Crosscurrent by Paul S. Kemp Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crosscurrent by Paul S. Kemp Discussion
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:28 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Confirmed by Paul S. Kemp last night via Livejournal, he is writing a post-LOTF standlone novel slated for 2010. He says this about it:

The novel, currently untitled, will be a standalone, occurs after the events of the Legacy of the Force series, and will feature a Jedi who has been mentioned by name only a handful of times in previous Star Wars novels, and who has (as far as I know) never been developed at all (I tried very hard to convince the Del Rey editors to allow me to use a previously unused character, and they were gracious in that regard; the story is also entirely of my own creation, so thatís pretty cool, too). Iím not yet authorized to give any more detail on the character or story, but will when I can.

Long story short, I get to play in this incredible sandbox with characters and a story that is basically my own (which is pretty much the way it is in the Realms, too, come to think of it). I think thatís damned cool.

The novel is scheduled for release in very early 2010. Iím in the process of writing it now. This will have no effect on my next Forgotten Realms trilogy, the first book of which will also release in 2010.Ē

Let the speculation begin!

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

Last edited by MasterAndrew15 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ha, ha! I'm all for standalones these days, and this one has me excited. Even though we have next to no information about it. Hmm...a barely mentioned Jedi. Whoever could it be? Confused

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Kemp really wants people to see this as a stand-alone. In his replies to fan comments to his blog post he writes http://paulskemp.livejournal.com/201733.html :

The book is really a standalone. I'll try to nest it firmly in the existing lore of the EU, but a bunch of previous knowledge will not be required.

...this really will be a standalone. It fits squarely in EU lore, but you needn't be an expert on the EU to (hopefully) enjoy the story and characters.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote  

This is awesome to hear! First off it's a standalone book, which I think are always good because the story lines are clear and don't suffer from being handed off. Secondly, it's going to bring life to a fresh character instead of the golden three. Now off to wookieepedia to compile a list of the possible candidates...

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:
Del Rey editors to allow me to use a previously unused character, and they were gracious in that regard; the story is also entirely of my own creation, so thatís pretty cool, too).

Awesome! I am really intrigued now! I went through some character listings on wookiepedia but nothing is jumping out at me. Valin Horn - or is he too developed?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I would say that Valin Horn might be too developed a character after LotF to fit Kemp's description of the main character in his novel.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote  

From the sounds of it, this character has only been mentioned and has appeared more than once. That greatly narrows down the possibilities. I'm thinking Madurrin, Markre Medjev, Doran Sarkin-Tainer, or Wonetun.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Doran Sarkin-Tainer is a great call Darth Skuldren! But being a fan of the X-Wing series of course I would jump at that idea. Wink When I first read the thread I was thinking of characters from Lotf, but thats not necessarily true - its just characters mentioned in Star Wars novels.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I don't know who ya'll are talking about. Agh! Definitely infrequently mentioned, then. Will be nice to learn about somebody new. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Could it be? *gasps* Could it be Seha?
Probably not, she'll probably be staying with Aaron Allston for now. It might be Lowbacca, he's been around for the longest time, but has never been fully developed. I love the idea of getting to know other jedi, who aren't just Skywalker-descents. These days there are no Kit Fistos or Plo Koons anymore.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I was expecting to see Seha's name get thrown out eventually Very Happy

As soon as I read the post, I immediately thought of Kyle Katarn. Of course, this doesn't completely fit the description, but the name did pop up. I'm not going to put too much thought into it because I don't want to be disappointed when they finally do announce the character (probably sometime next year if the book doesn't come out until 2010). Anyway, I'll still see what others are thinking Smile

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

You, know, Kyle Katarn was the first name that came into my head after reading the article, but thinking about it, I'd have to say that it probably won't be him, I mean, hasn't he been developed too much, what with the games, the Dark Forces Trilogy, and his appearances in LOTF? No, this is someone who's only been mentioned, so that kicks Valin out too (a real shame). Sarkin-Tainer is a good suggestion, I think, and keeps another X-Wing related thread going, alright!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

But it doesn't say where the character hasn't been developed; Kyle was never developed in the books, just mentioned; but, he was developed in the games and a single comic issue, so maybe it isn't him. I don't see the Sarkin-Tainer as a likely candidate either, because I don't recall reading the name much. I think I would catch that name because of the Tainer from the X-wing books, but maybe I have missed it. Confused

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:18 am Reply with quote  

Quote:
mentioned by name only a handful of times in previous Star Wars novels

And to his knowledge, has not been developed at all. If they give this guy access to the Holocron database, then it's very likely he could pick someone out that even old wookieepedia won't have listed. We're talking about some sideline character who is only mentioned by name from time to time. Though the more I think about it, the less sure I am of who we can and cannot eliminate from the possibility list. We don't know just how 'familiar' this author is with the EU.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

For some strange reason, the first name that I thought of (yes, even before Seha) was Twool. Neutral No idea why. He's dead though anyway.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 6