Release Schedule Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Hmm .. I'm inclined to think that the slowing down of stories is a good thing. First, because it's easier on the wallet of many a fan, and second, because it lends me to believe that they're putting more effort into each book, rather than stretching themselves thing.

This may or may not be true, I don't know, as I've not put in the legwork.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Given the not-particularly-warm reception to the recent TCW, LOTF and FOTJ series, I can see why you'd think that.

But the most "packed" point in the timeline of releases was actually during the second half of NJO when it and the early Clone Wars novels were coming out (as well as other really good books).

Unless one writer is pumping out several books a year for the franchise, the production of works shouldn't affect the quality. There are at least 3-4 editors who look over each of them, and that may be a bit of a choke point, but with good writers, their job shouldn't be particularly complicated.

Now the "easier on the wallet" argument I agree with.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, I don't care about the "easy on the wallet" argument, because paperbacks are cheap and you don't have to buy them at all. I don't think it enters into the equation. I've noticed a lot of people here read the library versions, so there are options to save the wallet.

As far as quality goes, different authors were working on different books and eras, so I don't think that really applies.

Now, one factor may be that with the cartoon series, they are backing off of writing anything to do with that time period thanks to someone not sticking to continuity. But at the same time, they have expanded greatly on the old republic storylines. So there seems to be plenty of opportunities to regularly give us new novels.

I have no idea how well these books sell, but maybe that was an issue. Maybe they felt they oversaturated the market when they were released that frequently.

All that said, I guess my hope is that the current slowdown is due to the end of the contract and Sue being replaced, and it just taking time to sort through all that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

kurtdc wrote:
Well, I don't care about the "easy on the wallet" argument, because paperbacks are cheap and you don't have to buy them at all. I don't think it enters into the equation. I've noticed a lot of people here read the library versions, so there are options to save the wallet.

As far as quality goes, different authors were working on different books and eras, so I don't think that really applies.

Now, one factor may be that with the cartoon series, they are backing off of writing anything to do with that time period thanks to someone not sticking to continuity. But at the same time, they have expanded greatly on the old republic storylines. So there seems to be plenty of opportunities to regularly give us new novels.

I have no idea how well these books sell, but maybe that was an issue. Maybe they felt they oversaturated the market when they were released that frequently.

All that said, I guess my hope is that the current slowdown is due to the end of the contract and Sue being replaced, and it just taking time to sort through all that.

The end of the last contract was slow too (between NJO and LOTF if I'm not mistaken). And the editor change-over wouldn't have helped either I doubt. Especially since Sue has been doing this since the EU started (essentially).

I presume that's the major issue.

Thankfully most of the books being written now have little to do with the Clone Wars, it limits what we can do with Dark Times (for now), but pre EP1 is basically empty, post FOTJ is wide open(ish), and then theres' the war between the New Republic and Imperial Remnant that's basically been ignored in its later stages (between Ackbar and Pellaeon), the years between NJO and DN, and DN and LOTF (a full decade for those), not to speak of the old republic that they've just started on in earnet, and how about we finally see some really ancient books between Xim and the Hutts, that's been a WHILE in coming. Or something about what exactly happened with the Chiss or Ssi-Ruuk.

No shortage of stuff too do, just finding good authors for it, and not overwhelming the editors. I think that can be most of the challenge. Even a good author can only get out a couple or three books per year, and that's a challenge I'm sure. But there's not hsortage of writers who seem more than willing to.

manpower probably is a shortage to some degree, but I think the main issue is the end of the contract and staff change over.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:25 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

re: my starwarstimeline upcoming release-date list

Thanks for the nice words, guys.... The list is updated everyday (today added SWInsider # 134 and Space Warped collection for instance)... But the release-dae-thingy is the only thing really worthwhile on the site as of now (as are the links to timelines): the rest is still under construction and will probably not be finished until 2035 or so... Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Nice to see you here Eddie and nice job on the timeline.

I was super stoked when I saw your addition for the upcoming book on SW action figures that I had no idea about.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Hah, I deserve no nice comments on the timeline, as that part of the website is faaaaar from finished.... And regarding the Upcoming thread, that's the part of the website I am most proud of... It contains all comics, books (both juie and adult) I can find...

Did you ever see the Japanese 6-volume series of action figure books? They were quite amazing as well... I hope(d) they would continue the series, but 2008 (I believe) was the last one...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Boba Fett is Dead # 1 Diamond Retailer Variant

http://summits.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/54/872?articleID=118904

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 2