Should the Meditation Grove stay?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Meditation Grove Stay?
Yes, it should stay as is
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
No, it doesn't fit on a Star Wars forum
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Yes, but only if the Grove rules are overhauled and the Grove given a more specific purpose
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 12

Should the Meditation Grove stay?
 PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote  

So the following question (and explanation for why the question has been raised) was presented by OMB:

Quote:
A general question to the forum public:

Would any tears be shed if I shut down the Meditation Grove completely? I have rarely seen the benefits. I appreciate the ability to discuss deeper topics as adults, but on almost every occasion somebody ends up insulted, feelings are hurt, and bonds are shattered.

I think the general atmosphere of the forums would be improved if we cut out this section. After all, this is a Star Wars forum. The fact that we have sections for non-Star Wars discussion at all is a bonus, not a necessity. There are plenty of other places to specifically discuss these issues online.

Keep in mind this is a question the Admins are posing to YOU. If you want the Meditation Grove kept tell us why. If you think it should go tell us why. The admins are looking for some feedback before making a ruling so it is important that they get some.

EDIT:
Proposed rule changes:

If you wish to participate in a discussion come in with an informed, open mind. Personal quests to blast the oppositions argument to pieces is not acceptable.

Try to keep this informal and friendly. We want this to be a place of discussion and exchange of ideas, not a battle between Jedi and Sith.

Talk about the topic, not each other. Personal attacks (calling someone an idiot or questioning their integrity etc.) will be removed by a mod/admin. Mod/admins reserve the right to take any additional actions required on a case by case basis.

Try to keep topics based on specific events or ideas instead of about a generalized philosophy, theology political stance or ideology, etc.

All members are welcome to share their views, any discrimination or hostility based on political alignment, religion, gender, race, or sexual orientation is unacceptable.

When posting facts you MUST provide a link to a source or reference. Other posters have the right to request a source if one has not been provided.

When responding to the point of a specific poster use the quote function. This avoids misunderstandings when addressing points made several posts ago.

This forum is for discussion of serious topics so keep a serious attitude. Think before making a joke and use emoticons to help clue people in that you are joking. Avoid using sarcasm as much as possible, we can't hear your voice or read any facial cues so it is quite probable that someone will mistake a sarcastic comment for a serious one. Posting links to jokes by others (The Daily Show, Colbert Report or other sources) falls under this rule; just because it is a national show doesn't mean their jokes are never in bad taste. Most of all use common sense! We all enjoy a good joke when we laugh together, but no one likes to be laughed at.

Last edited by Salaris Vorn on Mon May 07, 2012 12:36 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I'm for keeping it. I like that I get to read other people's opinions - ones that differ from my own - and for the most part it's done in a friendly, positive manner. I know that my own knowledge of several subjects has been expanded just from this discussions in this place.

Yes, there are sometimes disagreements that become heated, but that's true for everywhere (even in other parts of the EUC), and we're certainly not as bad as other places. I say keep it. These are sensitive topics, but they are topics that should be discussed, and so the benefits outweigh the detriments, in my opinion.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I vote for keeping it as well. I like talking about serious issues from time to time, but it's hard to find the right people to talk about them with. The Med Grove is often a good place for it. Like Life said, more often than not these threads are kept under control and there has been some really good discussions. I have also had my knowledge expanded on various issues.

Anyone who doesn't like these discussions can ignore the Med Grove. I'm not a TV guy so I rarely post in the television thread. Similarly if someone doesn't like talking about serious issues doesn't have to post.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Keep it. As long as people can keep themselves under control I have no problem with it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Keep it. I hate it when communities try to clamp down on political/religious discussion. I personally enjoy reading what you guys talk about. I don't post much anymore, but I like observing the discussion, and from what I've seen, it's civil most of the time. We have this in a special section for a reason, and if someone doesn't like it, they don't need to read it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I posted my thoughts in the homosexuality thread.

I am in favor of keeping it - maybe shut down temporarily so people can expand on guidelines to help keep it civil (although its hard to do over the long run).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Though I don't comment on some topics, it is interesting to read the views of folks who do. As long as folks are civil and express their views about a topic and not about another person I say keep it.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I'm in favour of keeping it. We need a good healthy discussion on impotent topics, and shutting down MedGro (that's what I'm calling it now. It's cool Wink ) will halt discussion and will probably work it's way into other threads.

I mean, this is a Star Wars Forum. As we all know people have very strong opinions when it comes to the SWEU, and we let them voice their opinions on why TCW should be shut down, why none of the Old Republic should count, LotF shouldn't have happened (I'm just making these up, but have heard them elsewhere) and we discuss. Occasionally it gets out of hand, but things often work themselves out, sometimes with the need of a mod.

