Fanfic Activity: Re-creating the "Tales From The"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Creative Works View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

VileZero wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:
Underworld is a cool idea, because it emcompasses Hutts and allows for so much more.

I wouldn't want to narrow the time. Because it's a short story collection, without any links between the stories, then they needn't be constrained by time (unlike something like a Tales from the New Jedi Order, which is necessarily restrictive).

Maybe I want to do one centered in the TOR era, Skuldren wants to do one in the GCW, and VileZero in the Legacy era, etc. Better to leave it vague.

I'll give another few days to give a chance for more people to comment, and then we can start sharing topics (as I said in the intro post, we want to make sure we don't step on each other's toes, so we would want to share the topic/focus/main character).

Well, I kinda like the idea of having some central element that sort of tie the stories together. "Tales of the Bounty Hunters" had the ESB scene, Tales from Jabba's Palace and Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina also included some iconic scene in almost every story. Perhaps there can be a certain MacGuffin or something that can loosely tie our stories together?

These are all true, and that is something worth exploring.

When I was first thinking about this, I was thinking of Tales from the Empire and Tales from the New Republic, which were just short story collections (most of which were from Adventure Journal).

But I like the idea of a central MacGuffin or idea that ties things together. The idea of using Tales from the Underworld as our premise has one advantage: a lot of underworld themes in Star Wars have longevity. The Hutts are long-lived and dynastic. Groups like Black Sun and The Exchange are broken and revived all the time. We could use different mechanisms in different ways to connect the stories together, however lightly.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote  

If it's Tales of the Underworld, we could have a macguffin like some prized object everyone wants. People could be hired to get it, steal, etc.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Darth Skuldren wrote:
If it's Tales of the Underworld, we could have a macguffin like some prized object everyone wants. People could be hired to get it, steal, etc.

Maybe a bunch of bounty hunters/smugglers/treasure hunters are hired to find this thing, and each story would end with them entering the room where the thing is, then the final chapter is what happens when they're all there. Maybe there's some big reveal that there is no secret object, they were all hired for some other reason.

I'm thinking Coruscant/Nar Shadaa for the setting, and we could have stories about the thrill seeker, the guy with a passion for treasure, the Hutt who hires a bunch of foot soldiers etc.

I think with the whole "they end up in the same room at the end" thing that I said, the only way we can really go would be to have a big reveal, as a massive bounty hunter battle would be tedious. Unless you guys have any other ideas.

Edit: Just realised this could feel more like a normal book, rather than a Tales of.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:55 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm in.

Maybe the prize object can be a Sith Artifacts.

Locations featured: CCC, Nar Shadaa, Korriban

Sidious could pay Jorg Kardas' group to look for the holocron or Ventress/Dooku could look for it. The Hutts, Black Sun, the Jedi Order.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DannikJerriko wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:

Maybe a bunch of bounty hunters/smugglers/treasure hunters are hired to find this thing, and each story would end with them entering the room where the thing is, then the final chapter is what happens when they're all there. Maybe there's some big reveal that there is no secret object, they were all hired for some other reason.

I'm thinking Coruscant/Nar Shadaa for the setting, and we could have stories about the thrill seeker, the guy with a passion for treasure, the Hutt who hires a bunch of foot soldiers etc.

I think with the whole "they end up in the same room at the end" thing that I said, the only way we can really go would be to have a big reveal, as a massive bounty hunter battle would be tedious. Unless you guys have any other ideas.

Edit: Just realised this could feel more like a normal book, rather than a Tales of.

We could use elements of this idea. Instead of making it various underworld types seeking the treasure all at once, it could be an ancient treasure, where different people try and find it over time. We'd get an Old Republic story, something pre-TPM, something in the Clone Wars, a few later on, etc. That kind of thing.

Regardless of where it ends up at the end of story A, it ends up lost again, to be found again.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:05 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

T-DLOS, that's a fun idea!! Very Happy

Several eras, several locations, many characters.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Yeah, I agree! Great way. Maybe the first story could be the object being lost/buried/locked away by the original owner or whatever. Then the rest of them as different characters and how they interact with the object. Most will probably be the character going to find it, and maybe one could just be someone researching it, planning to take it. Ooh, what if one is set post-Legacy and is someone researching it, with references to all of the previous stories.

Edit: I mean, this guy could be reading about it, and we could have the effects of all of our other stories on the item (or surrounding the item) come up.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Taral-DLOS wrote:
We could use elements of this idea. Instead of making it various underworld types seeking the treasure all at once, it could be an ancient treasure, where different people try and find it over time. We'd get an Old Republic story, something pre-TPM, something in the Clone Wars, a few later on, etc. That kind of thing.

Regardless of where it ends up at the end of story A, it ends up lost again, to be found again.

So kinda like the Star Wars: Vector comics?

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:

But with better artwork and no required prior timeline knowledge!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Dancelittleewok wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:

Yes! Smile

And also, in theory, each individual story could stand alone. It should not require that you read the stories before to read the subsequent ones.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Dancelittleewok wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:

Yes! Smile

And also, in theory, each individual story could stand alone. It should not require that you read the stories before to read the subsequent ones.

I'd love to attack something like this from perspectives that never get attention. A Hutt main character, a Vong main character, a Chiss character, maybe even just a Baran-Do sage or an Aiing Ti monk or something. Just characters that we've gotten glimpses of (outside Thrawn there have been no Chiss main characters) and we could span this a long way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Pick me, pick me.....I'll take the Chiss challange!!!

I'm all for a Chiss character since, we know from SQ that there are Chiss Science teams that wonder and explore the galaxy.
Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Are we going to expand on canonical nobodies like the actual "Tales of..." books or are we going to write our own characters?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe wrote:
Are we going to expand on canonical nobodies like the actual "Tales of..." books or are we going to write our own characters?

I'm voting for character creation.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Caedus_16 wrote:
Jedi Joe wrote:

I'm voting for character creation.

I'll second that!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Creative Works

Page 2 of 5