The Lost Tribe of the Sith: The Collected Stories
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Lost Tribe of the Sith: The Collected Stories
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote  

The Lost Tribe of the Sith: The Collected Stories will be a trade paperback edition novel collecting all eight of The Lost Tribe eBooks, with a new 100 page plus novella entitled Pandemonium, as well as maps of Kesh.

The release date has been moved up to July 24 (was July 31)

You can see John Jackson Miller's details on the maps here.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Re: The Lost Tribe of the Sith: The Collected Stories
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I HATE HATE HATE Trade Paperbacks.

But I'm thrilled about the inclusion of Maps.

So....kinda bittersweet anouncement for me.

Still definitely looking forward to getting my hands on this, but I hope that LFL isn't going to start pushing this new size format constantly. It costs more and is of far lower quality than a mass market paperback (let alone hard cover), more fragile, and more inconvenient to transport and hold. Poor publishing decision on format.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Not liking the TPB, either, but I will definitely be buying this. Been hoping this would come in print.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

What's a trade paperback edition novel?

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think its like a comic TPB. Same size anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Not quite the same size as a comic TPB.

Remember those The Clone Wars novels? Wild Space, No Prisoners, Gambit: Stealth, and Gambit: Siege? Those were novel Trade Paperbacks.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ah, there we go. That makes sense.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I wonder about the desirability of paying for something that you can read for free. The only appeal I see here is for star wars completists, but I think this will end up being a loss as far as publishing profits go.

Let me state that I haven't read any of them. My main confusion about these novellas is that they take place largely during the Old Republic, so will feature very little of the characters from FOTJ. It's cool that they fleshed out the history, but I wonder how they are really relevant to anything outside of themselves.

I'd be interested in reading them from that perspective, but I don't want to buy this book for the above reason.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I wonder about the desirability of paying for something that you can read for free. The only appeal I see here is for star wars completists, but I think this will end up being a loss as far as publishing profits go.

Let me state that I haven't read any of them. My main confusion about these novellas is that they take place largely during the Old Republic, so will feature very little of the characters from FOTJ. It's cool that they fleshed out the history, but I wonder how they are really relevant to anything outside of themselves.

I'd be interested in reading them from that perspective, but I don't want to buy this book for the above reason.

The maps and final story are the only draw, and can easily be partaken of for a quick reader in about 20-30 minutes in a store if you have the time for it. I preordered this so I get it for the minute 8 bucks it originally was, but for those picking it up physically I can easily see how it won't be worth it, especially when its more of a history. Having said that, the first 5 (I didn't read past that) were good and I'm looking forward to finishing the plot.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think a lot of it is that a lof of us just don't like reading on a screen or having to print things out from same and have lose or bindered papers around.

Add the exclusive content and its worth the price. More so if it had been mass market but ah well.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You mean that you aren't surgically grafted to your ipad?

I know what you mean, I hate reading books on a screen too. But I'm not sure if most people nowadays feel that way.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote  

I'm fine with reading the eBooks on my Kindle. Reading on PC isn't very enjoyable though.

As for the collected stories, I definitely want to read the new novella and the maps might be fun. The collector in me would also like having a physical book to put on the shelf.

But it is an interesting question. At $7.99, was the money worth the product, a new novella and physical copies of the free eBooks? Is $12 too much for the slightly oversized paperbook? (wonder if they did the oversized because of the maps)

Amazon still has the mass market paperback listed. Not sure if that's a mistake or if they're going to do it in multiple formats. The eBook version is listed at just $4.99, though in that case, you really are just paying for the novella and the maps.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'd buy it b/c I don't own a Kindle, Nook or, any other e-reading device.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Personally, I can't stand eBooks. I have read most of the Lost Tribe stories, and I greatly enjoyed them. But the honest truth is that I had little motivation to read a screen, and I have yet to read the final two. So I'm quite excited to get this in print.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote  

Lost Tribe of the Sith has gone through a second printing and a third has been scheduled for the end of the month according to John Jackson Miller. Sounds like the book sales are doing good. Maybe we'll get to see some more stories.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2