Plus, like everyone else said, it's interesting to see what other people think of stuff.

I vote keep.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I vote kill it.

Look, we're opinionated people. But let's face it: no amount of debate is going to change anyone's mind on any issue. Once we've made up our minds, they're pretty much made up. This means that the debating will always be circular, because there's no give and take. Yes, sometimes debates do get personal - and I'd like to think that people are smart enough to know when to take a timeout if that becomes the case - but who knows, right?

It doesn't serve a real purpose here, and that's why I think the vast majority of our users don't frequent this section.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm with Vile on this one. He's right that it doesn't serve any purpose because it isn't a true discussion where everyone is actually entertaining with an open mind the other POV. The one purpose it does serve is to create drama.

Also, it could be taking away from the Star Wars discussion which is the purpose of this board and something I'd like to see more of.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

VileZero wrote:
But let's face it: no amount of debate is going to change anyone's mind on any issue.

Allow me to disagree here. My opinions have changed because of discussion in the past. I think many discussions (including Star Wars) reach a point where there's a stalemate and from that point on it's just back and forth re-stating of opinions. A good example, I think would be in the homosexuality thread. I believe in the sanctity of marriage and thus homosexual intercourse being considered immoral is small jump. However, I cannot hope to convince anyone of this without them first accepting sanctity of marriage. The discussion really can't go further from there. Maybe discussion should just stop before it reaches that point, both sides agreeing to disagree, but both sides at the very least more knowledgeable about the opposing side. I wouldn't mind these threads being more informal. I'd love to hear people of other religions or philosophies opinion on these issues (I'm not sure if we have any other religious people here besides Christians). Just to be informed, rather than immediately being on a quest to blast their argument to pieces.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I already said, but I'll say it again.

I think it should have topics about a specific event or idea instead of about a generalized philosophy, theology political stance or ideology, etc.

for instance the thread about school shootings instead of a thread about guns or media violence. That way it stays focused on one issue that can maybe lead to a fruitful discussion, instead of everyone's personal opinions that can go in all directions.

If it's stay or go I'd rather it go. Almost every MG thread I've ever read has just made be angry or upset with what other members are saying so that I either choose to ignore it and not say what I think or say what I think and potentially create a flame war. I guess it's good for people to be open but I don't see the potential benefit of maybe having an interesting discussion that usually doesn't happen anyway outweighing the almost inevitable conflict between members.

If it stays the way it is now I think it will just be a small group of members that all agree with each other and anyone who disagrees will not want to post there. So for those that want it, it depends on if they think that would be worthwhile to have.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote  

So it seems to me that on the one hand people feel that we need a place exclusively for serious discussion of issues/current events. On the other hand people think it should go because discussions typically just turn into defending ones own position and doing their best to demo the other position without actually listening/considering if they have valid points.

Now heere is my question: what if we reoriented the Grove for only discussion of actual events? Obviously some philosophy would still be present but do you guys think the Grove would produce beneficial discussion if it was only for talking about actual things occuring? For example instead of discussing whether homosexuality is good/bad talk about what's in the news (discrimination, steps taken to address this etc.) or just sharing interesting stuff you may have read ("hey guys I just read about culture X that has a completely different approach and thought you might find it an interesting read too"). All rough examples I'll grant but I hope you get the gist of it.

Anywho I'm going to abstain from voting. To move this forward though it seemed like seeing if there is a compromise we could work out would be better than just a straight majority rules vote on whether to keep the Grove as is or not.

On the voting note would you guys like me to edit the OP to include a poll (I checked and it looks like I can). Assuming it is indeed possible I thought I'd have the following vote options: "Yes keep it as is," "No, it should go" "Yes, but only if the Grove rules are overhauled and the Grove given more specific direction" If you guys like the vote option would these categories be satisficatory or are there other vote options you would like to see?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

The first suggestion: that's a good idea, and I suppose we could give it a trial to see how it goes, if it's successful - though we'd need something at the top of the Grove page so newer members would know the rules.

The second suggestion: a poll would be a more formal counting, yes. I'm for it. Though perhaps we should have a time limit for it?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:53 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

A poll is a good idea.

Also, regardless of whether the topics were specific or broad people will be very defensive about their POVs. You'd still have some some folks who would get insulted or angry because others do not agree with them.

Perhaps, a rule could be put in place where people are encouraged to talk about the topics but, not about each other. Also add a stipulation that, if they do throw negative comments at each other (example: calling another person an idiot) then, their comments would be removed.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 1 of 3