logic flaws in The Hunger Games. When I read Harry Potter, I didn't get that.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:
Another personal opinion, I thought there was some serious logic flaws in The Hunger Games.

You know, I have to agree a bit here. The one that really jumped out at me was Haymitch not telling Katniss about the rescue plan in Catching Fire. It made no sense. it wasn't enough to break the story for me, but if I felt like it, I could pretty easily shred that plot point to pieces.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I can't stay silent.

Harry Potter is way better than The Hunger Games. Both are geared toward younger readers, both are a series, a set, defined series with an overarching story. Thus, I think it's very fair to compare the two.

First off, I think Harry Potter had a much better delivery method. The story was smoother, the narration, characterization, events, perspectives, it all worked very well together and delivered a very enjoyable series that felt like it was meticulously planned out.

The Hunger Games felt like clunky, rough, disjointed. A lot of that can be blamed on the first person narration by Katniss whose drugged up and thus the story gets blurry and rushed at points. That perspective also hinders the ability of the story to present a larger picture.

Another personal opinion, I thought there was some serious logic flaws in The Hunger Games. When I read Harry Potter, I didn't get that.

I have to agree with you, Skuls. Although, you can find flaws in Harry Potter if you feel like looking. Take the time turner bit in PoA. I can overlook stuff like that in the service of the greater plot. The same with The Hunger Games. I don't actively try to find plot holes. I still feel that Potter is a better written, better characterized series, though.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Not gonna read all 11 pages of this thread, but I just finished the books and here's my take:

- I saw the movie first. Very much enjoyed it. Really made me want to read the books and learn more about the world of "The Hunger Games."

- Read "The Hunger Games" and was blown away by how true to the book the movie was. It was probably the closest thing to "putting the book into a movie" that I've ever seen. Seriously, it was a great book.

- Read "Catching Fire," and was a bit letdown. It's still a very good book, but there's a LOT that happens in it. It takes place over a larger chunk of time, and the Hunger Game rehash didn't have the same drama that the first book's had. Also, in the first book, the reader knew what was essentially going to happen next (get picked for Hunger Games, prepare and train, fight in the games, etc). In the second book, this idea is turned on its head. Katniss wants to run away, she wants to fight the system... everything she wants to do and plans to do ends up not happening.

- Read "Mockingjay," and LOVED it. I realize it's somewhat of a downer, and a lot of the deaths really hit me hard, but I thought that the emotional impact made it an overall great read. In fact, I'd rank it with the first book as a fantastic book (and personally, I'd probably list it as my favorite). It's shocking, it's intense, its a page-turner, and she ends up with the person I WAS ROOTING FOR HER TO THE WHOLE TIME.

tl;dnr: Really enjoyed the series.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe wrote:
Having not read or watched either series, The Hunger Games seems much more appealing to me than Harry Potter.

Nice to know I'm not the only one here, who hasn't read or watched either series (well I watched the first HP film).

Like Jedi Joe I prefer sci-fi to fantsy and from little info I have on The Hunger Games/Potter, The Hunger Games seems a lot more appealing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Darth Skuldren wrote:

Of course, I haven't read The Hunger Games, so I can't comment on the comparison, but I'd argue that Harry Potter had a similar delivery method. Harry Potter wasn't first person, but it was presented in the third person limited, not third person omniscient. In third person limited, it's centred around one character (but not written in first person), and as such the narrative can only convey as much information as the character knows. Only in a handful of instances does the character focus shift from Harry to that of another character.

Maybe it was better delivered because Harry had a more central role? That he did a lot more of the decision making? Again, I don't know, having not read THG.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

VileZero wrote:
- Read "The Hunger Games" and was blown away by how true to the book the movie was. It was probably the closest thing to "putting the book into a movie" that I've ever seen. Seriously, it was a great book.

- Read "Catching Fire," and was a bit letdown. It's still a very good book, but there's a LOT that happens in it. It takes place over a larger chunk of time, and the Hunger Game rehash didn't have the same drama that the first book's had. Also, in the first book, the reader knew what was essentially going to happen next (get picked for Hunger Games, prepare and train, fight in the games, etc). In the second book, this idea is turned on its head. Katniss wants to run away, she wants to fight the system... everything she wants to do and plans to do ends up not happening.

- Read "Mockingjay," and LOVED it. I realize it's somewhat of a downer, and a lot of the deaths really hit me hard, but I thought that the emotional impact made it an overall great read. In fact, I'd rank it with the first book as a fantastic book (and personally, I'd probably list it as my favorite). It's shocking, it's intense, its a page-turner, and she ends up with the person I WAS ROOTING FOR HER TO THE WHOLE TIME.

^ Agreed with everything. The "rehash" of the Games is what I'm worried about for the Catching Fire movie. I think it will stick out even more. It's hard to get to hung up on it though because, although the intensity and drama was higher in the first Game, the second Game had characters that were much more memorable. When I read the books for the first time I had to remember who characters like Clove and Thresh were. Remembering Finnick, Johanna, Nuts, Volts etc. was no problem. I think it was worth it just for them.

I love how this series mirrors adolesence. At the beginning (teenage rebellious stage, come on we all go through it) we want to see the Capitol burn. And then we find out that a rebellion exists (whatever faction you might identify with as a teen)! You slowly begin to realize District 13 isn't as good as you hoped it would be, but hey it's better than the Capitol right? Then the bomb drops (literally).

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

VileZero wrote:

Also agree with everything you said. "Catching Fire" is also my least favorite, for the same reasons you listed. Glad to find someone else with those views. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

There's a Hunger Games convention in Chicago! (via Huffington Post)

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, it's official. Lionsgate and Gary Ross issued a joint email. Ross won't be directing Catching Fire.

http://is.gd/28gbhh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Hear that sound? It's the continuity shattering. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Somebody call Michael Bay!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe, I really hope you're trolling here. I shudder to think what Michael Bay would do to Catching Fire.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

More 'plosions! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm feeling very bad about the future of this series right now. Thanks a lot Gary Ross and/or Lionsgate. That's brilliant. Rolling Eyes

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 11 of 13