Expanding the EU
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Werehunter wrote:
To be honest, I was never a fan of the Tales of books. Mainly because I could never get past who they put in the books. Was a story really needed for every background character?

YES!! This is Star Wars, dude. Wink

Qouted for troofs.

The original Tales stories were designed to further the ideas put forth in the Star Wars RPG's. I also imagine that at the time they felt it wouldn't have been a good sales approach to introduce original characters that were not seen in the films.

Personally I was stoked reading about how Max Rebo joined the Rebellion.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

The characters basically were all new characters. Sure their face appeared somewhere in the movie, but that's it. I don't think I ever wondered, hey what that alien's back story when watching the film. I don't mind tales of books in general, but these felt more like cash grabs to me then actual attempts to expand the Star Wars story.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Darth Skuldren wrote:
@Baloo: Have you read Shadow Games?

Can't say that I have. Who wrote it and what's it about? I've only read Shadows of the Empire.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Michael Reaves and Maya Bohnhoff wrote it. It's an adventure set before ANH and Dash Rendar is the main character. It also has Han Solo in it and someone who may or may not be another EU character that we know.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

So there's your Dash Rendar novel. Very Happy

I thought the book was a lot of fun to read.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Cerrinea: Say what!? I never had that theory, that's quite interesting O_o

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:53 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I have always been interested in the Empire.
I asked Star Wars Books on FaceBook about possible novels concerning
the Empire on the fringes of Wild Space or Unknown Region.
The reply was there have been discussions but its all about time or authors
suitable.
Im tired of reading Jedi saving the galaxy or the Sith trying to wipe
out government and/ or Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:47 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

What Scoundrels has made me think is how much I'd like someone (Stackpole ?) to write a book about Wedge Antilles' time as a weapon smuggler for the early Rebellion. He bought a freighter aged 18, after the death of his parents, and tried to run a shipping business for a while. There was so much smuggling around Corellia that he couldn't make an honest living and instead of teaming up with a crime lord, like Han, starting smuggling weapons for the Rebellion. His mentor, Booster Terrik, would have been caught by Hal Horn and sent to Kessel during this time, so Wedge is making quite a journey from late childhood to adulthood in this year. School and home - death of his parents - revenge - trading - Booster arrested - smuggling weapons and finally, joining the Rebellion. It would be great to see Wedge making that transition and starting on the path to becoming the man we know.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:42 am Reply with quote  

You know, now that they've done a horror book, a mystery novel, a political thriller, and so on, they should do a comedy book. Best format for it would probably be a collection of short stories. They could get all the established Star Wars writers to let loose with some silly stories. Very Happy

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
You know, now that they've done a horror book, a mystery novel, a political thriller, and so on, they should do a comedy book. Best format for it would probably be a collection of short stories. They could get all the established Star Wars writers to let loose with some silly stories. Very Happy

They've done comedy before. It's called Star Wars Tales. And Tag & Bink. And some episodes of The Clone Wars (Nomad Droids comes to mind). And there's that announced-without-details Seth Green animated series that may be forthcoming.

It rarely works well.

EDIT: One thing that I wouldn't mind seeing is some kind of true romance novel in Star Wars. Nothing sappy, nothing Harlequin, nothing crazy like that. Just a story with strong love/romance themes. Like The Courtship of Princess Leia was supposed to be, but didn't quite work as.

lol, I remember reading on the old StarWars.com forums from Sue Rostoni that the original name for Red Harvest was Star Wars: Black Orchid, named for the flower that the Sith zombie virus is from, but LFL was concerned that the title would imply that it was a romance novel and thus may not sell well. Which sucks, because Black Orchid is so much cooler a name than Red Harvest.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I wouldn't be opposed to a romantic novel.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I wouldn't be opposed to a romantic novel.

That's what the Zekk novel was supposed to be, but that got cancelled. I think it should have been finished or it needs to be revived. For one thing it would do a lot better explaining his survival than the glossing over it got in FotJ where it just said "he showed up alive out of nowhere with a hot Hapan woman".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth Skuldren wrote:

You mean the Wraith Squadron books weren't comedy. I must have misunderstood them then. lol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote  

If they do a romance novel, they have to call it Lovesaber Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

A Zekk love novel? Eew. gag me.

The only love novel I would want to read about would be one about Lando Calrissian, and I'm not sure love would be the right word unless you mean it in the sense of a Barry White song.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
The only love novel I would want to read about would be one about Lando Calrissian, and I'm not sure love would be the right word unless you mean it in the sense of a Barry White song.

This. So much this. In fact, in honor of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpPQBL7PNhs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 3 of 10